uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to GeekNJ

Re: RadioReference.com Change

The way he is going about this seems backwards to me. Wouldn't you normally give you providers the "perks" to supply you with content and then charge a little to the consumers? I do not know of too many people that want to PAY to deliver content.

If this really does work, then someone should trick the media broadcasters (ABC, NBC, etc..) into doing this. That way we could all get our cable for free and they could pay Comcast, Time Warner, etc. to distribute it.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

3 edits
said by ropeguru:

The way he is going about this seems backwards to me. Wouldn't you normally give you providers the "perks" to supply you with content and then charge a little to the consumers? I do not know of too many people that want to PAY to deliver content.

I guess I do not understand the fuss. I asked this morning over at RR and was told feed providers do not have to pay for providing a feed.

Seems to me a hand full of feed providers are doing so just to get the premium membership to RR. Maybe that is the wrong reason to be a feed provider?

I know we like to pretend that providing a scanner feed is some great technological feat requiring vast amounts of time and effort, not to mention computer and radio knowledge... But really it's a no brainier and if you use the free tools they provide like Scannercast it's pretty much plug, point, click and you're a feed provider.

So I believe all these feed providers that think they are going to hurt RR/Broadcastify by leaving will be replaced by someone that will provide a feed just to provide a feed. That's how I got started even before I knew about RR someone locally was hosting their own feed. They moved away and of course shutdown the feed. I decided that I would fill that void myself.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

If this really does work, then someone should trick the media broadcasters (ABC, NBC, etc..) into doing this. That way we could all get our cable for free and they could pay Comcast, Time Warner, etc. to distribute it.

I don't think you understand how this will work.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!