share rss forum feed

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

[Classes] 5.0.4 Hunter Guide

I am not the premier hunter in these forums. But I do have access to some great hunters. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling here with a link to a tried-and-true hunter resource, Warcraft Hunter's Union. Frostheim as done the hard work of putting together a fine guide for hunters (my wife read it, followed it, and is performing very well).

said by WHU: Hunter Patch 5.0.4 Guide :

The pre-Mists of Pandaria patch 5.0.5 will hit on Tuesday, August 28th, bringing with it many of the Mists of Pandaria hunter class changes. This patch 5.0.4 guide covers the big changes you need to know to optimize your hunter for the month between 5.0.4 and the actual release of the expansion, including new hit and expertise caps, best hunter specs, as well as talent, glyph and other changes.
Patch 5.0.4 Hunter Changes Overview

As soon as patch 5.0.4 hits, your talents will be wiped. The new talent system will be in place, the new glyphs will be available, your shots will be able to be dodged,minimum range will be gone and you’ll no longer be using a melee weapon. Your ranged weapon will have lots more stats and do more damage.

The good news is that if you’re BM or SV you should end up doing more damage in patch 5.0.4, though you’re rotation will be more complex. You’ll also positively be drowning in focus until Mists of Pandaria releases and you level up away from your Wyrmstalker gear set bonuses. If you’re MM however, you’ll be respeccing.

Okay, we got a lot of ground to cover here, so let’s get to it!
Patch 5.0.4 Hunter Hit and Expertise Caps (level 85)

The first thing you’ll need to do after the patch lands is reforge for the new hit and expertise caps (wait until after the patch though — your gear will be changing slightly with no melee weapon / buffed ranged weapon). Starting in patch 5.0.4 hunter shots can be dodged, even if you’re hit-capped. You need expertise to prevent these shots (and your pet attacks) from being dodged. You can read the WHU Hunter Expertise Guide for more details.

The hit rating conversion is changing, and the hit cap is lowering. Both the hit and expertise caps against a raid boss are 7.5%. Here’s what you need to know for level 85 patch 5.0.4:

102.446 hit rating = 1% hit
102.446 expertise rating = 1% expertise
769 hit rating to be hit-capped against a boss (7.5%)
769 expertise rating to be expertise-capped against a boss (7.5%)

PvP hit cap = 308 (3%)
PvP expertise cap = 308 (3%)

Draenei hit cap = 666 hit rating vs raid boss / 205 PvP
Dwarf & Troll expertise cap = 666 expertise rating vs boss / 205 PvP

Your pet should inherit both hit rating and expertise rating from the hunter. Every 1% hit will give your pet 0.5% hitand 0.5% expertise. Thus if you are both hit and expertise capped, then your pet will be as well.

Note: your pet attacks will also be able to be parried. In Cataclysm if the hunter was hit-capped the pet could not be parried; starting in patch 5.0.4 that is changing. Your pet can only be parried when attacking from the front, which only happens when your pet is tanking. If someone else is tanking, your pet will attack from behind, and attacks from behind cannot be parried. So this will affect PvP & solo huntering, but not raiding.

Getting hit-capped and expertise capped shouldn’t be that hard if you’re rocking the Wyrmstalker set (chest & hands provide hit). That alone gets you most of the way there with 437 rating on Raid Finder, 499 normal, and 570 heroic. Add Zeherah’s Dragonskull Crown (no heroic version) and you’re already over the new hit cap and can reforge away into expertise. Even without Z’s helm you should be looking pretty good. And of course if you can get your hands on the Seal of Primordial Shadow you can have some expertise to start off — though it’s a very low drop rate from any DS boss.

Best Hunter Spec in Patch 5.0.4
[Updated 9/1] Right now it’s looking like at level 85 BM is getting a substantial DPS boost out of the patch changes. BM is the top DPS spec right now, with SV just slightly behind and MM just slightly behind that. You can indeed play as the spec of your choice now; however, BM and SV are probably going to bring a bit more dps than MM.
Best Hunter Talents in Patch 5.0.4

Patch 5.0.4 hunter talent tree

Patch 5.0.4 will introduce the new hunter talent system, where we have just six tiers of talents and must choose one of three talents at each tier. If you want you can go look at the full hunter talent list. In patch 5.0.4 we’ll have access to the first 5 tiers of hunter talents. The first 3 tiers offer no DPS benefit, and you can take the talent that you think works best for your play style: shore up your weaknesses or take talents that work well for the raid content that you’re working on.

