spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Monty37
@musc.edu

Monty37

Anon

Burnt Fuel Elimination Motor?

I have an 8 year old Rheem model RRKA-A024JK06E gas heater/electric AC unit in a rental unit in a different city. The heat won't come on and when I called a repair person he came out (I was not there) and said the Burnt Fuel Elimination Motor was stuck probably due to rust. He banged on it and it started. However, he says it should be replaced and quoted me a price of $846. But, when I look on-line to see if that is a fair price I can find NOTHING on such a motor, in this model or any model. Would there be another name for such a motor? What motor might he be talking about? The AC portion of the unit is working fine.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

He is probably talking about the draft inducer. It is a smaller blower that pushes (or pulls) the combustion gasses through the heat exchanger. I have never heard it called a burnt fuel eliminator motor although I guess that's kinda sorta what it does. $846 seems excessive if indeed that is what it is. Here's the part I believe. Even with standard markup and labor it shouldn't be that much.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo

Beat me to it.

The guy probably wants to make a huge markup on it. It might even be the reason he called it such a fancy name, so you can't easily check what the hell it is and what it costs.

Check with Rheem, you might still be under warranty (Most of their stuff is 10 years). Also they can confirm the part number.

Heck, maybe you can just fix it. I find it odd it would be rusty.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Monty37

MVM

to Monty37
Bottom line is you need a new/different "repair" person. Doubling the wholesale part cost and figure 2 hours labor (including coffee and lunch break) should come in under half that.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Heck, maybe you can just fix it. I find it odd it would be rusty.

It's an outdoor packaged unit. I don't think corrosion is out of the realm of a possibility although it being "rusty" might have been an oversimplification of what it really was.

The fact that he wants that much to replace it and his strange terminology are warning signs for me to find a new repair man.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

2 recommendations

nunya to Monty37

MVM

to Monty37
I'm going to start telling people their "electron interruption gateway" is bad and then charge them $25 for a light switch.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by nunya:

I'm going to start telling people their "electron interruption gateway" is bad and then charge them $25 for a light switch.

That's too physicisty. They'll get suspicious.

Call it "Circuit partition interupter". They'll think it has to do with breakers.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6 to Monty37

Premium Member

to Monty37

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Kdh1KZ0w

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

How in the world he got through that whole video without smiling or laughing is beyond me!!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to Monty37

MVM

to Monty37
At least he didn't try to sell you "blinker fluid"! Burnt Fuel Elimination Motor sounds a whole lot more expensive than "draft inducer"!

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

How in the world he got through that whole video without smiling or laughing is beyond me!!

Probably Take 421...

Monty37
@musc.edu

Monty37 to Monty37

Anon

to Monty37
Thanks for the advice. I went through Brothers Heating, Air and Plumbing in Charlotte, NC. I had one previous experience with them and it was good but I was there when the repair man came. I knew something was up when I told this guy it would be a few weeks and he wanted me to call him back directly on his cell and not to call the main number. Special thanks for actually identifying the part, which was on Amazon for $141. I will definitely check with Rheem about a warranty and confirm the part number. It looks like I could put it in pretty easy. Anyone know were a diagram of the unit might be so I can find out where it's located?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

If Rheem will honor the warranty, they'll require you to have it replaced by an approved dealer.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

You know any truck roll is at least $100 .

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

+$25 for the "EIG". Then it needs to be calibrated as well. That's another $25.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
Click for full size
Not quite. Our overpriced local Propane dealer evidently is having to cut deals.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Besides the $89 they may find something that needs fixing and charge more. Even if they do not they still provide the propane monthly so making sure you use as much as possible is a good thing. Turn on as many fireplaces as you want.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by nonymous:

Besides the $89 they may find something that needs fixing and charge more. Even if they do not they still provide the propane monthly so making sure you use as much as possible is a good thing. Turn on as many fireplaces as you want.

They are the one's that caught me not home and filled (topped off) my tank with $4.35/gal propane. I have it now for them to only come out if and when I call.

It's a free standing Buckstove with blowers but now only for emergency heat in winter when power is off.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Monty37

Premium Member

to Monty37
said by Monty37 :

Burnt Fuel Elimination Motor

Burnt Fuel Eliminator Motor. That's good, I need to remember that. And you need to call a second contractor for another opinion. Very smart of you to be suspicious and do your research.