uniqs

SparkDawg
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06
Ypsilanti, MI

3 edits

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Gateway Issues? (Formerly Problems this evening?)

I'm having intermittent problems connecting to my wifi but my wired Xbox seems to connect fine (this started about 1-1 1/2 hors ago). Is there problems with at&t tonight or is my 2wire dying? Ive replaced 2wire gateway about 4 times since I started service way back.

We warned.. I am absolutely broke and cannot replace my gateway right now. Thank you.

(tested my iPad and macbook)
SparkDawg

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Re: Problems this evening?

I twitted ATTcustomercare and got no response. It's happening again today and I fear its the wireless module in my 2wire gateway.

(laptop works better becauseits closer to the router, but the iPad seems to get stuck while going to sites or going to the 2wire mdc summary page)

btbrossard
Premium Member
join:2004-11-10
Burlington, WI

1 recommendation

btbrossard to SparkDawg

Premium Member

to SparkDawg
When was the last time you replaced your gateway? Is it still under warranty?

Also, could it be interference from another piece of electronic equipment or a neighboring wifi network? You may want to change your gateways wifi channel for troubleshooting.

SparkDawg
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

1 edit

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Its been a little bit over 2 years since i've replaced this gateway (It's out of warranty, surprise surprise. these 2wires feel like they include planned obsoletence, don't they? )

Yes, i've changed the channel on the router yesterday a few times and power level, just a little bit.. but it disconnected me from wifi while on the iPad when i changed the wireless settings.

Btw this is the nearly the exact same issue I had 2~ years ago when AT&T replaced my router for free when I complained to them hard enough. I can tolerate the random complete gateway resets, but this is asinine IMO.

If they replace my gateway or anything like that, i'll be sure to post in this thread for sure

Thanks for the help.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead to SparkDawg

Premium Member

to SparkDawg

Re: Gateway Issues? (Formerly Problems this evening?)

You seem to be replacing the device often enough. I wonder, are you using surge protection on the device as well as in line protection on the incoming and other wired interfaces?

SparkDawg
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Yep, I have a surge protector on my gateway and any device that physically connects to it (e.g. Xbox 360).

Maybe I misremembered, but a long while ago there was something on this board saying that were was some flaws in the 2wire 2701hg-b including and up to the power supplies themselves.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead to SparkDawg

Premium Member

to SparkDawg
Is it a surge bar or UPS?

SparkDawg
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

1 edit

SparkDawg

Premium Member

It's a typical surge strip. (Though i've changed it about 3 times since I've had dsl, i don't trust old surge strips)

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead to SparkDawg

Premium Member

to SparkDawg
Try running some of the diagnostics in your router and see if your loop is acting funny. If your connection is ok, turn everything off except for the router and your wireless device and see if it improves. TV, Xbox, fluorescent lighting, DC lighting etc. everything powered off. As btbrossard mentioned it could be interference.

Have you dropped the ipad? I have seen one ipad that has had problems with the wireless, except when it was held up flat like a panel monitor. I have no explanation for why it behaved like that until the person told me they had dropped it. I suspect that anything was possible with it at that point.

SparkDawg
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

1 edit

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Hmm, i'll run the diagnostics again and see whats up. Line stats are fine, but will check it again. No uncancelled echos or anything funny like that. The unit actually worked pretty well till Thursday.

Last few times I've had the gateway it was in a different room away from pretty much anything and it everything was a wired connection. This is the first time I've had it in the front room.

I'll also give AT&T a ringy ding ding Monday morning if pushes come to shove. I hate being on them phone with them

(I've treated my iPad like a baby so no, that isn't the problem there )

btbrossard
Premium Member
join:2004-11-10
Burlington, WI

btbrossard to SparkDawg

Premium Member

to SparkDawg
said by SparkDawg:

Maybe I misremembered, but a long while ago there was something on this board saying that were was some flaws in the 2wire 2701hg-b including and up to the power supplies themselves.

I had three different 2wire gateways (all model 2701hg-b) and when they failed, it was that they lost their DSL sync.

I never had any problems with wireless, even after the DSL would stop working properly.

SparkDawg
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

SparkDawg

Premium Member

Hmm i see. I've changed the frequency from to 10 to 8 and it's working a bit better. I hope time tells

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

If you changed the channel and it's working better it leads me to believe your having an interference problem. Perhaps a neighbor, or yourself, has a phone or other device broadcasting on the same frequency. The further you are away from that frequency the better your iPad will 'hear' your router.

Generally speaking any 2 channels separated by 5 or more do not overlap.