uniqs

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

inteller

well they are trialing this in Scandanavia

I'm sure those trials will go swimmingly well then they will slowly expand to the rest of Europe and eventually the US. They are going to trial this where their cable relationships are the weakest.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

said by inteller:

I'm sure those trials will go swimmingly well then they will slowly expand to the rest of Europe and eventually the US. They are going to trial this where their cable relationships are the weakest.

I don't think their refusal to offer standalone service has anything to do with being legacy and their launch in Scandinavia proves that. I wouldn't be surprised if their contracts with cable companies simply forbid it. HBO can't offer a service that they are not allowed to sell. They have to keep the cable companies happy. As much as internet blogs want to say otherwise, HBO needs serious money and serious money can only be made by big contracts with big companies. Cable companies.

I really don't think HBO could make enough money from HBO GO as a standalone service if they lost the money made by cable companies. Now in a few years, perhaps. But for now the internet video is not there.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

inteller

internet video is not there? wtf? don't tell Netflix and Hulu that.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75

said by inteller:

internet video is not there? wtf? don't tell Netflix and Hulu that.

Correct, Internet video is not there yet in terms of revenue or profit.

You might, for example, take a look at Netflix's financial results last quarter. It's pretty bloody.

Hulu is privately held, so we do not know how much money it makes.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

inteller

Bloody? Netflix was profitable in Q2.