how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drumz0rz

join:2012-09-14
East Northport, NY

All Large (~3GB+) Files Download Corrupt

This one really goes beyond my years of network experience. Whenever I try to download a file that is very large, the end result is corrupt 100% of the time, on any hardware, in any OS in any browser. This is what I've done so far.

1. I've Isolated the browser by testing in IE9, FF13-15, Safari and Chrome.
2. I've Isolated the Operating System by testing in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Home Server, and OSX (See next point)
3. I've Isolated the Computer by testing my regular box, an iMac, a Dell PC and a Windows Server
4. I've Isolated the Apple Router (used for Wireless Broadcasting) by connecting directly to the Verizon provided router/modem
5. I've Isolated my network Switch by connecting directly to the Verizon provided router/modem
6. I've preformed a full factory reset on the Verizon router/modem and have had a Verizon Tech Support Agent do the same
7. I've Isolated the source server, by effectively reproducing the problem 100% of the time from two very reliable sources (Microsoft and Electronic Arts). I've also tested the downloads from other networks (including a friend who has the same FiOS service) and cannot reproduce the problem

The last Tech I spoke to was clueless, told me to check forums, and that he didn't know anywhere to point me. I find this to be unacceptable, so I'm going to keep calling back. He claims (and I fully believe him) that they, as an ISP simply act as an open, unfiltered gateway, and shouldn't effect the data in any way. My suspicion is that the router/modem is the source of the problem, however, I cannot try to isolate this, as I have nothing to replace it with (without their help).

I called a second time. The Tech basically told me that as long as I can connect to Google, or send out of 4 pings and get 4 responses, then that's all that matters. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and he told me the same thing. They kept trying to tell me I had to talk to my manufacturer, even though I told them I've tried numerous computers with different OSes, Browsers, etc. They refuse to send a tech out or send me a replacement. When I asked the supervisor how I was supposed to test if the router was the cause or not, he basically told me to talk to billing (which I did) who then told me to buy a new router on my own would cost $80!

The router is an ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E connected via Coax to the ONT and directly connected to my PCs via Cat5e Ethernet cable.

Is the Router simply defective? Is there any way I can easily test this? Would it be wise to switch to cat5 from the ONT then trying my own router? Someone suggested that the connection could be timing out and causing this, anyone heard of this before?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara

This might be a really dumb question, but you are using a file system that supports file sizes larger than 4GB? Given that none of your OS testing worked, I'm guessing the file system is an unlikely culprit, but it's all i could think of.

drumz0rz

East Northport, NY

There are no dumb ideas! Yes, they all support large files. I can download huge files over things like bit torrent no problem (because the files come in small, verified pieces). It's only large, single files that break.

I don't think it's any sort of time out on Verizon's end because I can sometimes download these huge files faster than smaller files (ex. a 3GB file from Microsoft at 42Mbps vs a 150MB file from some random website at 500Kbps) and even though the connection is open just as long or longer for the small file, it arrives intact.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to drumz0rz

Are you using the same AV on all the computers? Have you tried turning it off?

On #7, were you using your computer on his network or his PC and network?

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA
reply to drumz0rz

Very strange problem.

Have you tried new coax cable from the ONT to the Actiontec?
Have you tried new Cat5e (or Cat6) from the Actiontec to the PC?
Have you tried the different ethernet ports on the Actiontec?
When you say corrupted.. Does that mean they all stop at the same approximate file size, or they show the full file size but just aren't usable?

Moving to cat5/6 instead of coax for data from the ONT is a good idea just from a troubleshooting perspective.

Good luck, and I do want to hear about the solution when it happens.

-Craig

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to drumz0rz

Somebody else had similar issues and it turned out a new Actiontec was the only thing that fixed it:

»[Northeast] Problems since upgrading speed

drumz0rz

East Northport, NY
reply to ctaranto

Different OSes mean different AVs. I've also tried putting a computer in the DMZ and that didn't help.

I have not tried a new Coax from the ONT to the Actiontec. It's a very long run across floors, and I want to think of that as a last resort.

I have tried different cat5 cables, and different ports.

The files all download 100%, however, when I do an MD5 or SHA-1 checksum, the value returned doesn't match the expected value published by the content host. Downloading on other networks (including using my Android phone over 4G LTE) return the correct checksum. The corrupt downloads are broken files that will not execute properly (for example, and Windows ISO file will run, but fail say, 30% into install).

I'm actually going out of town for a few days, but when I get back I'm going to try switching from Coax to Ethernet (should also eliminate the need to try a different coax line) as well as keep bothering Verizon Techs to try and get a replacement ActionTec.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

This might be a really dumb question, but you are using a file system that supports file sizes larger than 4GB? Given that none of your OS testing worked, I'm guessing the file system is an unlikely culprit, but it's all i could think of.

YES ALL file systems now days support file sizes upto 17 billion gigabytes (Exfat) in size

So unless he is running windows 98se he is fine

--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Iii

@optonline.net
reply to drumz0rz

Not running out of any memory on pc?

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

drop by a vz store and pick one up on the way home.
»www22.verizon.com/home/storelocator/

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

said by Raphion:

YES ALL file systems now days support file sizes upto 17 billion gigabytes (Exfat) in size

Not so, I have seen XP systems running FAT32 (4GB max file size) Also, removable storage such as USB thumb drives and SD cards are nearly always FAT32.

wssddc

join:2001-08-21
Bedford, MA
reply to drumz0rz

It's hard to imagine a failure mode that would only impact large files. But a failure that doesn't happen very often would be more likely to hit large files. Have any smaller downloads also been corrupt?

It might be interesting to do a binary comparison of good and bad versions of one of these files. Also, a comparison of two bad downloads of the same file would tell you if the same error happened on each download.

