spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

couchgirl13

@bell.ca

[TV] My satellite has completely lost signal for over 24 hours

So our satellite signal is 0% and yesterday evening I finally called Bell tech support and after a couple troubleshooting steps I was told there was nothing else she could do that they'd have to send out a tech and it would cost me $75! There's no way I'm paying $75 for a tech to come out and fix something that is obiously not my fault. Everything inside my apartment is fine, its something outside, with their equipment. The dish was even here when we moved it, they didn't do a thing to it. I don't know anyone else that has Bell so its not like I can ask if they are having issues. Any ideas on what we can do? If not, I'm leaving Bell and going to Cogeco, or something else.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

Re: [TV] My satellite has completely lost signal for over 24 hou

It MAY cost you $75. I added a new receiver last month and Bell hasn't charged me. They find ways to make it work. The tech may find a way to ensure it's a free call.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to couchgirl13

A "0%" signal suggests something has been disconnected somewhere. Check the coax connection(s) at your receiver and make sure they're tight and the cable hasn't come loose from the connector (it's happened to me). Also, maybe power-cycle the receiver (yanking the AC plug for a minute and plugging it back in).

It could be an LNB issue but they're pretty reliable.

Most obvious of all? Is the dish still pointing in the right direction?
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by mr weather:

A "0%" signal suggests something has been disconnected somewhere. Check the coax connection(s) at your receiver and make sure they're tight and the cable hasn't come loose from the connector (it's happened to me). Also, maybe power-cycle the receiver (yanking the AC plug for a minute and plugging it back in).

It could be an LNB issue but they're pretty reliable.

Most obvious of all? Is the dish still pointing in the right direction?

Is this an HD receiver? If so, the power adapter for the switch may have come unplugged. I had that happen once when the dog went behind the sofa where the plug was and knocked it out. Plug it in an it will work.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to couchgirl13

"its something outside, with their equipment."

It's YOUR equipment bot Bell's.

Like said check all connections and if you have a SW44 check the power inserter.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

said by joeblow3:

"its something outside, with their equipment."

It's YOUR equipment bot Bell's.

Good point. This isn't like Bell landline phone service.

For a number of years, Star Choice (now Shaw Direct) had something called "Simple Satellite" where as part of your service they owned the dish and LNB so that any issues with those would be dealt with free of charge.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes