share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Fax/Scanner/color printer questions

As most of you know, I have a pauper's budget, and in fact, I'm gonna have to wait to get one, but I need a Fax device. I have to do several faxes a month, I also need the ability to scan stuff, documents mainly. And then make the occasional copy, on a rare occasion.

I want something I can connect to my computer that is Win7 AND hopefully Linux capable, doesn't take up much space, is EXTREMELY low priced, and will work serviceabley for a couple years.

I don't need to scan pictures of models. I don't need to do massive copying. I only need to fax 3 to 6 times a month. My phone line is cableco and VOIP both. I don't intend on getting a dedicated phone line for faxing.

Once again, my budget is the dollar menu at BK! I'll even consider downrev devices if there is a chance drivers might work in Win8 in the future. Linux is not a must, but it sure would be good to have.

Any suggestions, advice, if you care to help, that you might offer? Thanks guys!

Edit: I am interested in a flatbed. If I have to, I'll go with a plain scanner and modem.

--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
Does your PC not already have a fax/modem in it? also, faxing via VoIP can be problematic at best. I'd suggest getting a fax/modem for your PC first, then try testing the sending of faxes just to see how well it works with your voip hardware before spending any additional money.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I am aware that some VOIP providers and some ATA settings are an issue for faxing. OTOH, my primary landline is a cableco and they advertise fax capability IIRC.

Good idea on the modem, though once I spend money on the modem, if it works, I've just blown money on something I won't use. OTOH, even if the fax capability is a problem for the cableco telephone service, I'll still have the option, should I change to telco and it will still work as a scanner and copier and color printer.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I have an HP Officejet 8600 and it works great. I rarely use the fax portion, but the 2-3 times I have it has worked fine. My phone line is Vonage VOIP.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I went to Best Buy and bought an Epson WorkForce 520. Flat bed scanner/ auto document feeder, fax, and color printer It is network capable. Has both Wireless and ethernet connections for networking or can be used as a single PC printer via USB. Ink is reasonable and It works with Windows 7 Pro, and Windows Vista.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
See one on eBay for 129 plus shipping. I'll keep that model in mind. It's says Piezo. I don't know anything about the various types of inkjet printers, but I gather piezo is desireable. I know what piezo technology is since we use them in phase shift interferometry, and learned about the piezo effect in school, but would like to know more about how it is implemented in printers...
--