The next two tiers both offer DPS gains, and once we have DPS gains we can do some math to calculate the best talent choice for a given hunter spec. Tier four is the focus regen tier, and tier five is the extra DPS ability tier. Here’s a rundown of what you might want to consider for each tier, depending on your spec:

Level 15 Talents: the Disengage tier. Lots of awesome things that happen when you Disengage. Take what works best for your playstyle (for raiders this is really a choice between disengaging more often, or having the speed boost after disengaging).
Level 30 Talents: the CC tier. For PvP Silencing Shot remains the obvious choice, and for 5-mans Wyvern Sting is going to be what you want. Note that Wyvern Sting no longer applies a DoT when it breaks, making it better CC than ever.
Level 45 Talents: the self-heal tier. Spirit Bond offers the most overall healing, while Exhilaration offers the best burst heal (and is probably the PvP option of choice). Aspect of the Iron Hawk is better for raids where you’ll be taking lots of unavoidable damage, and is essentially worthless for PvP since you won’t be in Aspect of the Hawk anymore (more on that later).
Level 60 Talents: the focus regen tier. I recommend Dire Beast for all specs. With the ridiculous focus regen we’re going to have at level 85 with the new Steady/Cobra shot focus regen levels plus our set bonus, it’s incredibly hard to get maximum use out of Fervor. In fact, you’ll usually end up doing nothing but casting Arcane Shot and your signature shot during the Fervor focus over time, and your Serpent Sting will fall off. If you use a Cobra Shot to keep it up, you’ll cap on focus and lose some of the benefit. MM’s pairs of Steady Shots are even harder to maintain.
Level 75 Talents: the pet tier. I recommend going with A Murder of Crows for SV or MM, and taking Lynx Rush for BM. Keep in mind that Lyx Rush will hit multiple targets if there’s more than one target: this is good for AoE but on fights where you don’t want to hit side targets Blink Strike is a better option.

You can change your talents anytime you aren’t in combat by spending 1 Dust of Disappearance to remove one talent. Alternatively you can still visit the trainer to wipe all the talents for a gold cost, and you’ll need to visit the trainer to wipe out a spec to let you choose a new spec, also for a gold cost.
Patch 5.0.4 Hunter Rotations

All hunter specs have a more complicated rotation in patch 5.0.4, and indeed in Mists of Pandaria, due to the fact that our best talent choices give us additional buttons to push in our rotation. The core rotation doesn’t change; however, we’ll want to toss our A Murder of Crows / Dire Beast / Lynx Rush/Blink Strike below our signature shot in priority (don’t push back your signature shot for the shiny new buttons).

For reference, you can see the current Cataclysm rotations if you’re unfamiliar: BM Rotation, SV Rotation, MM Rotation.

Here are some spec specific rotation notes:

BM Rotation: Use Dire Beast and Lynx Rush on cooldown, but don’t delay your Kill Command to do so. Note that Kill Command is ridiculously more awesome in patch 5.0.4: you can hit Kill Command when your pet is up to 25 yards away and the attack will register, and furthermore your pet will charge in at your target super fast after hitting KC. So Kill Command works better and works more often. It is a joy to use.
SV Rotation: Use Dire Beast and A Murder of Crows on cooldown, but don’t delay your Explosive Shot or Black Arrow to do so. Note that Lock and Load is much more awesome: the new mechanics of the proc mean you can no longer clip ticks of Explosive Shot no matter what. So when you get Lock & Load, just spam those Explosive Shots. Of course with your crazy focus regen, you may want to weave in an Arcane Shot between the first and the second Explosive Shot just to prevent focus capping.
MM Rotation: Use Dire Beast and A Murder of Crows on cooldown, but don’t delay your Chimera Shot to do so. Note that Improved Steady Shot is being replaced by Steady Focus, which is much better. In addition to boosting focus regen, Steady Focus also means you only need to hit Steady Shot pairs every 10 seconds, rather than every 8 seconds. I recommend using an Arcane Shot rotation and only hardcast Aimed Shot while under haste effects. The MM rotation is harder than ever to manage: things like the free Aimed Shot proc, the free Dire Beast every 30 sec and Kill Shot all disrupt the rotation making it incredibly focus rich when you need to hit those buttons — which in turn makes it harder than ever to keep up the pairs of Steady Shot without focus capping. It’s a lot more work to do substantially less damage than the other specs. At level 90 it’s a bit better, though the damage is still low.

