uniqs
share rss forum feed

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron

Re: Caps should be outlawed !

said by El Quintron:

Here's a better question, assuming there was no usage component built in, how much would you charge for 25/10 service? How much would you charge for 6/1 service?

If I was in charge, 6/1 would not exist where VDSL2 is available (no point in offering it since VDSL2 ports cost the same regardless of speed) and 25/10 without any included usage would be around $20/month.

If it costs ~$100 000 to deploy and operate a DSLAM for 10 years and you have an average of 80 subscribers on it, the DSLAM costs $11/month/sub. Add $3/month to cover copper costs, $2/month/sub to cover CO-side (aggregation) equipment costs, a 15% markup to cover unexpected/marginal costs and profit, the bandwidth-invariant part of VDSL2 access comes out to about $20/month.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10

You're hired. Make it so.

Mike

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by dillyhammer:

You're hired. Make it so.

Mike

What he said.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to InvalidError

I think it's silly to say that a DSLAM will last for 10 years... With the rate that cable is upgrading their systems, current VDSL2 deployments will not be relevant for high-value markets in 10 years.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

I think it's silly to say that a DSLAM will last for 10 years... With the rate that cable is upgrading their systems, current VDSL2 deployments will not be relevant for high-value markets in 10 years.

Of course not, but even if VDSL deployments are only good for another 5 years, it doesn't increase the costs to the consumer by much.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Well, based on his math the $20/mth becomes $31/mth, which is a decent chunk since you have to also use it to provide low-end service.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

Well, based on his math the $20/mth becomes $31/mth, which is a decent chunk since you have to also use it to provide low-end service.

If it were up to me I'd probably just phase out the low end service
--

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

If you shorten the service life, you also reduce the OAM costs associated with that lifespan and the cost only goes up $2-3.

As for "low-end service", the port cost would be the same since none of the costs considered in my costing exercise were bandwidth/speed-related. As Quintron said, I would simply not offer such a service since it makes no sense in the port+usage model I derived for Dilly and Quintron over the last couple of posts.