Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit

Hi!

Lurker turned member! Anyway, I used to have a distributing computing application running many moons ago called Seti@Home. I've regained interest in running one of those programs, but I lost interest in Seti@Home. I also finally bought a Playstation 3 recently and remember reading how they can be used to run one of these applications. I can't find it in the menu. I can contribute a Playstation 3 as well as an iMac with a quad core i5 if I decide to jump back in. I'm looking at Folding@Home right now. How can I get that on my Playstation?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

You could try here: »folding.stanford.edu/English/Download2011

PS3 is the bottom client.

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
Welcome!! The PS3 makes a good folder.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
Several years ago the PS3 had a large system update that included the "Life with PlayStation" app.. Under this menu there's a "Folding at Home" option. If the firmware is up to date you should be able to fold. I just woke up, so if this only makes... well, sortosense.....blame...uhmm

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Black_Mage
I ran into a snag with Folding@Home. At first it could not retrieve work units so I tried erasing all the files I could find associated with the program and reinstalling it. Now I'm getting this message.

Process 353 is currently running and may also be a client with Mach. ID 1. The program will now exit. Upon restart, this check will not be done. You may wish to check that no client is currently running in ~/library/Folding@home before starting.

A youtube video I found recommended going to Terminal and typing /usr/local/fah/fah6 -smp for the status since the Mac version doesn't display what the app is doing.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to suprleg
said by suprleg:

Several years ago the PS3 had a large system update that included the "Life with PlayStation" app.. Under this menu there's a "Folding at Home" option. If the firmware is up to date you should be able to fold. I just woke up, so if this only makes... well, sortosense.....blame...uhmm

Yep there it is! Downloading the Life With Playstation app now! What little FAQ material I saw on the folding@home site for Playstation said the Playstation 3 can only perform certain calculations. Weird. I'm no math major, but I thought a processor should be able to perform any type of calculation.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to Black_Mage
This is interesting. Now I'm getting a message in terminal that says attempt to get work failed. No other work to do. How often does that happen?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
Welcome to Team Helix, FFBlackMage, glad to have your help with Folding@Home.

I don't have a Playstation so can't really help. I'm not sure where you have looked at this point. Have you browsed this forum?

----> »foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=3
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
Welcome to folding too. I don't have a PS3 so I don't know anything, but we do have members that fold on them, I, for one appreciate all your effort, hope you don't give up, part of the fun of computing is solving issues...

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to Black_Mage
The Playstation is working just fine. I have it doing calculations right now. I was getting those errors on my Mac.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

This is interesting. Now I'm getting a message in terminal that says attempt to get work failed. No other work to do. How often does that happen?

Sometimes assignment servers for your particular client are down. That happens from time to time. You can check the server IP in the client and reference it to here: »fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/serverstat.html Thanks for folding with us.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Good answer, jaynick, and one I should have given. (Apologies, dealing with admin issues behind the scenes over there on the FAH community site, just not thinking, should keep my mouth shut.)
--

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to jaynick
How do I check the server IP?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by Black_Mage:

sortofageek See Profile or any other member that is familiar with a Mac may be able to help on the Mac. Somewhere in the client should be the IP of the servers.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
I followed the link to server status and saw three PS3 servers, two in reject mode for now and one full and accepting. It could just be very busy and you have to wait your turn.

Server status: »fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/serverstat.html

This forum is for reporting problems with servers, if you know the IP: »foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=18

There are tips for troubleshooting here, stickied at the top of that forum: »foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17794

The link I gave you before is for PS3 issues only. You can always post there if you don't know the IP of the server with which there are problems.

»foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=3

You need to register on the site in order to post there. Sorry I can't be more help. I spend most of my time with site admin these days.

We did bring on three more moderators recently and all three add tremendously to the dynamic tech support presence on that site.

--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
If I understood the OP correctly he/she is trying to find the server IP on the Mac not the PS3. Then again I could be wrong.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

OK, if you are talking about the IMac (not the PS3,) you should be able to find the log under Library/Folding&Home. Post a copy of FAHlog.txt here as an attachment to a post so we can take a look, see if the server IP is identified and check to see whatever else might be going on.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to jaynick
Help me, help me, mind is racing in too many directions right now, trying to stop a rather persistent, non-stop, spam BOT which wants to fill that site with rage over medical malpractice when Miss Philippines tried to have liposuction ... or something.

And I'm supposed to be resting in retirement? What is wrong with me? (Shut up, Clown.)
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by sortofageek:

Help me, help me, mind is racing in too many directions right now.

Sure, anyway I can.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

You're already doing it, trying to keep me on track.

I have stopped using my Mac for folding. It frequently couldn't get work. If I ever find the time, I'll run V7 on a VM of some flavor on the Mac, but don't hold your breath. It is really busy at my house.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
TC suggested Virtual Box if someone wanted to try it. There is one for OS-X hosts.

»www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

I have stopped using my Mac for folding. It frequently couldn't get work.

That could explain the op's issue then. Also isn't there a Ver. 7 client for a mac now? I thought I saw it somewhere.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I don't think there is a V7 for Mac yet, which is the reason for the VM.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to jaynick
Well, there is a beta, but I don't think it is there yet.

»foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=77
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by sortofageek:

Well, there is a beta, but I don't think it is there yet.

»foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=77

Yes, but I see they say it's not ready for prime time yet. Oh well.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Not ready is what I meant by "not there yet," sorry.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick
What I planned to do was run Windows on a Virtual Box host, but then it got way too hot here and I stopped all folding for quite awhile and everything went crazy around here.
--

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to sortofageek
This is weird. I can't find folding@home in the library folder.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I am so not a Mac person, but I did a default install and mine is under /myusrname/library/folding@home

The startup icon is in system preferences. I looked for clues from the startup icon, hoping I could see the path there, but I can't.

Can you search for FAHlog.txt? That might give you a clue where your folding app is installed.

Is it possible you uninstalled it?
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage
There are three possible Library folders- I would do a spotlight search for @home and see what it pulls up. You might also post your logs- search for fahlog.

Also, see this thread: »foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22435
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***