Search similar:

uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: PVR Drive Cycling

I think Rogers did something to the entire network overnite. My D3 Express was running like a dog recently but this morning:

Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to pmd

to pmd
Hi Everyone. Once again, we’d like to thank you for your patience while the software update for the 8300HD PVR was being tested for deployment. We’re happy to report that the update began rolling out last night and will be completed within the next 10-12 days.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Rogers_Chris:

Hi Everyone. Once again, we’d like to thank you for your patience while the software update for the 8300HD PVR was being tested for deployment. We’re happy to report that the update began rolling out last night and will be completed within the next 10-12 days.

Well if this is indeed the fix, then I must say I'm impressed with how fast Rogers fixed it this time around...

It still doesn't excuse the fact that they don't test the firmware enough to spot such a glaring flaw, especially that it was a hot issue before...
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to Rogers_Chris

to Rogers_Chris
said by Rogers_Chris:

This is for SA 8300HD and the newer STBs?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by technocar2:

This is for SA 8300HD?

Did you even read his reply?
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by HiVolt:

said by technocar2:

This is for SA 8300HD?

Did you even read his reply?

lol I did but I replied too quickly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

LOL...
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to pmd

to pmd
I should add that this update addresses the following:

1. Hard Disk Spin Up Down
2. For a future show, instead of ‘record show’, IPG shows ‘tune to this channel’
3. List always defaults back to the top/beginning of the recorded show list, instead of last recording

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Rogers_Chris:

I should add that this update addresses the following:

1. Hard Disk Spin Up Down
2. For a future show, instead of ‘record show’, IPG shows ‘tune to this channel’
3. List always defaults back to the top/beginning of the recorded show list, instead of last recording

You know, I always wondered this, Why the PVR can't have "folders" for shows... I dont have that many, but always having to scroll down to find what was recently recorded is crappy... At least it should be an option, to start at top or view last recorded... I don't know about you, but I tend to want to watch what was recorded most recently.

pmd
join:2012-08-08
Manotick, ON

pmd

New firmware is great news. Does anyone in Ottawa have it yet?

View version of SA8300HD (plugged in):
On the front panel
1. Press & hold the SELECT button until the "mail" symbol flashes.
2. Press INFO button. Information page 1 will display.
3. Press the Volume+/- button to view other pages.
Page #17 has the SARA version
1.93.14.1 September
1.93.15.1 October

tinytommy
@bell.ca

tinytommy

Anon

Hates off to everyone for calling Rogers, complaining, elevating the complaints and not giving up. Recent history tells us that this could have taken a lot longer to get fixed.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to pmd

Premium Member

to pmd
It appears I have the new Sara 1.93.15.1. Unfortunately ive been watching stuff, but i'll be done shortly and will see if the problem is fixed.

You can also get to the diag screen from your remote... Hold the pause button on the remote for 10 seconds until the mail icon appears on your box, then press the page up button to scroll.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

You know, I always wondered this, Why the PVR can't have "folders" for shows... I dont have that many, but always having to scroll down to find what was recently recorded is crappy... At least it should be an option, to start at top or view last recorded... I don't know about you, but I tend to want to watch what was recorded most recently.

You could scroll up and after 3 clicks you would be at your latest recorded show.

tinytommy
@bell.ca

tinytommy

Anon

Got the update in Ottawa this morning. Everything seems to be working fine - hd stays on all the time now. At least I don't have to unplug my box every night.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

All is well here, no more spin up/spin down.
Warhorse
join:2007-09-25
Orleans, ON

Warhorse to pmd

to pmd
Evidently Ottawa has received the fix as well. Regardless, this whole situation could have been avoided if the proper approach as indicated in my earlier bleat had been followed. Also, why not keep subscribers informed as to problems and delays? Maybe fewer bad feelings would have been generated if customers knew what was going on.

Now if Rogers would only fix their iPod App so that saves don't keep being listed when in fact they already have been deleted from the PVR I might start to respect their technical capabilities!!!

pmd
join:2012-08-08
Manotick, ON

pmd

Our fix arrived in rural Ottawa. The IPG still shows descriptions only for today/tomorrow. After that you have to hit INFO - the descriptions are not saved if you return to that day/time you have to do it again.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by pmd:

Our fix arrived in rural Ottawa. The IPG still shows descriptions only for today/tomorrow. After that you have to hit INFO - the descriptions are not saved if you return to that day/time you have to do it again.

