share rss forum feed

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to decx

Re: PVR Drive Cycling

anyway, you can always pick up a $10 sata/pata convertor.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
True but I'm not sure whether it'll fit inside the 8300 so I can't recommend that as a solution.

LeadFoot

join:2012-09-21

1 edit
reply to pmd
The answer is for Rogers/Cisco to fix the SARA firmware and stop shutting off the hard drive. Other makes of PVRs like Motorola keep the drive spinning 24/7 as does the Cisco 8642 with the newest firmware. It's been decades since I've done any programing, but it could be as simple as a 1 bit change in the code. They need to find the routine that's turning the drive off and change it. This is not rocket science.

Warhorse

join:2007-09-25
Orleans, ON
reply to pmd
This has definitely gone on long enough!!! As an engineer, I sincerely wonder if Rogers has anyone in their Tech Dept. who has the foggiest notion on how upgrades/firmware changes should be made so that the customer is kept in the loop and for the minimum period of disruption!

From my engineering experience (38 years), what should occur is an in-house test period of sufficient depth to proof the firmware upgrade. Then there should be a BETA trial on a sufficient number of volunteers to ensure everything is working OK. Finally, all customers should be advised what is to be done, and a feedback link provided if the customer has problems to report.

As this is the second time this problem has occurred, it seems Rogers has not learned from the experience and customers are still being treated with total disrespect!!! Customers pay for service and many purchased the PVR.

I sincerely feel a class action suit should be initiated ASAP! Maybe that would wake up "the powers that be but don't care" when their money is involved!!!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Rogers treat customers as Revenue Units ... The fact that Rogers is supposed to provide service is a fact that they conveniently overlook to maximize revenue.

Sadly, that's the way with most Corporations. Maximizing the remuneration for the officers of the company and maximizing shareholder return is what it's all about. It's the modern corporate morality (immorality) after all, officers and boards of corporations get tossed on their ears if they don't maximize returns. It's fiduciary responsibility by being morally irresponsible. Strangely socially and morally responsible companies can generate fiduciary responsibility. The reverse is not necessarily true, although fiduciary success can allow a company to show social responsibility.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
With SSD's being cheap now, I wonder if a SATA SSD would work with a SATA/IDE converter? It'd be silent, and use less power no matter what Rogers did with their firmware...

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to pmd
I'm not sure this would be a good application of SSDs. When the the STB is on the PVR is constantly buffering stream from the channel on which it is tuned this would put excessive write/erase cycles on the SSD. And while it would be silent and save some power, the STB wouldn't benefit from any performance gain switching to SSD.

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to Warhorse
I wish the CRCT had the intestinal fortitude to mandate CableCard. Ah well. Back to reality. Sigh.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to pmd
Both of our boxes rebooted over night. Another new SARA version was pushed out - 1.93.15.1. Too early to tell if it provides fixes for the last update - but just thought I would provide a heads up this morning!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Hooter:

Both of our boxes rebooted over night. Another new SARA version was pushed out - 1.93.15.1. Too early to tell if it provides fixes for the last update - but just thought I would provide a heads up this morning!

Seems my 8300HD rebooted overnight too, it was on Channel 01.

I'll check the firmware when I get home. I'm also in Scarborough.
--

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
I think Rogers did something to the entire network overnite. My D3 Express was running like a dog recently but this morning:

Rogers_Chris
VIP

join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON
reply to pmd
Hi Everyone. Once again, we’d like to thank you for your patience while the software update for the 8300HD PVR was being tested for deployment. We’re happy to report that the update began rolling out last night and will be completed within the next 10-12 days.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Rogers_Chris:

Hi Everyone. Once again, we’d like to thank you for your patience while the software update for the 8300HD PVR was being tested for deployment. We’re happy to report that the update began rolling out last night and will be completed within the next 10-12 days.

Well if this is indeed the fix, then I must say I'm impressed with how fast Rogers fixed it this time around...