Hunter Glyphs in Patch 5.0.4

Glyphs are once again undergoing an overhaul. The general design goal was to put choice back in glyph selection by removing glyphs that increase DPS. On the glyph front, they did a better job of making that happen than with talents. There are no longer any Prime glyphs: just Major and Minor. And the minor glyphs are minerer than ever, often providing nothing more than a cosmetic gain (of which I’m a big fan).

You can hop over and check out the complete list of Mists of Pandaria Hunter Glyphs and choose the ones you like best. There are certainly going to be glyphs that work best for specific fight strategies, and the new glyphs make PvP hunter giggle with glee, but for the most part take the glyphs that you like — there isn’t any single “best” glyph choice.

Here are a handful of glyphs that probably make the short list for raid glyphs:

Major

Glyph of Animal Bond
Glyph of Chimera Shot
Glyph of Disengage
Glyph of Endless Wrath
Glyph of Marked for Death

Minor

Glyph of Aspect of the Cheetah
Glyph of Stampede
Glyph of Fireworks

Hunter Pet Changes in Patch 5.0.4

Along with hunters, our hunter pets are going to get some substantial changes in the patch. You will get to choose whether to make any pet Ferocity, Cunning, or Tenacity. Pets no longer have talents: instead their abilities are determined by the spec that you choose. Ferocity are the best DPS pets, Tenacity are for tanking / soloing, and Cunning are for PvP.

You can change your pet’s spec at any time just by opening the pet window in the talent pane and choosing a new spec (out of combat, of course).

Patch 5.0.4 pet spec choices

In general pets have lost a tiny bit of health, and a more substantial chunk of armor, as well as a touch of avoidance for tenacity tank pets. Pets are also pretty focus-starved (non-BM in particular) making it sometimes difficult for the pet to use abilities that cost focus other than their basic attacks (like Dash or Thunderstomp).

Very Important!! – the pet’s Growl ability has changed so that it is now a true taunt! This means that if your pet growls at a mob, that mob will be forced to attack the pet! While this ability typically doesn’t work on bosses, it does mean that you absolutely must have growl turned off at all times unless you really want your pet to be tanking. It also gives us a nice new tool to pull aggro off a healer with a pet taunt. This is a powerful improvement of the pet ability: use it wisely.
Aspect Dancing Changed to the Suck

In an effort to prevent hunters from just macroing aspects into their shots, Blizzard has pretty royally screwed aspect dancing. Starting in patch 5.0.4 changing aspects will now trigger the global cooldown. This means that you can’t macro them into single-button macros, but it also means that you lose a full second every time you switch aspects — which means losing a shot (or most of a shot). It also means that if you switch into Aspect of the Fox for a movement phase, it’s not worth switching back to hawk for the instant shots until after the movement phase ends.

In PvP hunters will only be in Aspect of the Fox and never switch out. In raids hunters will almost always be in Aspect of the Hawk and rarely change, except for long heavy movement phases. So don’t switch aspects unless it’s really necessary and you’re going to be in the new aspect for a while. Keep in mind that on average for a 30k dps hunter, switching to fox will now cost you 60,000 damage plus the reduced damage of all your instant shots while in Fox (around 6.5%). Most of the time for short movement bursts you’ll be better off just delaying your shot rather than switching to fox.

I very much hope Blizzard finds another solution to this soon, because this one pretty much makes aspects redundant, and also means that one of our level 45 talents is literally useless in PvP.
Hunter Buffs in Patch 5.0.4

Raid buffs and debuffs are once again being overhauled and streamlined even more, and hunter buffs along with them. Trueshot Aura is now a default hunter ability that all hunter specs get automatically. Some buffs/debuffs have been removed and a new mastery buff has been added — this also changes which buffs hunter pets bring.

