uniqs

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Styvas

Mod

to Styvas

Re: What's reasonable to expect in this case?

said by Styvas:

I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

Basically I'm talking about this.
said by Styvas:

Which they are doing, but their equipment damaged other equipment, so is it reasonable to expect them to cover the cost of repairing that damage?

Two installation and service companies and two different manufacturers with you in the middle instead of one installation and service company in the middle of possibly two manufacturers. I think it will be hard to prove your claim that "their equipment damaged other equipment".

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by robbin:

said by Styvas:

I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

Basically I'm talking about this.
said by Styvas:

Which they are doing, but their equipment damaged other equipment, so is it reasonable to expect them to cover the cost of repairing that damage?

Two installation and service companies and two different manufacturers with you in the middle instead of one installation and service company in the middle of possibly two manufacturers. I think it will be hard to prove your claim that "their equipment damaged other equipment".

That is certainly complicating things. It would have been nice to know who had installed the furnace when we first considered AC. Having no communication with the previous owner, however, that was unfortunately impossible.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Are you saying that you didn't know what brand the furnace was when you shopped for the AC?

If your brand new toilet leaks hopefully you have good insurance because I think all you will get is a new toilet.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Are you saying that you didn't know what brand the furnace was when you shopped for the AC?

We knew what brand it was, but not the name of the HVAC company that installed it. We also knew that it was installed in July of 2010, so any warranty on labour (typically one year) would no longer apply, although we hoped that warranty on parts would apply.

Now that we are going through this process, we are realizing that the manufacturer's warranty doesn't even technically transfer to a subsequent home owner, so any warranty coverage we are getting is because of the generosity of the furnace company.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Styvas:

Now that we are going through this process, we are realizing that the manufacturer's warranty doesn't even technically transfer to a subsequent home owner, so any warranty coverage we are getting is because of the generosity of the furnace company.

What brand is the furnace? For a residential application, usually the parts warranty would transfer.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Styvas

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

What's the manufacturer? Im curious to read their warranty policy.
My Lennox furnace's basic coverage is transferable. That's for parts.

Also, sometimes the installer has to register the furnace, meaning that the manufacturer could know who installed it.

Im surprised there is no sticker on the furnace saying who installed it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Also, sometimes the installer has to register the furnace, meaning that the manufacturer could know who installed it.

Again it could very well be the "flipper" That's exactly how many of them maximize their profits. Maybe that's why the OP doesn't know?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to Styvas

Mod

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

We knew what brand it was, but not the name of the HVAC company that installed it.

Just to clarify, the furnace was manufactured by one company and the AC is of an entirely different brand. Is this correct?

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Styvas:

What brand is the furnace? For a residential application, usually the parts warranty would transfer.

The furnace is branded Payne which I believe is a cheap brand of Carrier/Bryant).
Styvas

Styvas to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by alkizmo:

Again it could very well be the "flipper" That's exactly how many of them maximize their profits. Maybe that's why the OP doesn't know?

We went through the realtor to contact the seller/flipper and learned who had installed it. That's why we had that particular company come out to complete repairs when the A/C guys told us the problem was the furnace and not the A/C unit. We could have had the A/C guys repair it, but we'd have had no warranty coverage on the furnace through them (at least that's what I originally thought).

Why there was no sticker on the furnace is anyone's guess.
Styvas

Styvas to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Just to clarify, the furnace was manufactured by one company and the AC is of an entirely different brand. Is this correct?

Yes, the furnace is Payne (as posted above) and the A/C is KeepRite (associated with Carrier, but perhaps not manufactured by them).

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Styvas

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

The furnace is branded Payne which I believe is a cheap brand of Carrier/Bryant).

quote:
If you're the original homeowner and you register your eligible product within 90 days of installation, you will receive a 10-year parts limited warranty*. Check with your Payne® contractor for the latest warranty information. You'll find your Payne warranty certificate included with the Owners Manual.
quote:
*Warranty period is five (5) years if not registered within ninety (90) days. Jurisdictions in which warranty benefits cannot be conditioned on registration will automatically receive a ten (10) year parts limited warranty. R-22 compatible air conditioner and heat pump units receive a 5 year parts limited warranty and are not eligible for a 10 year parts limited warranty regardless of jurisdictions.
So you have minimum 5 years.

