join:2011-09-24
Markham, ON

1 edit

BCT

Diagnostic for slow connection?

Click for full size
Line Test
Hey guys,

So I'm having this issue of a kind of unstable internet connection. I am using Acanac/Distributel's High Speed Cable internet connection in Ontario. 30/1mbps I assume, and I'm using a Docsis 3.0 modem. My router is an Asus W520GU and running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) mini-usb - build 12533 firmware. I am no computer network geek but somehow was able to flash this router to run DD-WRT.

So the issue right now is slow internet connection, but it is spotty. Speedtest and Pingtest doesn't reveal anything out of the ordinary, however it is evidently slow on video streaming (ie. Youtube) and Online Gaming. It has been frustrating because of the bad latency, I had to give up playing first/3rd person shooter games as it completely messes up my timing. Right now, I just did some pingtest and all looked ok, but previously I had packet losses to google.com! I'm not really sure what the issue is here, I tried to run some tests provided by DSL Reports but the Line Quality test doesn't work for me as it says that I'm not pingable?? I previously had Rogers Express then upgraded to Extreme (which actually got worse as latency and speed dropped off) and now Acanac.

Also there were several instances where the Wi-Fi doesn't work at all? Router is quite new, less than 5 years for sure.

I get a feeling that I might have to blow up our home network because it was never really configured properly, just PnP. Router has a switch attached to it for extra connectors.

Any advice or additional tests I should do? This is becoming quite frustrating when Youtube is lagging, when it should be the fastest video streaming site.

Please see above for line test I just did with Ookla.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Regards

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Wired or wireless connection? Have you tried wired? Have you tried connecting directly to the modem, no router? Also, make sure you do it outside of Acanac's throttling hours. Your best bet is after midnight as you won't have to face local noise congestion issues.
BCT
Markham, ON

BCT

All my connections are wired. Wireless works but sometimes, for whatever reason, fails to connect but wired connections still runs fine. The congestion issue is really frustrating. Hwy7 and Warden has been stuffing people in like crazy for the past couple of years and more to come. I will try connecting directly to modem to see if its any better.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by BCT:

All my connections are wired. Wireless works but sometimes, for whatever reason, fails to connect but wired connections still runs fine. The congestion issue is really frustrating. Hwy7 and Warden has been stuffing people in like crazy for the past couple of years and more to come. I will try connecting directly to modem to see if its any better.

That area? You might be experiencing local node congestion on top of everything. You'll know once you go direct through modem. You can also post your modem stats so we can have a better idea of the signal quality.
BCT
Markham, ON

1 edit

BCT

Click for full size
Here it is. I am using a Thomson DCM475 modem and this is through my router.

Thanks
BCT

BCT to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
del
BCT

BCT

Modem stats posted. Thanks
eviljafar
join:2007-04-10
Montreal, QC

eviljafar to BCT

to BCT
Try without the switch connected, I have seen switches kill a LAN.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Stats are looking good. Try running speed tests connecting straight through the modem, no routers involved, in the off-hours. That's the best way to diagnose speed issues. That means after 1am or before 6am. No routers. Just computer-modem. Try a couple of computers, preferably at least one that doesn't run Winblows.. Either Linux or Mac (to minimize the possibility of malware issues).

STRAIGHT THROUGH THE MODEM!!!

NO ROUTER!!!