donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

Re: Laser Toner deals?

said by HiVolt:

said by donoreo:

Not as bad as that person in the office that prints and files all their email, we have all seen one of those

Haha, I have an opposite character here at work, he's a "deleter". he deletes all his sent and received mail at the end of the day, doesnt save anything...

I told him, you know that its all archived elsewhere if need be... He responds that he doesnt like a cluttered inbox or sent box lol...

That must mean he has acted on and completed everything every day? How efficient of him!
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

So they emailed back and asked me to do all of the things I said I had done (took it out, shook, back in, tried, out shook, in, tried the old one), etc. Some support people never actually read the whole support ticket when you bother to spend the time and be complete.

did they ask if you RTFM ?

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to donoreo
So have the Samsung ML-1670, bought the OEM laser toner cartridge from 123 it looks like back in September of 2012. In the past few weeks the printing has been streaking. It is showing 30% left. I have tried shaking it etc as per the user help guide. Hoping lugnut & the other peeps are around to help out again. I am not confident that I would be able to clean out the inside which is the only other thing I can think of. Any other suggestions/advice/help would be most appreciated. I print a LOT every darn day cos I'm a full time college student. Thanks in advance! :P! !
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

lugnut

@communications.com
said by GoRaptors:

So have the Samsung ML-1670, bought the OEM laser toner cartridge from 123 it looks like back in September of 2012. In the past few weeks the printing has been streaking. It is showing 30% left. I have tried shaking it etc as per the user help guide. Hoping lugnut & the other peeps are around to help out again. I am not confident that I would be able to clean out the inside which is the only other thing I can think of. Any other suggestions/advice/help would be most appreciated. I print a LOT every darn day cos I'm a full time college student. Thanks in advance! :P! !

Check your printer manual. I believe that with that model Samsung if you hold the line button for 10 seconds or so it initiates a cleaning cycle and prints a cleaning page.

If that procedure does work on your printer, do it three or four times in a row.

If it's still streaking after that you can try contacting 123 but I doubt they'd be willing to refund anything on a 70% used cartridge.

At that point try a new cartridge and pray that it's not smearing somewhere else in the paper path.

------------------------------------------

Actually I just took a look at the manual. Refer to pages 53 and 46 on how to clean the inside of the printer.

Try the ten or thirty second button push to see if it prints a cleaning page. if not, then you'll have to refer to their procedure.

Which is 1) Clean the inside of the machine. 2) Failing that, check the paper type and quality. and 3) Exchange the toner cartridge for a new one.

-------------------------------------------

One other thing you could try is picking up a pack of laser cleaning sheets from Staples for $15 (last resort because of the price) and try that.

»www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Laser-···_1_20001

Probably cheaper to just get a new cartridge though. Like I said, don't expect, any refund on a 70% spent cartridge.

--------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

GoRaptors

London, ON

1 edit
Well College/school is done for now, I just made do without printing or what I had to print was with streaks and not critically important. Thankfully most my stuff was "dropboxed" online & my profs were mostly understanding. So going to order from:

»123inkcartridges.ca/samsung-tone···670.html

Oh they are $44.99 now just noticed.

Ah this is it: »www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B···tion=new

But which reseller 2 go with?

Hopefully that resolves the issue. I was not confident enough of my abilities to clean the inside of the printer. Anyways will update once the toner cartridge comes in. Thanks again for all of your help it is really greatly appreciated! :P! !
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

lugnut

@communications.com
Go with either V4Ink or Sprint Toner. They both have 5 star ratings and once you factor in shipping they're both pretty much the same cheapest price.

GoRaptors

London, ON
Ok, went with Sprint Toner! Thanks again! Cheers! :P! !

GoRaptors

London, ON

1 edit
Ok, wow got the cartridge already! Trying to install it now! Does anyone know if there is anywhere in London, ON that I can recycle my 2 old laser toner cartridges? Or dispose of environmentally friendly? Thanks in advance! Cheers! :P! !

EDITED TO ADD: OK I GOT IT INSTALLED YAY!

Same spiel as last time though, had to take it out/put it back in a couple of times before the Samsung printer recognized it was a eligible laser toner cartridge! :P! ! Woohoo!

lugnut

@communications.com
Take the empty toners to any Staples or Future Shop and they will recycle the cartridges free of charge.

GoRaptors

London, ON
Awesome! Thanks a bunch! Sweet! ! You rock lugnut! :P! ! Have a great weekend & Friday! Cheers!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to donoreo
I was looking at $4-600 colour laser printers today..... when some models are on-sale it's about as cheaper to buy a new one as to get a full set of toner cartridges.

So, I was thinking that I'd donate the used printer to a charitable organization, get a tax receipt, and go buy a new printer, and come out ahead.

lugnut

@communications.com
Nice plan. Except it won't work. New printers ship with "starter toners" which are only filled 30%-50% capacity.

