uniqs

pmd
join:2012-08-08
Manotick, ON

pmd

Re: PVR Drive Cycling

Call Rogers Cable Tech Support 1-888-764-3771
Report your problem using Master Ticket PT00063763
Ask to speak to a supervisor or manager to get someone who may have at least heard of the problem and can action it. (HSUD problem in 2010-2011 took 6 months for any change! Fix was leaving drive on 24/7.)

If they transfer you to Customer service, tell them the master ticket number again and ask to talk to a manager. You can ask for a rebate but they won't give you one until the problem is fixed. Someone will call within a few days and possibly give you a ticket number or even start the ball rolling to get it fixed. Ever the optimist.

grrr
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Toronto, ON

grrr to pmd

Premium Member

to pmd
So on top of this hard drive spinning up/down issue, I've also noticed that now when deleting shows, you have to go back to the beginning of your show list each time, whereas you used to be able to delete a show and then go to the next show that was on your list.

I know I'm not explaining this very well, but if you have to delete multiple shows that are on the same day, for example two shows from Tuesday and you're performing this task on a Friday, you used to delete the one show on Tuesday and when you go to delete the second show from Tuesday it kept your spot on Tuesday, but now it goes back to Friday each time.

This is just another one of those annoyances that Rogers specializes in.

pmd
Manotick, ON

pmd

Here are other discussions on the HSUD problem. #1 has a list of all the "improvements" in September's update:

1. New SARA Firmware 1.93.14.1 Discussions (SA8300HD) Summary in Post 1
»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· t=156392

2. SA Explorer 8300HD Repair? (HSUD)
»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· t=156740

I hear my cable 8300 HD turning on and off by itself during various parts of the day
»communityforums.rogers.c ··· ht/false

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to yabos

Premium Member

to yabos
said by yabos:

Something must be reading or writing to the hard drive every few minutes which causes it to spin back up. This could be the PVR scheduler checking the recording database, or something syncing it's state with a database on the drive.

knowing rogers it's most likely the PVR calling home to make sure it's authenticating every 10 minutes, except that the drive probably goes to sleep every 5 minutes.

Just a few months to go

pmd
Manotick, ON

1 edit

pmd

I posted a summary of what I've learned over the last 2 weeks in the hopes others can spread the word and get Rogers' attention:
»communityforums.rogers.c ··· 41#M6641

I included Pritcc's post Sep. 30, 2012 in the Rogers forum:
".. submitted a complaint to the CRTC about the PVR problem: This is your reference number: 592676"
»communityforums.rogers.c ··· 97#M6597

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by pmd:

I just submitted a complaint to the CRTC about the PVR problem....

While we all applaud your initiative unfortunately your efforts are for nothing. While the CRTC has approved Rogers as a cable service provider their mandate does not include the ability to tell Rogers how to deliver that service.

Been there, done that with the CRTC regarding Rogers not provisioning 3rd party modems last year......
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

Hooter

For what it is worth, this was just posted on the Rogers Facebook page.

"Hi, Cisco has been engaged and is working on a fix. Thanks for your patience! @RogersNicolas"
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to pmd

to pmd
Hi folks, Chris here from the Rogers social media team.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are actively working with our vendor on a solution.

I will share any new info I can provide as it crosses my desk here in this thread.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Rogers_Chris:

Hi folks, Chris here from the Rogers social media team.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are actively working with our vendor on a solution.

I will share any new info I can provide as it crosses my desk here in this thread.

Lets hope it doesnt take 3-4 months like last time...

Better question to ask, who the hell does the testing of these firmwares? Is rogers gonna be responsible for repairing customers' own boxes when their drives die due to 100's of cycles per day?

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to Rogers_Chris

to Rogers_Chris
said by Rogers_Chris:

Translation: We've known about this issue from Day 1 but since it's being openly discussed we'll get back to you in 6 months with a fix...maybe.