It still doesn't excuse the fact that they don't test the firmware enough to spot such a glaring flaw, especially that it was a hot issue before...
--

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to Rogers_Chris
said by Rogers_Chris:

This is for SA 8300HD and the newer STBs?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by technocar2:

This is for SA 8300HD?

Did you even read his reply?

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
said by HiVolt:

said by technocar2:

This is for SA 8300HD?

Did you even read his reply?

lol I did but I replied too quickly.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
LOL...

Rogers_Chris
VIP

join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON
reply to pmd
I should add that this update addresses the following:

1. Hard Disk Spin Up Down
2. For a future show, instead of ‘record show’, IPG shows ‘tune to this channel’
3. List always defaults back to the top/beginning of the recorded show list, instead of last recording

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Rogers_Chris:

I should add that this update addresses the following:

1. Hard Disk Spin Up Down
2. For a future show, instead of ‘record show’, IPG shows ‘tune to this channel’
3. List always defaults back to the top/beginning of the recorded show list, instead of last recording

You know, I always wondered this, Why the PVR can't have "folders" for shows... I dont have that many, but always having to scroll down to find what was recently recorded is crappy... At least it should be an option, to start at top or view last recorded... I don't know about you, but I tend to want to watch what was recorded most recently.
--

pmd

join:2012-08-08
Manotick, ON
New firmware is great news. Does anyone in Ottawa have it yet?

View version of SA8300HD (plugged in):
On the front panel
1. Press & hold the SELECT button until the "mail" symbol flashes.
2. Press INFO button. Information page 1 will display.
3. Press the Volume+/- button to view other pages.
Page #17 has the SARA version
1.93.14.1 September
1.93.15.1 October
--
Computing 46 years and still get stumped by tech problems.

tinytommy

@bell.ca
Hates off to everyone for calling Rogers, complaining, elevating the complaints and not giving up. Recent history tells us that this could have taken a lot longer to get fixed.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to pmd
It appears I have the new Sara 1.93.15.1. Unfortunately ive been watching stuff, but i'll be done shortly and will see if the problem is fixed.

You can also get to the diag screen from your remote... Hold the pause button on the remote for 10 seconds until the mail icon appears on your box, then press the page up button to scroll.

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

You know, I always wondered this, Why the PVR can't have "folders" for shows... I dont have that many, but always having to scroll down to find what was recently recorded is crappy... At least it should be an option, to start at top or view last recorded... I don't know about you, but I tend to want to watch what was recorded most recently.

You could scroll up and after 3 clicks you would be at your latest recorded show.

tinytommy

@bell.ca
Got the update in Ottawa this morning. Everything seems to be working fine - hd stays on all the time now. At least I don't have to unplug my box every night.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
All is well here, no more spin up/spin down.

Warhorse

join:2007-09-25
Orleans, ON
reply to pmd
Evidently Ottawa has received the fix as well. Regardless, this whole situation could have been avoided if the proper approach as indicated in my earlier bleat had been followed. Also, why not keep subscribers informed as to problems and delays? Maybe fewer bad feelings would have been generated if customers knew what was going on.

Now if Rogers would only fix their iPod App so that saves don't keep being listed when in fact they already have been deleted from the PVR I might start to respect their technical capabilities!!!

pmd

join:2012-08-08
Manotick, ON
Our fix arrived in rural Ottawa. The IPG still shows descriptions only for today/tomorrow. After that you have to hit INFO - the descriptions are not saved if you return to that day/time you have to do it again.
--
Computing 46 years and still get stumped by tech problems.

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON
said by pmd:

Our fix arrived in rural Ottawa. The IPG still shows descriptions only for today/tomorrow. After that you have to hit INFO - the descriptions are not saved if you return to that day/time you have to do it again.

Actually, it shows the information for today, tomorrow, and 6 days from now (the last available day in the guide). But the other 3 days in between have no information.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Seems to show all 6 days ahead for me. Maybe it didnt properly download the IPG? I'd power cycle the box maybe.

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to pmd
Can tech support push the firmware to a unit? I still don't have the fixed one.