You mentioned a friend with FIOS service. Could you borrow his router for testing?

If there's bad memory in the router, I would expect it to cause checksum errors. Packet sniffing might detect excessive retransmissions. The checksum is only 16 bits, so corruption that preserves the checksum is possible.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

said by Anonymous_:

said by Raphion:

Not so, I have seen XP systems running FAT32 (4GB max file size) Also, removable storage such as USB thumb drives and SD cards are nearly always FAT32.

yes the op is not using fat32 on his hard drive there for the file system is not the issue
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

jaw

@verizon.net
reply to drumz0rz

Years ago I had the same problem, traced it down to bad stick of memory. simple to test with memtest. »www.memtest.org/

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by jaw :

simple to test with memtest.

The OP has already ruled out his computers.

The only common element that remains is the router and memtest won't help that.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to drumz0rz

Is your data connection on MOCA (coax) or Ethernet (cat5) from the ONT?
If on MOCA get it swapped to the Ethernet.
Then Connect your PC Directly to the ONT and run the test.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

+1

mnl1121

join:2008-01-03
Clifton, NJ
reply to drumz0rz

I'd put my bet on the Actiontec router. Either borrow your friends router, or to lessen their inconvenience bring your router over to them and try it out. That should give you your answer.

said by wssddc:

It's hard to imagine a failure mode that would only impact large files. But a failure that doesn't happen very often would be more likely to hit large files.

Yup that's what I'm thinking too.

EDIT: I'm surprised tech support wasn't more helpful. Whenever I have a problem and suggest the router could be it, even when i'm not sure, they send out another one right away, free of charge. Maybe consider filing a complaint.

ithappens

@verizon.net
reply to drumz0rz

happens to me all the time, real pain.

have to constantly redownload large files, real problem for games

and yes the problem appears to be verizon, and yes it's likely the router.

good luck getting them to give you a new one.

i called them and they wanted me to buy a new one, not even a discount!

saying their diagnostics came up ok

sure its ok, if all you do is send little files, but wait till you have to its several gbs, then it surely fails!

if you can't get router, try rebooting the old one from time to time, appears to make the problem at least in one's mind disappear, albeit temporarily.

Zores

join:2002-02-24
New Milford, NJ
reply to drumz0rz

Quite a peculiar problem since this only happens on 3GB+ files. It's almost like the router is getting tired of cutting up the data in the correct order and because it's tired just starts randomly cutting stuff up to be repackaged.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to drumz0rz

You said your friend's FiOS connection did not reproduce problem. Is he on coax or cat5? And what version of Actiontec does he have?

Since you indicate the download completes instead of stalling or timing out, do you have a byte count or file size you know is accurate? »askville.amazon.com/Downloading-···d=625358 suggests saving to the C: drive instead of a secondary drive, and suggests an ISP cache may be at fault and recommends a different port than 80. There is a download manager recommended by one person there. I have no idea how effective it might be over built in systems.

Otherwise, switching to cat5 and running wired directly to the ONT sounds like it would eliminate MoCA connection and Actiontec as the problem source.

To get a replacement router, exchange it at your local FiOS store. You might want to call first. I was in my local store where they said they didn't have any problems exchanging routers. However, they only had Rev.E on hand. If you call tech support and say your router isn't working (just don't tell them it's because you unplugged the power cord), they will send another one. Some people might say that's cheating the system, but I say if you have really eliminated all possibilities other than the router, then sometimes you have to tell the chat bots what they need to hear.

drumz0rz

East Northport, NY

I was at my friend's house the other night. He has a Rev. F router (lucky him) and it is connected via coax. I'm going to try and get a replacement from Verizon before trying to switch to Ethernet. My ONT and my Router are fully across the house and a floor apart, and I'd rather not have to run ~70ft of cat5 through walls if I can avoid it.

drumz0rz

East Northport, NY
reply to drumz0rz

Just an update for anyone who might come here with a similar issue. I managed to talk to a very nice Verizon tech the other night, with an unrelated issue, and I mentioned this problem. He didn't hesitate to issue me a replacement router. Amazing considering the impasse I reached before.

I got the router in the mail 2 days later, and it was a Rev. I, looked like a refirb, but who cares. Swapped it out and the problem is gone. I'm very happy.

PieceOfShoe

@verizon.net

I came here a few days ago with the same problem. Large file downloads (basically MSDN subscriber ISO downloads and OSX Mountain Lion installs) were consistently failing hash validation. All this began when I had my fios upgraded to 75/35 from 35/20ish.

I had a MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E router. Called up support and told the lady what I discovered here. It took a little convincing but she did send me a new router. She said she could only send me either a Rev. F or Rev. G. I figured anything newer had the chance to help.

The router arrived yesterday and is a Rev.I. After I got it plugged in I downloaded over a dozen 2+ GB ISO downloads. All of them succeeded. With the previous router none of them would typically succeed.

I'm not sure what the router window is but hopefully my details will help us narrow it down.

Thank you for all the help!

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to drumz0rz

Isn't there a CRC32 value on each packet? If the local protocol stack detects a CRC error, would it keep requesting retransmits until the value matched? (that's one of the nifty things that TCP should do for you) There [shouldn't be] any corrupt packets that get past this mechanism.

ifeelyourpai

@verizon.net

I have the same problem with large downloads and yes I suspect it's the router, too bad for me that I've not convinced Verizon to issue me a new one

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Try the vz direct forum. Or the vz Facebook support page.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
reply to drumz0rz

That's weird I've never ever had a corrupt file that wasnt corrupt at the source and I download TBs a year.

Connection shouldn't effect it, you should be able to pull the connection during a download and connect it again and download should still not get corrupt, this is the whole purpose of TCP being used for data rather than UDP, no amount of dropped packets should cause a download to become corrupt, sounds like something software related.

--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com