how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA

ZyXEL VFG6005N: Why is it so cheap?

I noticed that this was on sale for $44.99 at newegg.com, which seems too good to be true considering the features and specifications of such a device. I don't currently have a VFG6005N, but would consider getting one at this price to use as an IPSEC endpoint in a residential setting to go along with my USG 50. So what's up with the fire sale? Is this device a piece of junk or is this worth getting for about $45?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
I would say its a good deal for a cheap simple VPN firewall with high throughput. Remember this is a bought product by Zyxel not the homegrown supported USG series. If you dont need the granularity of hte usg SERIES then by all means at that price very decent.

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA
Thanks Anav. Did not know this was not a home grown ZyXEL product, but that makes sense since there seems to be so little info about it out there. I'm guessing that a choice from the USG 20/20w line would probably be a safer choice.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to polarisdb
It depends upon what your requirements are, without knowing those, a recommendation or solutions options are not possible.

dda
Premium
join:2003-12-29
Bolton, MA
I know this is a bit of an old topic but Amazon has this for $60, the USG20 for $120 and the USG50 for $170 or so. I'm upgrading from a ZyWall 2+ since my Comcast connection just went to 50/10 or so. This is for a small home LAN; IPSec VPN is a requirement, though.

From what I can see, the USG20/50 config is rather complicated for (what I consider) simple things like port forwarding so it seems like a bit of overkill for what I need. The VFG6500N seems rather simpler.

Put simply, I want to be able to make IPSec (and perhaps PPTP or L2TP) connections to my home LAN from my Macs. Also somewhat important is IPSec connections to work although I have Mac software that lets me do that so site-to-site isn't necessary.

So, what would you recommend?

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Good question, It would b worthwhile investigation what the current state of L2TP VPN is with respect to the USG 20-50 series as well if its a feature on the VFG. THE VFG is designed as a low cost multiple VPN machine with high throughput. Not sure how configurable it, suggest d/l and reading the User Guide. Dont be intimidated by the USG GUI, even I could decipher it for the basic functions and we are here to help. Instead focus on the requirement and capabilites as your asking. Hopefully some with expertise on the USG side can answer for 20-50, and I blieve the User Guide should help onthe VFG side and spec sheet as well.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

dda
Premium
Bolton, MA
I did download and glance over the VFG UserGuide; it made a rather worrying statement about how L2TP has to enabled for "Road Warrior" VPN. I want IPSec VPN in both "Road Warrior" and "Site-to-site" so I hope it doesn't mean *only* PPTP and L2TP are the "Road Warrior" choices.

Unfortunately, the screenshots in the UserGuide don't show all the possibilities nor are they really enumerated in the Guide. But I decided I'd try it and have one on order from Amazon; if it doesn't do what I want, I'll try to return it.

dda
Premium
Bolton, MA
It came with 1.5 firmware (I haven't loaded the 2.0x firmware yet) and is the A0 model, from what I can tell. It doesn't do XAuth so it cannot connect to work. I think it only does FQDN rather than USER FQDN, which is what I'm using on the laptop.

So I think it's going back and we'll try the USG20 or 50.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to polarisdb
I would recommend USG20. Being so similar to the rest in the USG line allows for getting a lot of support on these forums. For me the few extra $$ is well worth that.

I upgraded from the 2+ and did not find the USG to be much more complicated. I think so far the interface is well thought out.

I was able following some direction here to get the VPN working with the USG20. I don't fully understand it yet, but having it working is a great start to playing around and figuring things out.
--
dnoyeB

"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor
man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes
9:16

dda
Premium
Bolton, MA
Thanks for the info. I've seen some folks say that the USG 50 is a good upgrade from the 2+ and others say the USG 20 would be fine. Given that the USG 50 is (now) a bit over $210 on Amazon, I'm more tempted to stick with the USG 20. The comparisons seems to say it can easily handle the 50/15 Blast! service from comcast.