spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brazosdog02

join:2012-09-12

Terrible sprint speeds...tweaks?

Since I got my aircard a few years ago, It has gotten considerable slower as time went on. It is now in the ballpark of .3 down and up give or take. Usually, its slower than dial up and won't load any pages. I have been told its a congestion issue and regularly request refunds for my monthly bill. So far, I haven't paid for service in about 4 months...and yet Sprint finds this perfectly acceptable. Rather than solve the problem, they just keep me on for free. That's fine, as it is functional occasionally. I would rather try to fix the problem. Anyone know what I can do? I have a 597U aircard.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

might want to peruse my website : »evdotips.blogspot.com/
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

brazosdog02

reply to brazosdog02

Ill give it a look tonight. Hopefully I can get it resolved...looks like its going to be up to me, because sprint doesn't seem to care.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

If it is overloaded tower, yea... keep reporting it to tech support so it will get some oil.

I am seeing around 700 average on most sprint towers these days... 300 from time to time... and of course in the city it rarely falls below 2000... usage is up and its stressing out the towers with limited backhaul... can't wait for the re-build to hit the areas I frequent.

brazosdog02

3 edits
reply to brazosdog02

I just did a speed test and it was .4 mbps down. No clue if that's suitable.

Jim....I looked at your site, somewhere I remember seeing a "watcher" link that would work with Sprint and my Compass 597, but when I go to the sierra wireless page, it lists no software aside from sprint. Id like to be able to lock to EVDO.

Also, I don't see anything in the way of 'tweaks' for Windows 7 and a Compass 597. Can you point me to the right section?

DavidDay22

join:2008-09-06
Madison Heights, MI
reply to brazosdog02

In southeastern Michigan Sprint has been terrible, if you at their upgrade map, you will see they are tens of thousands of changes to their towers in Michigan alone.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to brazosdog02

Link to Watcher for the 597:

»www.sierrawireless.com/en/Suppor···597.aspx
--

brazosdog02

Jim,

Can you point me to directions for aiming my panel antenna?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

you need to find where the tower is first braz.
--

brazosdog02

I just ran a speed test....its 2am and im running at 2.09MBPS down. Guess that means overloaded tower during the day.

Ive run the map check to see where the tower is. I can pretty much see it from the roof, but when the antenna is pointed toward it, its signal jumps from 0 to 5 bars and I cannot even connect.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

The information about the grid antenna I talk about on my website applies to a panel or any other directional antenna. Do you have the correct frequency panel for Sprint? It has to be 1900 MHz.
--

brazosdog02

Wow...speeds just went out the window...like over the course of 2 minutes.

When it was working really well, the DEBUG was as follows:

RSSI=-74
Ec/Io=-1
PER=45

Now, it just fell to pieces:

RSSI=-84
Ec/Io=-7
PER=86

What the hell??

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to brazosdog02

I have several Sierra aircards. They are pretty much show crappy performance starting around last fall.

Between midnight and eight in the morning, I'd consistently get at least 2,000 Kbps, and most the time 2,200. During the day and evening, I'd get at least 1,600 Kbps.

Now the best I see after midnight or one in the morning until seven, I get 1,600 at best. During the day it hovers around 500 to 600 Kbps, but often below 100.

Expand your moderator at work