Until then, pay your Rogers bill on time. The fact that we can't deliver the quality service/equipment you're paying for is irrelevant. We're Rogers and we answer to no one...................

pmd
Manotick, ON

pmd to Hooter

to Hooter
I don't see any post by Rogers on Facebook - can you give a URL please?
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

said by pmd:

I don't see any post by Rogers on Facebook - can you give a URL please?

»www.facebook.com/Rogers/ ··· nt_reply

pmd
Manotick, ON

pmd to Rogers_Chris

to Rogers_Chris
said by Rogers_Chris:

Hi folks, Chris here from the Rogers social media team ... I will share any new info I can provide as it crosses my desk here in this thread.

Welcome Chris! I commend you for your bravery, since the people in this forum have been sharing info, work-arounds, symptoms and suffering for 3 weeks (some may have run out of civility). By all means let us know whatever you can share. Everyone please be gentle. We need all the info and help we can get.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Agreed pmd. It is nice to hear a reply and hopefully, more to come in the future!

pmd
Manotick, ON

pmd to Hooter

to Hooter
Hooter, your URL on facebook has disappeared! Hmm.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by elitefx:

We're Rogers and we answer to no one...................

Yup.......
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to pmd

to pmd
I am not sure if this is related to the September SARA update on the 8300 PVR boxes which has caused numerous issues, but we have noticed another issue in the past 24 hours. While watching "live" TV, we are now experiencing 2-3 second pauses (previously this only occurred while watching a recorded show) and on occasion, the picture simply freezes. The only solution is to change channels and then switch back again. Or could this be the result of the hard drive being destroyed because of the constant spinning up and down caused by the update?

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Could be the hard drive, could be another Firmware issue, maybe it's a broadcast signal feed issue, could be just about anything.

Unfortunately the underlying problem continues to be the same on all fronts. Rogers continued use of 10 cent 3rd rate garbage hardware.

We got a rover on Mars, unmanned commercial resupply to the space station, remote controlled drone aircraft and yet Rogers is still using low grade technology and unreliable poor quality equipment to deliver broadband services.

Post after post after post of Rogers equipment failure issues here and elsewhere.

We can analyse/rationalize the issues till hell freezes over but when all is said and done the problem boils down to Rogers complete and utter failure to provide quality service and hardware in return for your hard earned consumer dollars.

Garbage in...garbage out. Another law of nature.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Hooter

Premium Member

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

I am not sure if this is related to the September SARA update on the 8300 PVR boxes which has caused numerous issues, but we have noticed another issue in the past 24 hours. While watching "live" TV, we are now experiencing 2-3 second pauses (previously this only occurred while watching a recorded show) and on occasion, the picture simply freezes

I have seen that as well. Weird thing is the audio continues, but the video freezes up.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

With me it is both the audio and the video. I was told on another forum that the solution is the same as when you are watching a recorded program and it pauses because the hard drive is spinning down. You need to set a background recording which will prevent HSUD. Keep in mind it is not a fix, but a temporary solution until Rogers gets their act together!

elitefx
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx

said by Hooter:

......but a temporary solution until Rogers gets their act together!

Doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon according to Rogers TOS:
said by Rogers :