The following raid buffs are being removed in 5.0.4: 30% bleed damage, armor, mana regen, 6% spellpower, 3% damage done, Str & Agility, Intellect. You can see a full list of raid buffs in the Mists of Pandaria Raid Buffs article.
Other Hunter Changes

Above are all the really big changes, but it’s worth highlighting some of the other hunter changes coming in 5.0.4 that don’t require their own section:

Shots that are missed or dodged now only cost 20% of the focus that they would otherwise have cost. So it still hurts to be dodged, but not quite as much.
Readiness is turning into a default hunter ability, that all hunter specs will have without having to spend a talent on it.
Steady Shot and Cobra Shot will generate 14 focus per shot, rather than the 9 focus per shot of Cataclysm.
Trap Launcher is awesomely cooler — it now toggles on or off. If it’s on every trap is launched; if it’s off every trap drops at your feet.
Hunters are getting a couple of knockback effects in Mists. One is a level 90 talent, Powershot, but with the Glyph of Explosive Trap we can also turn our Explosive Trap into a sweet AoE knockback. Do not use in groups/raids without raidleader okay, or they’ll hate you for it and rightly so.
There will be no more resistances, and no more spell penetration
Helm enchants are going away entirely — as will your existing one. There is nothing to replace this with and that’s just find.
Worth stressing again: minimum range is going away
Your ranged weapon will appear on your back
You will find your menu for mounts and vanity pets under its own icon (a horse head) on your main toolbar (down by the game menu).
Buffs and Debuffs have been consolidated into a single dropdown. The game will tell you what buffs you’re missing if you’re in a raid.
Really, if you remember just one thing remember to turn off growl!

Whew! I think that’s everything hunters really need to know for patch 5.0.4. Can you guys think of anything substantial that I missed that should be included?

As usual, this guide is best read on the host site.
--
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Malanorei (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Slightly offtopic, but this thread made me think of Cap'nObvious.

Where's he been?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

I know... I miss him, too. Last I heard he didn't have any solid plans of playing in MoP. I hope I'm wrong.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Immer

Until lvl 90, you need to be playing as Beastmaster otherwise you're doing it wrong.

Explosive Shot is Explosive Shit right now.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

Yes, beastmaster is rockin' right now. My wife still performs decently as survival. But it feels like an overall nerf because beastmaster got such a buff.

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Immer

Just about to finish leveling my very first hunter (lvl 84.5ish)(after playing since vanilla and never giving it a try...)

Beastmaster feels completely ridiculous right now and I love it's face. I think right now I'd probably call BM hunter my #3 favorite class/spec to play following Guardian Druid and Frost Mage.

Now to experience the hunt for rare spawn pets!
--
Eumaeus - Guardian Druid
GM of Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
Recruiting for 10m MoP - T/W 7:30-11:30 EST Msg for Info

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

another endeavor made more painful by cross-server zoning.

Ginjer
Premium
join:2009-08-14
Honolulu, HI
reply to Eumaeus

said by Eumaeus:

Just about to finish leveling my very first hunter (lvl 84.5ish)(after playing since vanilla and never giving it a try...)

Beastmaster feels completely ridiculous right now and I love it's face. I think right now I'd probably call BM hunter my #3 favorite class/spec to play following Guardian Druid and Frost Mage.

Now to experience the hunt for rare spawn pets!

I purposely leveled a hunter just for that reason. All of my slots are taken up by rare spawns or unique skinned pets. You will love it, and spend endless hours farming them. But, it is almost like raids, you hope for something to happen and spend crazy amounts of time on it. My favorite pet thus far has to be Terrorpene. Have a healer and go get him! Although, I may have to find myself a Basilisk now since we can tame those.
--
Genjer (85 Goblin Death Knight), Jinnjer (85 Troll Druid), Ginjer (85 Orc Hunter), Taeble (85 Goblin Mage), Westernsteer (85 Tauren Paladin), Jinnjer (85 Goblin Rogue), Potable (85 Goblin Priest), Sunlock (85 Orc Warlock), Dalishaman (85 Orc Shaman) MG/H

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

in regards to taming rare pets....don't expect to get them in a timely manner....

any long time hunter knows that you can't camp spawn locations to tame the choice beast. when it wants to be tamed, it will come to you
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Immer

Haha yeah I have no doubt that it'll take a while.