Then again, after a model has been out for a year or two, aftermarket toners start to show up for dirt cheap.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
Here we go, once more I am sending the POS toner back to 123. It printed the first few pages fine, and then back to what the other was doing. I do not print much, but this is just silly. It does not matter if I print from Mac, Windows or Linux, the same.

They are offering me a refund. I do not trust their product, the printer is not new, SCX-4826, they should have it right by now.

I am looking on Amazon as well.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to donoreo
Weird...never had any problems with their ink cartriges. I have a older laser jet Brother HL2030 and a Canon Pixma iP6700D ink jet.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to donoreo
Actually you have the exact same model printer that I have. I ended up buying my toner from Amazon last time.

»www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall···68207065

Specifically this one from Sprint Toner

»www.amazon.ca/Replacement-Samsun···lt-d209l

No complaints about print quality, however there's a slight hitch when loading a fresh cartridge of paper. The paper sensor doesn't seem to activate with fresh paper until I jiggle the switch manually. Minor hassle but easy workaround to fix it.

lugnut

@communications.com
Actually I just ordered two sets of color toners for my CLP-300 from Sprint Toners thru Amazon just now. This conversation reminded me I was getting low. Total price, taxed and shipped, just under $100...

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to lugnut
I ordered from Sprint Toners.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Actually I just ordered two sets of color toners for my CLP-300 from Sprint Toners thru Amazon just now. This conversation reminded me I was getting low. Total price, taxed and shipped, just under $100...

I ordered some CLP-300 toners from 123 about a year ago... they work just fine still... the printer is not used much and there is no issue...

However these are just toner bottles of sort, not a cartridge with the drum and whatever...
--

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to donoreo
I already received the email from Amazon. My toners have shipped already. They should be here by Monday.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by lugnut :

I already received the email from Amazon. My toners have shipped already. They should be here by Monday.

Mine have shipped as well. They are confirmed at Canada Post. It says 2 -10 days, but usually it is closer to the 2 once sent.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Actually you have the exact same model printer that I have. I ended up buying my toner from Amazon last time.

Ever see a firmware update for this model? I am surprised there has not been.

lugnut

@communications.com
Samsung printer firmware updates are rare. I've owned and/or installed about 6 different models in the past 15 years and the only one that ever had a firmware update was the CLP-300 color.

They tend to get it right the first time

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
I was wondering about that, both my printers have the option of loading an update but no new firmware has ever been released. They have however kept up with updating the drivers which has been nice as new OSs have been let loose on the market.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
I missed delivery on the toner yesterday. I picked it up today and they sent me the wrong toner. I order the 5K and they sent me the 2K. Fuck.

lugnut

@communications.com

1 edit
In 15 years of buying aftermarket toner both from 123 and from Amazon I've only had one defective toner shipped, replaced within 3 days and never had the wrong item shipped.

What does it say on your Amazon invoice? Is it an MLT-D209L or MLT-D209S. If it lists the S model then you ordered the wrong item and can't really blame them. Likewise if it just says Generic Samsung SCX-4826FN toner there should be a page yield listed in the description somewhere.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
I did not update it yesterday. I ordered the right item, they shipped the wrong one. I went through Amazon but I called Sprint directly. I spoke to George and he admitted it was his fault. He was out of high yield and the low ones got moved into their place on the shelf. He arranged to have another shipped directly overnight.

It arrived this morning (I am off today with a horrid cough and cold). I tried it out and.....it sucks. Prints the same as the 123 toner. The low yield toner printed great, just like the Samsung OEM. I called George again and told him. He could not believe the trouble I have (I told him about 123). He asked what I wanted: refund, another replacement, refund the difference and keep low, or get a second low. I took the second low. At least I have a working printer.

Downside is I have two toners to ship to different locations.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Bit of a disappointment, but at least the company was agreeable and didn't jerk you around.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Thane_Bitter:

Bit of a disappointment, but at least the company was agreeable and didn't jerk you around.

overall the whole process is a disappointment. Customer service from both have been good.

lugnut

@communications.com
I'm inclined to believe that if this problem has persisted with 3 different cartridges from two different vendors the problem is with your printer.

Perhaps you should check out some DIY sites and Samsung FAQs on giving the printer's innards a good cleaning? Or take it to a service center if you're not comfortable with opening it up or if it's still under warranty?

At this point I'd even suggest spending the $120 and buying a Samsung 5K OEM cartridge and seeing whether or not the problem persists.

Something smells fishy about your particular printer.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by lugnut :

I'm inclined to believe that if this problem has persisted with 3 different cartridges from two different vendors the problem is with your printer.

Perhaps you should check out some DIY sites and Samsung FAQs on giving the printer's innards a good cleaning? Or take it to a service center if you're not comfortable with opening it up or if it's still under warranty?

At this point I'd even suggest spending the $120 and buying a Samsung 5K OEM cartridge and seeing whether or not the problem persists.

Something smells fishy about your particular printer.

That would make sense IF the low yield toners did not work, but they do.
--