uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Can I connect 2 ethernet wires

We just had Verizon fios Tripleplay installed with an Actiontec M1424WR Rev E router. One of the computers has a CAT5 or 6 ethernet cable going around the doorway (stapled) and it led to a switch on the floor under my desk. This isn't acceptable for the Actiontec router to be on the floor and the installer said I can get a connector to attach another ethernet cable to give it more length. If I do this will there be any degradation to the line? Also, I have purchased both CAT5 and CAT6 in the past, would that matter? I don't know which is which.

My husband is at BestBuy and found a coupler for CAT5e. Would this work or should I just unstaple some of the cable to give it slack, or purchase a longer cable?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Short term you can go with the coupler, long term I'd recommend purchasing a longer cable from Monoprice, where they are about 90% cheaper than Best Buy.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Kilroy. I'll check that out.

Sincerely, Libra

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

From the deals forum - Coupon Code: cedia12 Coupon details: Max order amount of $500.00 1 use per customer Expires 9/15
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I just took a look. I don't understand the description. Is this what I need :

25FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz UTP Ethernet Bare Copper Network Cable - Yellow . It says something about CAT6 straight cable.

I appreciate the coupon, but I only need one and it says it's $4.44. I don't see shipping mentioned. (I haven't measured what size I actually need yet.)

Please let me know if this is the Ethernet cable I need. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

You need a straight cable. Pick the color and length that you need and order it. After you pick what you want the next page will allow you to see the shipping. It will be more than the cable, but less than $10. At Best Buy the cable is $32

Best Buy is what I'll use if I can't wait. Monoprice if I can wait. The more you buy the better Monoprice is, but even with this one cable you're getting it half price.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Kilroy. As it turns out my husband removed some of the staples and I am now able to put the router on my desk. I did bookmark Monoprice - it sounds like a good deal.

Sincerely, Libra