how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RSheasley

join:2004-01-05
Erie, PA

[modem/router] Verizon Westell 6100 series modems/routers and br

We are in an area that uses Dynamic IP for all residential DSL installs. The majority of them have the 6100 series modem/router provided by Verizon. The majority of them also want to have wireless access for devices. The question I have is about the routed/bridged mode vs bridged/bridged mode on these 6100 series modems. Can the private lan be turned off if the modem is set up so it is not doing the NAT routing with the Dynamic IP customers? My preferred way of setting up customers is to set up their 3rd party router to handle the connections including the wireless and have the modem be only a modem and not issue the private 192.168.x.x address as the WAN connection on the router.

This week I had a client that could not get on the internet and spent over 4 hours with Verizon Techs, then their router companies tech support, and finally their computer manufacturer tech support. I have done numerous installs and stopped over to the client and reset their Westell and plugged directly into the modem and was able to get on the internet fine. I then made the changes to the modem in the VCs to switch out of routed/bridge mode to bridge/bridge mode. Their router did not have a clone mac address feature so typically a call into Verizon tech support is needed to check the connection and release the mac address binding and have the modem bind to the router instead of the PC used to initially set up the modem. I explained to the tech the setup I wanted and after 75 minutes of him stumbling through things and still not working I reset all the devices one more time and asked for his supervisor. He was at that point pretty rude but then eventually transferred to a supervisor. She only changed the IP address of the Westell modem and did not want to change the VCs setting. So the client is working with 2 NAT routers- the Westell modem/router in the private lan mode and their 3rd party router for the wireless.

Is this not possible anymore (most of my installs are Business class with static address and much easier to troubleshoot since the modem is bridged/bridged easier.

Does the client need another modem? Or were the techs I was speaking to at Verizon just useless and not knowing how to do this the correct way....

RSheasley

join:2004-01-05
Erie, PA

Re: [modem/router] Verizon Westell 6100 series modems/routers an

If it matters, this post is the exact same modem and router as I was attempting to set up (but the Linksys Router on this model setup did not have any clone mac option that I saw):

»Westell E90-610015-06 Verizon and Linksys wrt54g- success!

Bytebender
Premium
join:2008-02-12
Canada

said by RSheasley:

If it matters, this post is the exact same modem and router as I was attempting to set up (but the Linksys Router on this model setup did not have any clone mac option that I saw):

»Westell E90-610015-06 Verizon and Linksys wrt54g- success!

except: in that post you refer to the connection is on the West Coast, so it connects via DHCP and MAC cloning etc. But in PA the connection may very well use PPPoE instead.
--
reboot, reset, reconfigure, then recycle.