Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

[Optimum Voice] Blocked numbers getting through

Lately I've noticed with the scammers who have been posing as JCP&L and PSE&G in NJ trying to call here and blocked said numbers...they're getting around those blocks by just adding a 1 to the caller ID number and thus show up as private. It bypasses the anonymous calls filter yet shows up as private with the phone number. I'm not sure if this is Wilt's area or who I can speak to at Cablevision about this or if it's just useless to try.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Re: [Optimum Voice] Blocked Numbers getting through

From what I understand on how it works:

Anonymous call blocker will only block calls that are listed as "ANONYMOUS"/"PRIVATE" due to the caller indicating the information is not to be shown. If the CID value is spoofed and displayed as "PRIVATE CALLER" for name, it will still go through, since it didn't include the "anonymous" flag. CID number can also be set to a variety of numbers (hence why you can see an 800 number as CID in a legit usage of that: the call-back/display number is the easy to remember one & not the specific line).

If the information is not read correctly, displaying "UNKNOWN" & no number, that is not considered anonymous, since it doesn't contain the anonymous signal.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
What they should do is maintain a white list vs black list.
Customers could create list of numbers that are allowed to come through and the rest go to voice mail.

The way it is now it is impossible to stop scammers, telemarketers, and political bs calls!

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
As mentioned in the Yahoo TV group, you can simulate a white list by assigning a special ring to anyone you want White Listed.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
I dont want to hear any ring, just for calls to go straight to voice mail

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Lately I've noticed with the scammers who have been posing as JCP&L and PSE&G in NJ trying to call here and blocked said numbers...they're getting around those blocks by just adding a 1 to the caller ID number and thus show up as private. It bypasses the anonymous calls filter yet shows up as private with the phone number. I'm not sure if this is Wilt's area or who I can speak to at Cablevision about this or if it's just useless to try.

You cannot add a 1 to the number in the OV Portal however if you call tech support (yes regular tech support...no need to go batshit crazy and ask for supervisors and dolans cell phone) and tell them they will escalate and have it manually entered.

Edit: the calls will not go to voicemail...they will hear a automated recording.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Why don't they just add that ability to add 1 in the portal?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to frdrizzt
If that's the case, then unknown should be flagged as anonymous since those scum are exposing a loophole in the caller ID system (of course on top of obvious spoofing) that should be closed.

root

said by kickass69:

Because it's not that simple...regardless of how simple it may seem to you.

said by kickass69:

If that's the case, then unknown should be flagged as anonymous since those scum are exposing a loophole in the caller ID system (of course on top of obvious spoofing) that should be closed.

Carrier to carrier hand off of CallerID has a lot of variables that can cause caller ID to show up unknown. The world isn't perfect and there are bigger fish to fry than the occasional telemarketer.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by root:

said by kickass69:

said by kickass69:

Carrier to carrier hand off of CallerID has a lot of variables that can cause caller ID to show up unknown. The world isn't perfect and there are bigger fish to fry than the occasional telemarketer.

No bigger fish, in my mind, when talking about voice service than the "occasional telemarketer/con artists"!

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to root
You would think CallerID having been around long enough should have uniform standards much less ways to track down those who sell and use spoofers.

I agree with dm145, being able to block scammers should be part of the big fish pool of issues with voice service. If Optimum can't handle proving phone service and being the most proactive against giving their customers the tools to filter out this illegal garbage then people will end up getting illegal devices of their own to deal with this or just cancel OV altogether and either go back to Verizon or just use a mobile phone.

Nothing occasional about scammers, especially after the Do Not Call list made it's debut...the exact thing this is supposed to prevent. Each week I get about 4-5 different scammers on average that in the end I ultimately can't block because of the issues above. I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now and I don't just give my number out for everything under the sun.

root

reply to kickass69
said by dm145:

said by root:

said by kickass69:

said by kickass69:

No bigger fish, in my mind, when talking about voice service than the "occasional telemarketer/con artists"!

I suppose if you're not in the telecom industry that your biggest issue would be this.

said by kickass69:

You would think CallerID having been around long enough should have uniform standards much less ways to track down those who sell and use spoofers.

I agree with dm145, being able to block scammers should be part of the big fish pool of issues with voice service. If Optimum can't handle proving phone service and being the most proactive against giving their customers the tools to filter out this illegal garbage then people will end up getting illegal devices of their own to deal with this or just cancel OV altogether and either go back to Verizon or just use a mobile phone.

Nothing occasional about scammers, especially after the Do Not Call list made it's debut...the exact thing this is supposed to prevent. Each week I get about 4-5 different scammers on average that in the end I ultimately can't block because of the issues above. I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now and I don't just give my number out for everything under the sun.

All carriers actively work to stop these scammers when they can. But you have to understand they cannot just refuse these calls at the switch to complete over their network. What they can do is if the offending scammer is a customer on their network then they can do the obvious and no longer offer service to them.

Spoofing becomes an issue when the telemarketers/scammers no longer dial out using a traditional POTS line where caller ID is set by the switch and instead use a SIP service where the caller ID is set by the customers PBX and the carrier is simply providing the trunking.

Trust me when these issues are reported to the originating carrier they are addressed...as long as the originating carrier is a fairly reputable company.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to root
said by root:

said by kickass69:

You cannot add a 1 to the number in the OV Portal however if you call tech support (yes regular tech support...no need to go batshit crazy and ask for supervisors and dolans cell phone) and tell them they will escalate and have it manually entered.

Edit: the calls will not go to voicemail...they will hear a automated recording.

I've called to do as you said...3 different techs with all 3 calls escalated said it's not possible to add a 1 before any blocked number on my list as it comes up invalid for them plus none of them said they ever had that ability in the past either. They instead offered to have to change my phone number for free that I've had for 30+ years. You can see why I despise calling tech support for anything outside of things I know they actually can fix.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
said by kickass69:

said by root:

said by kickass69:

I've called to do as you said...3 different techs with all 3 calls escalated said it's not possible to add a 1 before any blocked number on my list as it comes up invalid for them plus none of them said they ever had that ability in the past either. They instead offered to have to change my phone number for free that I've had for 30+ years. You can see why I despise calling tech support for anything outside of things I know they actually can fix.

tried the direct forum?

root

reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

said by root:

said by kickass69:

It can be done. Sorry tech support told you otherwise. Post in the direct forum as cabletechc said.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

Anonymous call blocker will only block calls that are listed as "ANONYMOUS"/"PRIVATE" due to the caller indicating the information is not to be shown. If the CID value is spoofed and displayed as "PRIVATE CALLER" for name, it will still go through, since it didn't include the "anonymous" flag. CID number can also be set to a variety of numbers (hence why you can see an 800 number as CID in a legit usage of that: the call-back/display number is the easy to remember one & not the specific line).

If the information is not read correctly, displaying "UNKNOWN" & no number, that is not considered anonymous, since it doesn't contain the anonymous signal.

since a simple CID chip can determine private and unknown, which is exactly the same as "ANONYMOUS"/"PRIVATE" and "PRIVATE CALLER" it wouldn't be hard to block those calls at all, it just needs to be set up at cablevision.

root

said by iknow:

said by frdrizzt:

since a simple CID chip can determine private and unknown, which is exactly the same as "ANONYMOUS"/"PRIVATE" and "PRIVATE CALLER" it wouldn't be hard to block those calls at all, it just needs to be set up at cablevision.

You are so naive.