As if to prove that point, a guild member linked a Crystallized Tear saying that he probably made some hunter sad - as I'm playing my hunter at lvl 84 (it was Sambas in Twilight Highlands).

I've been using Ashtail the rare grey fox since I was a lowbie. Hoping to find King Krush sometime here soon(ish).

My wife and I did recently capture the spirit owl in Hyjal for her brother at least : )
--
Eumaeus - Guardian Druid
GM of Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
Recruiting for 10m MoP - T/W 7:30-11:30 EST Msg for Info

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Immer

said by 5.1PTR notes :

Hunter
Talents and Specialization

Lynx Rush: Your pet rapidly charges from target to target, attacking 9 times over 4 sec. Each attack causes the target to bleed for 1000(465) damage over 15 sec, stacking up to 9 times. The pet must be within 10 yards of the target to Lynx Rush.

Apparently the ability was changed to a flat 1000 dmg when I wasn't looking (on live it is 200% of your pet's normal dmg)... but has been bumped down to 465. Last I checked hunters weren't exactly toppin' charts... by any margin. There is a chance this is merely an attempt to simplify the Lynx Rush formula... but I smells like a nerf to me.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Agrende (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)

Expand your moderator at work

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Immer

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Hunter Guide

said by Scattered Shots Blog :

Scattered Shots: Don't anger the tank or she will make you cry
by Brian Wood Oct 18th 2012 at 1:00PM

Scattered Shots Don't piss of the tank or she will make you cry THURSDAY
Every Thursday, WoW Insider brings you Scattered Shots for beast mastery, marksmanship and survival hunters. Frostheim of Warcraft Hunters Union and the hunter podcast uses logic and science (mixed with a few mugs of dwarven stout) to look deep into the hunter class. Mail your hunter questions to Frostheim.

Mists of Pandaria has brought a lot of awesome stuff to hunters: minimum range finally dead and buried, the awesomeness that is Stampede, improved self-heals, better burst for all specs, and very clever new rare pet tracking challenges. It has also brought us so many flipping buttons to press when DPSing that we need a third hand to keep up with it all.

While the hunter changes in Mists have been overwhelmingly positive, they've also introduced new ways for hunters to make mistakes. And I'm not just talking about mistakes that affect the hunter -- like the tragedy of rolling an elf back when you didn't know any better -- I'm talking about mistakes that hurt your group.

There are also a lot of opportunities for the unwitting hunter to piss off the tank. That may be all good fun and games when you're running in a guild group, but when you're running Dungeon Finder you do not want to piss off the tank: she has all the power. You annoy her enough and she'll initiate a vote kick. No one else wants to be on the tank's bad side so they'll vote to boot your sorry ass. But not until the tank calls you names until you cry like a sissy little elf.

Here's what to look out for in Mists.

Turn growl off

Seriously, turn your pet's Growl off. Right not. Hop in the game, turn off growl, then come back and finish this article. I'll wait.

Okay, whatever, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Where our pet's Growl used to just generate threat, it now acts as a taunt, automatically pulling mob aggro off the tank. It doesn't work on raid bosses, but on trash it is going to piss off your tanks something fierce. And for the record, when they yell at you about it, they are right. They have the full support of Frostheim to call you names and compare you to an elf.

Growl is no longer something you can leave on just in case you get a tank that isn't doing his job. In a 5-man environment, it is instead a tool you can use to pull mobs off the healer in a pinch situation (if the mobs are on a DPSer, just leave 'em there).

Stampede: turn all the growls off

On a very closely related note, Stampede pets can and will Growl as well, which will also piss off the tank. In some ways this is even worse than having your pet Growl, because rather than just calling you names and yelling at you to turn Growl off, the tank is going to blame Stampede. She will never again want any hunter anywhere using Stampede, thinking it pulls aggro -- when in fact it was your fault, not our awesome burst DPS ability's. And all of us are going to hate you for it.

