spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

1 edit

ViaSat... Flying High, Exede'ingly So...

September 12, 2012
Exede in-flight Internet service from ViaSat Inc. (Nasdaq:VSAT) is designed to eclipse the service quality and speeds of other in-cabin airline broadband services. The more favorable economics of the ViaSat system enable airlines to specify a high-speed service level to each passenger, rather than simply an aggregate amount of bandwidth to the plane that leaves passengers competing for service. The system is capable of delivering 12Mbps or more to each connected passenger.

»www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cg···24852899

Also: »www.viasat.com/broadband-network···airlines

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

I wonder what happens if a plane flys out of viasat-1 coverage? Doesn't sound like WB-1 is part of this.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

Yes WB-1/AF-2 will be used to provide service outside the VS-1 coverage area.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by viasatguy:

Yes WB-1/AF-2 will be used to provide service outside the VS-1 coverage area.

Wow. Then this will definitely be something to watch for.

GoGo currently offers what, a single EVDO Rev A connection for the entire plane? Their plan is to begin offering 2 modems and possibly use Rev B. It won't make much of a difference. I have never used gogo, but I hear it is pretty much useless.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

There is only so much you can do with 3 MHz. And the 3 MHz is shared with other aircraft on the same tower, or at least on the same sector of the tower, so congestion due to other aircraft along the route further reduces performance.