Go claim for the blower. But labor isn't covered, sadly.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Styvas:

quote:
If you're the original homeowner and you register your eligible product within 90 days of installation, you will receive a 10-year parts limited warranty*. Check with your Payne® contractor for the latest warranty information. You'll find your Payne warranty certificate included with the Owners Manual.
quote:
*Warranty period is five (5) years if not registered within ninety (90) days. Jurisdictions in which warranty benefits cannot be conditioned on registration will automatically receive a ten (10) year parts limited warranty. R-22 compatible air conditioner and heat pump units receive a 5 year parts limited warranty and are not eligible for a 10 year parts limited warranty regardless of jurisdictions.
So you have minimum 5 years.

Go claim.

I was just Googling for that myself. lol! Note that it says "original homeowner" and it is not transferable. I don't see the non-transferable part in the section you've quoted. It's on the registration card available at »www.docs.hvacpartners.co ··· P459.pdf.

OWNER-OCCUPIED, RESIDENTIAL APPLICATIONS
This warranty is to the original purchasing owner only and is not transferable. Except as otherwise stated, if the product is installed in an owneroccupied
residence and is properly registered within 90 days after original installation (see Warranty Conditions below for registration
instructions), then the warranty period will be ten (10) years from the date of installation. Otherwise the warranty period is five (5) years
from the date of installation. The warranty period on the heat exchangers is twenty (20) years.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Styvas:

I don't see the non-transferable part in the section you've quoted.
»www.docs.hvacpartners.co ··· P459.pdf.

»www.payne.com/warranty.html

What you have is the registration card to get 10 years instead of 5 years. You can't get 10 years unless you're the original owner OR unless Ontario forbids registration requirements.

Either way, you have at least 5 years. Even without the receipt, they'll calculate the 5 years started 90 days after the manufacturing date (In the product links in that page). I doubt that the furnace was stored for years after it was manufactured.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Styvas:

I don't see the non-transferable part in the section you've quoted.
»www.docs.hvacpartners.co ··· P459.pdf.

»www.payne.com/warranty.html

What you have is the registration card to get 10 years instead of 5 years. You can't get 10 years unless you're the original owner OR unless Ontario forbids registration requirements.

Either way, you have at least 5 years. Even without the receipt, they'll calculate the 5 years started 90 days after the manufacturing date (In the product links in that page). I doubt that the furnace was stored for years after it was manufactured.

I see your point. The only further complication, if this is correct, is that it is highly likely, but not certain, that the A/C unit shorting cause the furnace problem (notwithstanding those who disagree with this hypothesis). If that's the case, then the warranty would not apply, because the problem was not due to defect but external damage.

I'm still operating on the assumption that the blower will be replaced under warranty as was the control board. It's only the fact that the owner of the company suggested that it might not be covered that I am worried about this. If it's covered, then my total outlay is about $400, which is labor charges and not covered.

Unless the A/C company will reimburse me that amount, it's out of my pocket for damages caused by their product. Hence my original question as to whether it was reasonable to expect that I would be compensated for expenses by the company whose product caused the damage and incurred the expense.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

A shorted compressor IMO does not cause the damage to other equipment you describe. How do you plan to convince the AC Manufacturer the damages are their responsibility? I would fight you in court. Compressor yes, other no.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

A shorted compressor IMO does not cause the damage to other equipment you describe. How do you plan to convince the AC Manufacturer the damages are their responsibility? I would fight you in court. Compressor yes, other no.

In that logic, the furnace manufacturer cannot claim the damage was done by another appliance.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
I hear you, and I'm not going to try and argue because I have no expertise on which to do so. In the absence of other technical opinions here, the only other person I've spoken with is an electrician who disagrees with you. The scenario he laid out based on the factors involved appeared logical and well argued.
Styvas

Styvas to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

In that logic, the furnace manufacturer cannot claim the damage was done by another appliance.

That's correct, which is why I'm caught in the middle. Both sides have a vested interest in blaming the other.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

I hear you, and I'm not going to try and argue because I have no expertise on which to do so. In the absence of other technical opinions here, the only other person I've spoken with is an electrician who disagrees with you. The scenario he laid out based on the factors involved appeared logical and well argued.

Ok I'm done with this. I've been around the field for more than 40 years so please have your electrician explain how he determined his analysis.

Otherwise good luck. You will need it plus divine intervention to prove your assertions.
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
All is needed is to prove how a shorted compressor caused the control board and blower fan to "burn" up some time after the compressor failed.

Compressors on Heat Pumps fail all the time. Just turn the condenser unit off/pull the fuses and continue on using strip heaters and fan.