uniqs

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

[Bill] No longer paying sales tax?

I notice that my last two bills do not include a city sales tax of $2.81 added on to the $72.95 that I pay. Is Comcast no longer collecting local sales taxes? I can't imagine that the city has dropped sales taxes on cable service.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

We've never paid sales tax on our Comcast HSI, but we're out in the country (Redwood Valley) in an unincorporated county (Mendocino) area.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

We're still being charged tax.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to JJ Johnson

Premium Member

to JJ Johnson
Holy shit, Like 5 percent city sales tax. Even philadelphia only gets 1 percent of a sales tax. i dont apy any city tax but i pay a state tax on some parts of my cable bill. I think its only the tv portion of my bill. I dont think the feds allow internet to be taxed.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

3 edits

tshirt to JJ Johnson

Premium Member

to JJ Johnson
I think you'll see it back in a month or two.
Here, after the rate adjustment, there was no tax the first month, then 19 cents sales tax this month, which I'm fairly sure will be the correct amount of 9.8 cents next month . (which means most months we will pay a dime followed by a nine cent month, and so on)

edit:Actual amount was $0.16, and should be $0.08.1 per month, billing says it is STATE sales tax on TV only

MOWAA
join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL

MOWAA to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
In Florida services are not taxable under state Law.
Our Company also is a Non Profit so we don't pay tax in the first place.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Holy shit, Like 5 percent city sales tax.

3.85%, which is pretty typical of towns in Colorado. Unlike PA, we have state, county, and city sales taxes. Only the city sales tax has ever been charged by Comcast.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
The differnce here being sales tax is high, but NO state income tax!
In washington we pay sales tax on internet purchases, but not internet service (at least not yet)

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to JJ Johnson

MVM

to JJ Johnson
It's possible some definitions changed as to what is and is not taxable.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

I just received a reply to a question that I asked of the city's sales tax department:

> In response to your question, Larimer County District Court determined
> that the Comcast internet access charges are not taxable by the City
> of Fort Collins.

Very interesting. Would that mean that past city sales taxes should be refunded? Let's see... 12 years x 12 months x ~2.50 = $360.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Maybe after it's been upheld in a higher court (no city is going to let all the money go back.

The trouble with a blanket refund (most likely result) is then the city has to add some tax or fee to pay it back and what you recieve (minus legal fees and court costs) will be much less then you will end up paying for the cities mistake

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

The city's sales tax department has emailed me back saying that I can request a refund of the sales taxes going back three years from the date of the request. That works out to about $100.

But they want copies of my Comcast bills. Turns out that I've gone "paperless" over that period, and there are only a year's worth of past bills available in PDF in my account info online. I just finished a live conversation with a completely clueless Comcast customer service rep. Took me 30 minutes just to (I hope) convey what I need. And... she claims that they need to _mail_ me the bill copies. So much for saving a tree.

Comcast never ceases to amaze.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

EMAIL them(billing dept) a carefully worded request, provide reliable contact info, and be patient, it will eventaully reach some one who can send them by paper or electronicly

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
My Colorado Springs Comcast bill itemizes State, County and City sales taxes. Now, in Colorado, services are exempt from sales tax. If you have an appliance installed, you pay sales tax for the hardware but not for the labor. I guess bytes are a product, so you're paying sales tax on that product. Hmmm....
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to JJ Johnson

Premium Member

to JJ Johnson
Unlike pa, In pa we have state sales tax. Only philadelphia gets a extra 1 percent of the sales tax. The rest of the state only pays state sales tax. Good luck getting a refund of any extra charged sales tax.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
said by JJ Johnson:

I just received a reply to a question that I asked of the city's sales tax department:

> of Fort Collins.

Very interesting. Would that mean that past city sales taxes should be refunded? Let's see... 12 years x 12 months x ~2.50 = $360.

Federal law says it is illegal for a state/county/city to tax internet service. (Internet PURCHASES are a different matter altogether, but the actual service connection can't be taxed.)

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· tension/

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

said by ualdayan:

said by JJ Johnson:

> of Fort Collins.

Federal law says it is illegal for a state/county/city to tax internet service. (Internet PURCHASES are a different matter altogether, but the actual service connection can't be taxed.)

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· tension/

Not quite. Article referenced is from Oct 26 2007, and notes that the bill passed by the House of Representatives extends the taxation ban for 4 years, presumably to 2011. The Senate version extends the ban for 7 years, to 2014. Also, "The nine states that managed to enact 'Net access taxes prior to the moratorium's enactment in 1998 are exempt from the ban, and would continue to be under the just-passed legislation. "

I'm not sure whether Colorado is one of the nine. No mention of whether the House and Senate came together to pass a bill with a seven year moratorium to the president. More research is necessary to see if this is the law.