There are two solutions: the first is to make sure that every single pet in your active stable of 5 pets all have Growl turned off before it is dismissed. The easier solution is just to make sure you use the Glyph of Stampede. That way all of your pets will be clones of the pet you have out, and if your active pet has Growl turned off, so will all the Stampede pets.

And since you can never actually see your Stampede pets in the melee throng behind the boss, who cares if they all look the same?

Beware Barrage

When it comes to AoEing packs of mobs down, Barrage is an incredibly satisfying and effective level 90 talent choice. However, it also has a high chance of pulling in neighboring packs of mobs. While the ability itself has a 40 yard range, it seems that when it comes to the AoE spray Barrage is willing to go far, far beyond the 40 yards to pull distant mobs when you least want them. Then the tank yells at you until you cry.

To use Barrage in 5-mans you have to be very careful about your positioning. This often involves actually moving past the group of mobs and turning around to fire back the way you came. If you're very familiar with the dungeon you'll learn when you can safely fire and exactly how you have to position yourself.

Alternatively, you can go the safe route and use Glaive Toss for your AoE pulls.

Beware Powershot

Very bluntly, Powershot is not an ability to use in 5-mans. The knockback component is specifically designed to piss off tanks as you shove their tanking targets out of their range just as they trigger their expensive abilities ... every pull.

If you use Powershot in Dungeon Finder groups the tank will tell you to stop. If you don't stop then the tank will yell at you until you cry.

Of course in addition to all these new dangers of Mists of Pandaria ways to piss off your tank, you still don't want to do any of the normal stuff that pisses tanks off -- like only hitting Feign Death after you've pulled aggro.(immer comment: pet peeve of mine)

If you don't want to cry like an blood elf, use your new abilities responsibly and don't piss off the tank.

--
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

So I've noticed something weird with Misdirection ...

I have a standard macro for auto-target priority: focus (if alive and helpful), target (if alive and helpful), pet. I have the Misdirect glyph to reset the CD when I use it on my pet.

The CD is also getting reset when I use it on my focus target (e.g. the tank) in dungeons. It's most decidedly going on the tank; he gets bigger (a minor glyph), he has the buff before I fire, and Omen shows his threat going up.

I haven't tested with a "pure" Misdirect yet, so I don't know if its a bug because my macro COULD target my pet, or if its a change I missed, or what.

But this has been awesome.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

Also side note on that Stampede glyph note:

Your 5 pets do use their buffs when they Stampede. So if you have a pet that gives a buff you don't have otherwise (common in 5 mans), you have incentive not to use it.

That said, turn off Growl on your stable plox.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Nick D

said by Nick D:

But this has been awesome.

SHHHhhhhhhhh

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Nick D

said by Nick D:

Also side note on that Stampede glyph note:

Your 5 pets do use their buffs when they Stampede. So if you have a pet that gives a buff you don't have otherwise (common in 5 mans), you have incentive not to use it.

That said, turn off Growl on your stable plox.

Truth. Since my audience is the beginner user, I tend to skip some of the finer details... but I had the same thought as I read the blog post. My wife keeps a diversified stable for this very reason.
--

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I've been leveling my hunter (she's 88) - and she rocks. I've tried BM and SV, I always loved SV, so I mostly do that. I'm easily hitting 35-40k on boss fights in 87 dungeons, and 25k single target without CD's while questing. OP.

EDIT: I was doing 35-4k at lvl 86 in dungeons. It just keeps getting higher as I go. I can't wait to see what she's capable of in heroics with decent gear.

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The loss of hit, exp, crit, and haste from the higher level requirements keeps it at that level until you gear up in heroics.

I play SV mostly as well, not quite feeling BM (maybe i just don't know the rotation). But SV is close enough to BM that i just stick to that.

If i don't screw up, single target i get 50-60k roughly. Sometimes higher sometimes lower ILVL 462

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to clawfury

I just love survival, I will but bm as my second spec, I was doing 50k on bosses just with a new gun from the brewery.

Hope I had more time to level him.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Energystream

said by Energystream:

The loss of hit, exp, crit, and haste from the higher level requirements keeps it at that level until you gear up in heroics.

I play SV mostly as well, not quite feeling BM (maybe i just don't know the rotation). But SV is close enough to BM that i just stick to that.

