join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Brano

Re: USG 20 or 50 the right choice?

said by Brano:

You have to install Adobe Reader to read it

UGH! We don't do Adobe Acrobat... using Foxit here. Ridiculous that they make you use a specific reader like that. Guess I'll have to call them and see what else will work to read it.

Was able to open all the earlier versions, but 3.x will not open. Our Foxit is very old however, perhaps if we upgraded that?

Heck, we'll give 'em a call to see if there are workarounds for this.
Can't imagine getting these if we can't even read the manuals

Thanks again Brano!

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
We've been through this before here »USG 3.0 User Guide

Two options:
1) Ask Foxit developers to update the PDF handling libraries to handle encrypted document properly.
2) Ask Zyxel not to encrypt the manuals

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to KahunaNui
Foxit are ALWAYS behind the ball -- and IMO a complete waste of time.

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Brano
said by Brano:

We've been through this before here »USG 3.0 User Guide

Two options:
1) Ask Foxit developers to update the PDF handling libraries to handle encrypted document properly.
2) Ask Zyxel not to encrypt the manuals

Was on with Zyxel and it APPEARS that the newest or latest Foxit will open it and allow you to play vids - but that was from their own perspective, as we have not verified that yet.

Also, how could they be password protected because if that was the case, how was their Rep able to open it in the newer (est?) Foxit reader without a PW? A PW protected pdf in our experience will not open without the pw (unless hacked of course).

Even their Rep didn't know what's going with all this. I appreciate that he's going to check into it further and get back to us. I'll post an update here or on the more relative thread with what he finds out.

I'm also concerned that these [embedded] videos are not in some kind of universal format. Kirby was right in that other thread. They should simply post the vids on the web if that's the case. But Brano, you are MORE correct that they should not be doing whatever it is that is causing this problem. I did note from the Zyxel Rep that in order for the new Foxit reader to play the vids, he had to disable Safe Reading Mode. I'll have to look into all that.

This is the very first time we've not been able to open a pdf using this version of foxit. We come across a ton of complex pdf's and never had a single problem with any of them.

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
My guess with Acrobat is that document originators wanted a way to lock documents so that full power Acrobat couldn't be used to modify them. This requires a password so that the originators have access. The more recent Acrobat readers have a way to open such documents in read-only mode, probably without any way to copy parts.

I had to add Acrobat reader to my Ubuntu operated desktop to read the manual. It is good to learn that Foxit may be able to read it now. Acrobat has had some security problems over the years, I'm led to believe, and while for the most part these may not be Linux threats, there is no use trolling for pwning.

kirby

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
I confused Foxit with something else. I don't think it is available for Linux.

Right now I'm experimentally attempting to convert the file using LibreOffice Writer. It has been running CPU4 at 100% for a while now, so the practicality of this, even if successful, seems dubious.

kirby

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
These files are not password protected, they're just encrypted and can be opened with Acrobat 9 and later as per screenshots here »Re: USG 3.0 User Guide

...every document format is evolving, 3rd party readers need to keep up the pace or they become useless