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law:
• neither Rogers nor Yahoo! guarantees or warrants the performance, availability, coverage,
uninterrupted use, security, pricing or operation of the Services, the Equipment or any
products, content, applications, services, facilities, connections or networks used or provided by
us or third parties (collectively, the “Offering”);
• you bear the entire risk as to the use, availability, reliability, timeliness, quality, security and
performance of the Offering connections or networks; and
• neither Rogers nor Yahoo! makes any express or implied representations, warranties or
conditions, including warranties of title or non-infringement, or implied warranties of
merchantable quality or fitness for a particular purpose, with regard to the Offering.
All representations, warranties and conditions of any kind, express or implied, are excluded to the
maximum extent permitted by applicable law. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law,
no advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from Rogers, Yahoo!, or our
agents, dealers or representatives, creates any term, condition, representation or warranty not
expressly stated in the Service Agreement.
You are solely responsible for the following matters:
• any access to the Equipment;
• maintaining the security and privacy of your property and your transmissions using the
05/07
Services, the Equipment or our facilities or network; and
• protecting against any breaches of security or privacy or other risks involved in installing,
using, maintaining or changing the Services or the Equipment.
28. Unless otherwise specifically set out in the Service Agreement, to the maximum extent permitted by
applicable law, neither Rogers nor Yahoo! will be liable to you or to any third party for:
• any direct, indirect, special, consequential, incidental, economic or punitive damages
(including loss of profit or revenue; financial loss; loss of business opportunities; loss,
destruction or alteration of data, files or software; breach of privacy or security; personal
injury; death or any other foreseeable or unforeseeable loss, however caused) resulting or
relating directly or indirectly from or relating to the Offering or any advertisements,
promotions or statements relating to any of the foregoing, even if we were negligent or were
advised of the possibility of such damages.......

IMHO Rogers is under no obligation to guarantee service, performance, uninterrupted use, equipment reliability or even a connection to the network.....

pmd
Manotick, ON

pmd

After 4 or 5 calls to tech support, I got bumped up to Customer Service, who finally promised me "management" would phone me after I complained that their "firmware" is being pushed to my equipment, which I cannot block, resulting in problems which prevent me from using my 2 PVRs as I unplug them when not in use (rather than keeping them on 24/7 and recording music at night to prevent standby).
The call from "management" finally connected a week later and I was offered a 1-month rebate - about $80. Very fair IMO. I told them I'd rather have a fix but accepted the rebate. I will start the process again if it's not fixed in another month.
LeadFoot
join:2012-09-21

LeadFoot

In 2010 when the firmware update to the 8300HD started the hard drive cycling on and off every few minutes and after a number of calls to Rogers, I finally told them "As far as I was concerned they were damaging my purchased PVR and that I was going to unplug them until they fixed the problem and I expected a free rental". The CSR said that sounded reasonable to him and made a call to Customer Relations (I think) and I picked the rental up later that day. Months later after another update left the drives spinning 24/7 (an acceptable fix), I went to return the rental and was told it was free for a year, so might was well keep it. When the year was up (early 2012), I tried to return it and was told I could keep it for another year (long time good customer promotion). I'm glad I did. Since my purchased PVR is really a spare, I've unplugged it again.

batkinson001
join:2006-08-07
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

batkinson001 to pmd

to pmd
Thanks for all who posted here, it has influenced my decision to NOT purchase/Rent the Rogers Nexbox PVR device at this time... My LG LRH-780 is not dead yet (getting there though), just need a new Digital Cable box... will wait for the bug fixes.

tinytommy
@bell.ca

tinytommy

Anon

Hey, Rogers_Chris, how about an update?
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

He has no updates. I posted on Facebook today and this is what I got from Chris.

When we have more information we'll be sharing it. @Rogers_Chris

AND THIS!

Of course we've checked with Cisco and we have no updates to share at the moment. I'd tell you more but we don't have anything to tell! Sorry. @Rogers_Chris

It is getting ridiculous, but Rogers is being no help at all! I wonder if they even care!
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

1 recommendation

Ree

said by Hooter:

It is getting ridiculous, but Rogers is being no help at all! I wonder if they even care!

Maybe there's a large number of people who own these boxes, and this is their way of getting them to buy a new box...sure dslreports users might know how to replace the HD on the cheap, but I'll bet the majority of users don't, so they'll shell out another $500 to replace the whole thing.

(I don't really believe this is true, although at the same time it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was!)

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

Using Occam's razor a little here ... "Don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by pure incompetence"
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to tinytommy

to tinytommy
We're working with our vendor on a solution. We'll have more information to share as it becomes available.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to pmd

Mod

to pmd
I think you'll find the lack of confidence Rogers_Chris, is because it took many months to sort out the last time, and then bam, it's like deja vu all over again.