Actually, it shows the information for today, tomorrow, and 6 days from now (the last available day in the guide). But the other 3 days in between have no information.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Seems to show all 6 days ahead for me. Maybe it didnt properly download the IPG? I'd power cycle the box maybe.

avernar
join:2002-05-23
Plattsville, ON

avernar to pmd

to pmd
Can tech support push the firmware to a unit? I still don't have the fixed one.

John Ottawa
@rogers.com

John Ottawa to pmd

Anon

to pmd
Just notice today the cycling has stopped. Another thing that was corrected - when watching a recorded program and clicking the list button it goes directly back to the proper program listing instead of going to the beginning of the list.

bwiz2k3
@rogers.com

bwiz2k3 to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
I know the spin up/down was annoying and I am happy there was some kind of fix, but does no one have an issue with the fact that the hard drive now runs 24/7?

Seems like a pretty band-aid type solution to me.

We can't fix the real problem so we'll just leave it running all the time.

WTF?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by bwiz2k3 :

We can't fix the real problem so we'll just leave it running all the time.

FYI and FEI it's much better to have the hard drive running 24/7 than spin down and restart each time it needs to read/write --- the HD were designed and built for constant usage. When it starts and stops like its been doing the HD will fail much faster.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to bwiz2k3

to bwiz2k3
IMHO the HDD spinning 24/7 shouldn't be an issue. WD or Seagate=6 to 8 watts power draw and 50,000 hrs mtbf minimum lifespan.
said by mozerd:

.....the HD were designed and built for constant usage. When it starts and stops like its been doing the HD will fail much faster.

Agreed 1000%
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed

I agree too but there has been no explanation why, if the PVR is off and not actively recording, does it need to access the hard drive with any frequency? Certainly this could have been better designed. Perhaps the drive would need to wake up for infrequent housekeeping tasks but nothing like what has been happening recently.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

The drive should not SLEEP or spin down while the PVR is powered up. As to WHY, you would need to ask CISCO .... Rogers will have no clue of whatsoever nature regardless of what Arthur may want to Chim in and state.

bwiz2k3
@rogers.com

bwiz2k3 to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
So do you leave all the lights on in your house for the same reason?

Do you leave your car idling constantly for the same reason?

The HD in the PVR never ran 24/7 before and everything was just fine. I am fine with it running when the PVR is on, but I see zero need for it to be running when the PVR is off, that is just wasteful and not needed. I am sure the average user of a PVR does not turn it on and off frequently during a typical day so I am sure the HD will survive that type of normal on/off use.

Yes the power draw is not that great, but it is still unnecessary to run it 24/7.

Not to mention the fact that the HD spinning 24/7 does make noise. In a quiet bedroom at night it is certainly noticeable.

I am fairly sure this was the low road in trying to fix the spin up/down issue and the fact that possibly running it all the time is not a bad thing from the HDs perspective, that happens to be an unintended by-product.

elitefx
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx

said by bwiz2k3 :

I am fine with it running when the PVR is on, but I see zero need for it to be running when the PVR is off, that is just wasteful and not needed.

Do you mean "off" as in idle mode waiting to record a scheduled show OR "off" as in the unit itself being powered off?

IMHO, if it's the former, that would make sense having the HDD spin (a built in timer would make more sense) BUT if it's the latter, that would be a serious design issue/flaw, not to mention, a fire hazard...HDDs have been known to go up in smoke from overheating issues.........Rare, but apparently it does happen.

bwiz2k3
@rogers.com

bwiz2k3

Anon

I am not aware that there is more than one off state on the 8300 (although I could be wrong). When I say "off" I mean the PVR still has power coming from the wall but the front 'power switch' or remote power switch has been pressed so that it is not 'on' [it's not outputting anything to the TV].

Since the unit still has power and has timers for recording, I don't see the need to have the hard drive spinning as well. The hard drive is doing nothing of value at that point. I can understand that there may be a need at times for the HD to run [for updating, etc], so it should power up then. Obviously no where near as much as it was with the recent problems. But I feel the hard drive should not spin unless there is a reason. My guess would be that the typical PVR sits 'off' much more than it does on. So spin it up when it needs to record, needs updating or when the unit is powered on for watching TV. Have it not spinning all the rest of the time.

Having had the 8300 for years, I have never been aware of the HD spinning constantly with the until 'off' until this most recent update.

Am I wrong?

Tinytommy
@bell.ca

Tinytommy

Anon

The HD was always left spinning in the firmware before 1.93.14.1 (the firmware that caused all the latest HSUD problems).