bigred44

join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC

How To Unhook Telephone Service

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I am about to hook up ooma and need to disconnect my phone line from the NID. Can anyone please assist on how to do this?

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
I don't know the answer to your question, but when I switched from landline to Ooma a couple of years ago, I did not unhook my NID. I just got a set of wireless phones such as these:
»www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG76 ··· hone+set
and hooked the main console to the Ooma Telo which is connected to the ISP router. That was it. Your traditional landline phones go dead when the phone company disconnects you, and you can unhook them in the house and electronically recycle them.

Ooma's been great, by the way. Very happy with it. When you start, you'll get a free trial of the Premium service for a $120 annual upcharge (I think) which I found well worth the extra money on top of the $4 monthly local taxes and fees for Ooma. I particularly like the Blacklist feature for blocking telemarketers and other pests.

One way to use Blacklisting is when you get a call from a telemarketer--verified on a site like whocallsme.com--go online to your Ooma account, click "Call Logs" on the left, find the offender, and click the Block link. Set Ooma to play for all blocked numbers a standard message saying this phone number has been disconnected (you could also send them to Ooma voice mail), and that's it. Your phone won't even ring if the blocked number calls you back. The same company can still call you from a different phone number of course, but Blacklisting really does cut down on the pest calls which will be especially useful as we get closer to the election. Good luck.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to bigred44
Remove the red & green wires shown in photo #4. do not allow the bare copper to contact each other. Just tape them up separately and close the covers. You can now use your internal phone outlets as usual. I'm not familiar with the ooma devices so you will need to verify what it's REN # is. (Ring Equivalence Number) Depending on the number and type of phones you have in your home, it may not be able to handle them all.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bigred44
Must be a newer NID.

I like to find the first jack in the house and disconnect it at that point. That way if someone from phone company comes along and reconnects it your equipment will still be safe.

Yes it looks like the red and green wires are your connection. If you don't have DSL this is the pair you want to remove.

Going back to the box can you push the orange tab in leaving the wires in place so that its in the disconnected position when the box is closed. picture #3

See »mi-telecom.org/distribute.html for more detailed info.

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
I do presently have DSL also. The reason I need to disconnect the line is so ooma can use all phone jacks. You run the modem->router->ooma->phone jack. That way I can leave my answering machine (base for wireless phones) in the kitchen.
You need to unhook the line from telco to do this.

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to bigred44
If you do anything in that NID outside, you will loose your DSL connection. If you want to use the wiring in your home with your ooma service, and keep the DSL, you will need to connect the black and yellow wires behind each wall plate together, and connect them to your ooma adapter.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bigred44
Your DSL connection shares the same pair as you phone line. You will need to hookup line 2 internally and connect ooma to that. Or if you can isolate the dsl modem so that only its jack connects to outside NID. Both methods are a lot more work. Best bet is purchasing a mutihandset phone system.

I personally like the Panasonic units that have talking callerid.

Since you got an ooma you do have another option if you have wireless router is to purchase wireless adapter. This would require both units to be in kitchen. »www.ooma.com/products/ooma-wirel ··· -adapter

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to bigred44
If its a modern NID just take the modular plug out of the test jack and everything inside is disconnected.
--

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
I presently have DSL & POTS thru ATT.
I dont want any connection from the TELCO.
I want to disconnect both my POTS & DSL.
So basically if I pull the wires out (see pic) I will
be disconnecting both DSL & POTS?

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
said by bigred44:

...So basically if I pull the wires out (see pic) I will

yes. and as someone else said make sure you tape them with electrical tape (each one seperatly, not together)

as also stated- if you just have the slider over to the right or the inner cover not closed all the way it should be disconnected also (which would be the best way). there is a phone plug and recepticle on the left side of the last pic- as long as these are not connected you will be good

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to bigred44
said by bigred44:

I presently have DSL & POTS thru ATT.
I dont want any connection from the TELCO.
I want to disconnect both my POTS & DSL.
So basically if I pull the wires out (see pic) I will

So what will you be using for an Internet source?

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bigred44
You will then need to pick up cable for internet. Voip doesn't do well with satellite or wireless.

DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER TO OOMA. AT&T will most likely terminate your DSL line once the port is done. Leaving you with no internet and no phone.

Once you get your new internet connection up and running it would then be safe to port. Double check to make sure AT&T then terminates your account completely. You can count on them to do what is in AT&T best interest and to screw you over somehow.

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
reply to aguen
Just signed up with TWC @ 19.99/month.

Will be saving over $40/month.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
·Bright House Net..
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

2 recommendations

Here are some helpful hints - »www.voipmyhouse.com/ and »voip.mi-telecom.org/ The latter has the most information and I've recommended this article to a number of folks.

bigred44

Charlotte, NC
Nice site. Thanks for the links!

SNT
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to bigred44

Expand your moderator at work

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Trimline

Re: How To Unhook Telephone Service

said by Trimline:

»voip.mi-telecom.org/ The latter has the most information and I've recommended this article to a number of folks.

Awesome resource, Trimline See Profile !

nonameyet
I Make Them Ring..Ring
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Sellersville, PA
That link has some very good info , somebody really spent some time explaining all the phone stuff. I've been doing phones for over 30 years, and
I still see ' new stuff ' every once in awhile, out on the street.