If i don't screw up, single target i get 50-60k roughly. Sometimes higher sometimes lower ILVL 462

Yeah you were around 70 in no gimmicky fights in heroics.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Immer

I went with Thrill of the hunt instead of dire beast or fervor. One problem I find myself having is the ridiculous amount of free arcane shots I get during a single target encounter. It is very tempting to use them, but I have to control myself and prioritize Explosive shot, Glaive, Black Arrow, and the occasional Cobra to keep Serpent Sting up.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

1 edit
reply to Jobbie

Click for full size
Feng (single target)
Click for full size
Stone Guard (pet cleave)
Top 10M Normal parses for Hunters from »worldoflogs.com. I couldn't get it to flat-out say "this is hunter's pet dmg" but the "Other" is most likely the hunter pet dmg. I'm not the hunter expert... but I thought the differences in dmg profiles was interesting.

The key differentiating factor between SV and BM is in their primary dmg dealing ability. SV relies on ISS/SS (Improved Serpent Sting and Serpent Sting) while BM relies more on the pet abilities and Arcane shot. BM is situated very nicely in single target and some beast-cleave situations to some extent... but when there are LOTS of adds, the ability for SV to spread ISS/SS completely trounces BM on the dmg done meter. All hunters should be rocking both SV and BM specs, IMO.

However, that only matters if the hunter is equally skilled in SV and BM. If that is not the case, then clearly the hunter will do better in the spec he/she is more skilled with.
--

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I have always bounced between specs, but it has to be for a significant dps boost. Right now if someone wants to be competitive they should be using SV or BM. MM is lagging, but we shall see if the new changes help that.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but it still feels for single target it is better to use AS during TOTH procs versus multi. SV's mastery boosts Arcane shot as well as practically every other shot.

But as with any class to really maximize dps, you need to try and be on global cooldown, always.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Being on global cooldown is key, I agree. In past tiers with my hunter (always played SV, even when it sucked) I found that I could significantly beat better geared dps of almost any spec just by keeping a high activity level and not dropping GCD's. It must be a common theme with low to average performing dps (low activity level, dropping procs/dots, missing GCD's). Granted, I'd come across many well geared dps who could actually play well, and in that case, I got beat handily (gear advantage). I'm a firm believe in skill > gear in almost all cases.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

said by clawfury:

skill > gear in almost all cases.

Agreed, but it should be taken as a caveat to class discussions and theory crafting. In-game experiences vary drastically. In the screencaps above, each hunter was above 98% active time. You don't get top parses without living in that 98~100% active time window, regardless of class.

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The "other" damage is all over the place. In that last one, it is a survival hunter, and it is most of their damage. Even the difference between the two survival hunters is crazy. The first one you don't see ISS, SS or Multi at all..

That last one looks like some sort of cheesing.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

2 edits

Click for full size
StoneGuard Fight with pet involvment in dmg done
good points. I should revisit those logs when I have more time.

edit: part of it is really bad "shortcutting" done by the website there. Looking at dmg by spell we see things a little bit more clear, but none of the pet abilities are showing... still digging.

edit2: Okay... here is a breakdown of that one fight. So it remains pet vs. SS.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4
reply to Immer

After reading this thread last night I decided to go dust off my level 20 something SV Hunter. Before logging in with him though, I figured I should get him some heirlooms. Long story short, I ended up getting him some leathers just to learn that at lvl 40 Hunters can wear mail. Fail.

So a couple questions:

1) What classes use leather up to lvl 80?
2) What types of enchantments and/or other gear enhancements can I put on the heirloomed gear? (I can't visit the normal sites atm) I have the bow, guild cloak and helm, and leather chest I believe.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

1 edit

said by Carpie:

So a couple questions:

1) What classes use Agility leather up to lvl 80?
2) What types of enchantments and/or other gear enhancements can I put on the heirloomed gear? (I can't visit the normal sites atm) I have the bow, guild cloak and helm, and leather chest I believe.

1. rogue, monk, and feral/guardian druid
2. enchantments that do not have a minimum ilvl requirement. I'll draw up a list on my first break at work.

edit: I missed an important one... and have been corrected.
--