how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Well it's not just HBO

One thing to recall is that there are like 4-5 companies that own all of the cable that we see, and that HBO is owned by Time Warner who not only owns HBO but a crapload of other cable channels AND TWC. Now even though they are separate legal entities, this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together.

HBO subscribes to the channel model, and if they break that then their channel immediately collapses. So to do this they need to charge a significant premium to what you could get with cable, and that means $16-$20/month and compensate said channel to offset their "losses" (meaning captured audience distribution).

But this is a disconnect. How many HBO shows are there to watch? Say I only like GOT. I can get that from itunes for $30 for as long as I want. Ok, thats less than $3/mo.

They can pull all of their content and play trickery, but if they were smart they offer the "library" at say $10/mo, and the going rate for a subscription to the new shows, say $30/year. Case solved.

For me I don't like any current shows, but I do like a lot of past ones, and I would pay $5 month to access old stuff but only if they included some value rather than their old library. For $7 at netflix or free w/ Amazon I get way more value. That's the problem, there is little economic value to a one off paywall.

They are so entrenched in the broadcast consumption model, nobody gave them the memo on you pay for what you watch. And just last month I had to rejigger my cablecard because now Verizon needed to add copy flags, which BTW was added for the HBO Politburo. So I had to waste 30 minutes of my time, and I don't even have HBO. They are busy adding DRM when I think that boat was proven to sail a long time ago in the music biz... Oh the arrogance.

jmr50

join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by elefante72:

One thing to recall is that there are like 4-5 companies that own all of the cable that we see, and that HBO is owned by Time Warner who not only owns HBO but a crapload of other cable channels AND TWC. Now even though they are separate legal entities, this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together.

Time Warner and Time Warner Cable have no more connection than Time Warner and Dish. I have no idea with "this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together" means, but they are two completely separate entities and have been for several years.