share rss forum feed

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6
kudos:1
reply to Toollio

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Inaccessible sites

As the trace gets to host91-33.dh-c.net.br in all cases i would say the issue is between them and reclameaqui.com.br or a firewall at reclameaqui that is blocking a/multiple subnets. Contact them and ask for a reverse trace back to your home IP, and to verify their firewalls and with their hoster (dh-c.net). The packet leaves the cogeco network and makes it almost all the way to the end system then stops...

17  host91-33.dh-c.net.br (200.225.91.33)  205.412 ms  206.180 ms  204.102 ms
18  * * *
19  reclameaqui.com.br (200.98.215.88) [open]  203.962 ms  205.996 ms *

Toollio

join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

2 edits
said by exseven:

As the trace gets to host91-33.dh-c.net.br in all cases i would say the issue is between them and reclameaqui.com.br or a firewall at reclameaqui that is blocking a/multiple subnets. Contact them and ask for a reverse trace back to your home IP, and to verify their firewalls and with their hoster (dh-c.net). The packet leaves the cogeco network and makes it almost all the way to the end system then stops...

17  host91-33.dh-c.net.br (200.225.91.33)  205.412 ms  206.180 ms  204.102 ms
18  * * *
19  reclameaqui.com.br (200.98.215.88) [open]  203.962 ms  205.996 ms *

How, then, would you explain the fact that Cogeco subscribers in Cornwall (see above) and at least one location can access the site? Surely the end points in Brazil would not be different for different Cogeco clients?

There is no point in contacting dh-c.net. Brazilian companies are notoriously bad at responding to consumer issues. I will receive no reply.

Edit to add info:

I just tried an experiment. I am now accessing the site through a VPN server in Montreal. The site can be reached. However, the tracert seems to be the same as with cogeco--final hop unreachable and the same second-last hop. I also did a trace on my ipad through virgin mobile--I get the site, but trace shows final destination unceachable and the same second last hop. This suggests to me that the final destination cannot be pinged or tracerted, and that does not necessarily mean it is broken. Many routers and providers block pings and tracerts ( ICMP packets).

thingfish

@bell.ca
As I mentioned above, I can view the webpage with my DSL connection. However, trying to tracert is not successful. It also times out after the host91-33.dh-c.net.br hop.

Doesn't really help your situation, but just thought I'd provide a bit more info.

Toollio

join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda
said by thingfish :

As I mentioned above, I can view the webpage with my DSL connection. However, trying to tracert is not successful. It also times out after the host91-33.dh-c.net.br hop.

Doesn't really help your situation, but just thought I'd provide a bit more info.

Thanks. That to me is further confirmation that the last hop is blocking ping/tracert packets, not an indication that it is actually uncreachable in real-world browsing. So, it seems we're back to Cogeco.