spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Range of M5 Rocket Omni

What is the multipoint range of an M5 omni with NB5 on the remote end? Is 14 miles too far?

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

I think 14 miles is 2 far I think 5-10miles is good for omni.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Is that real world experience or speculation?

treich

treich to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
that is just speculation I never tried it under M5 stuff under M2 I had good luck about 5miles.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
Real world example: 10 miles to a nb5 and the ap is a 19 dbi rocket sector. -74 @MCS0, -77 at MCS12. You could do the math to get omni/ns5 numbers.

treich

treich to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
here you go this should help you: »dl.ubnt.com/UBNT-gain_ma ··· ix_2.pdf

Note this as not be updated since 2010
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

The equipment and the laws of physics haven't changed since then either.

Don't count on an omni getting you that far. Also don't count on anything if there is a tree branch in the way.

The only way you will get that range is in 5.8 to begin with. 5.3-5.4 is crippled with FCC power regs. So now you have to worry about your back hauls messing with you, if you use 5.8 to do that with.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
I use the omni's when i need to go less than 5km rural, or 2km urban.

The range is crap compared to the 19dbi sectors which i can get up to 30km with a NB25dbi in a rural area.

But of course the omni's arent designed for distance, they are designed for short range.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
Omni or sector will still have the same EIRP limits. Only advantage is higher received signal going into the AP's receiver from the client - sort of like increasing the client's EIRP.
rconaway8
join:2005-11-10
Phoenix, AZ

rconaway8

I get about 2.5 miles with signal strength's around low to mid 70's with a Nanobridges and the Rocket 5 with 13dBi omni set to 21dBm. Nanostation M5 at that distance is low 80's.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
High gain sectors (14dBi or more) will have poor performance close in due to their pattern and the nulls, whereas low gain omnis (12dBi or less) will have better close in performance due to the nature of the pattern.

Each antenna type has its strengths and weakness. Each location must be evaluated for the operational objectives and equipment selected accordingly.

'Tis a dance, and a balance.