Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian

Re: Google disables SSL compression in Chrome against new attack

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting article. I knew very little about SPDY and any browser until this thread and that article was informative not just for Opera but in a more general way also.

I don't use secure web browsing except for banking or logging in somewhere. It puzzles me why there is a push for secure browsing when it is just ordinary browsing. I saw the Opera article refer to a Fx extension that shows you when SPDY is being used. I hope it will install on SM since I don't have a Fx version that has SPDY.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the eventual end of Proxo? I don't use Proxo SSL because the only SSL I need is for banking, and logging in sites that require that, and the rare times when I purchase something on the internet (and I am extremely reluctant to do that so only if I absolutely have to as I can't find the item here or a reasonable substitute).

I obviously don't care how fast a browser is since my favorite browser is Fx 4 and it is much slower than Opera 12 but Opera 12 is an awful browser. Why sacrifice a good browser on the speed altar? So, I am not in need of SPDY and will disable it on any browser I see it on.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

It puzzles me why there is a push for secure browsing when it is just ordinary browsing.

Because using HTTPS makes snooping harder. I use SSL with Google/GoogleSharing to prevent my ISP from monitoring my searches. Bob might still be able to see stuff but without going to great lengths I can't stop that
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Well, I had forgotten momentarily that Google Sharing extension forces SSL connection. I love the extension but I see no real need for SSL for searches if the extension is scrambling and mixing up my search with a bunch of others. Because I don't use SSL for Proxo it means I see ads on Google searches using Google Sharing.

As for my ISP, well, gee, again I don't see why I should get upset about them theoretically being able to see every where I go. That has been the case since I got a computer in 1999. Why the sudden concern now, but not for all these past years? My ISP has never betrayed me (except for trying to force their search page for urls that are mistyped but I could easily and permanently opt out), but Google sure would just as Facebook, etc would.. and Yahoo...I haven't been to Yahoo about 10 years. They are the worst for betrayal and snooping...but my ISP? As I said, why would that suddenly concern me when it hasn't in all these years? I haven't seen my ISP suddenly becoming evel...maybe I am missing something though.....

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

...maybe I am missing something though.....

I think so.

Your ISP is Going to Spy on You Starting July 12, 2012
quote:
One year ago, the RIAA and the MPAA organized a project with the largest internet service providers in the US to begin monitoring their customer’s internet activity. This monitoring was introduced as a joint coalition to combat piracy.

Anon users
@anonymouse.org

Anon users

Anon

SPDY ON on Firefox 15!!! not on 10ESR

No wonder why Firefox Mobile has discontinued 10.0.7 ESR and force users to use 15.0.1

Just turned off SPDY in Firefox mobile 15, Thx a million!!! Shame Mozilla!!!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Oh...the pirating thing....haven't done that in many years...errr...if I ever did. Yeah, I read that thread but that affects those who pirate. The ISPs have always been able to track the users so the only difference now is they will do so in connection with RIAA and that is the pits but unless you are a current pirate how does it affect you differently from before this?

I would be very pissed if my idiot state legislature had passed that hairbrained law that one representative introduced last session because she didn't know how to properly protect her website, but that got canned and I don't equate looking for pirates to be anything like what the state law would have been if passed and implemented. It is this latter crap that we must protest and stop.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Yeah, I read that thread but that affects those who pirate.

I disagree. I don't pirate but that's not the point. Many ISP's now monitor traffic ostensibly in the name of preventing piracy but who knows what they do with the data they collect. No doubt the three letter agencies get a copy.

The bottom line: it's none of my ISP's (or anyone else's) business what I search for etc. But if you're ok with everything being monitored be my guest.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

It puzzles me why there is a push for secure browsing

it concerns me because i don't like the idea that data that is transferred via a secure connection bypasses my av program's "webguard"..