All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dcb73
join:2012-09-13

dcb73 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan

Re: WOW_Dan: Ultra and a second modem

I was looking at it more of, is it even possible, hence asking the tech guy.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

I will give them a shout today.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by dcb73:

I was looking at it more of, is it even possible, hence asking the tech guy.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

I will give them a shout today.

Tech wise yes splitting would do the trick.. as long as the signal levels are there...

However, policy wise likely not as the Ultra gateway needs internet active on it to fully function which means they can't assign your data provisioning on your account to a separate modem instead of the WOW gateway....and since your only paying for one internet account.. you see the issue at hand.

You would have to pay for two occurrences of internet in theory (if they allow) to have both devices active to do what you want [I think].

However I could be wrong [I don't work for wow].
dcb73

dcb73

Thanks for all the replies guys, and you Dan.

As it turns out, after a few beers last night, I had an epiphany.
I started thinking, maybe the traffic isn't allowed to go out and come back in due to the way it is routed. And sure enough, voila. Tested off my work wireless and bam, right in. The port forwarding seems to be working well, and pushing the DNS server for my SSH/Dyn device ti public internet has made all the difference.

So, anyone wanna buy a Linksys E3200 cheap?
sparkydm
join:2012-05-10

sparkydm

dcb73; OK, apparently you were using an E3200 to provide a stronger wireless signal. I'm using an E4200. Now, you're able to get a stronger signal without the extra router. Can you explain what you did in a simpler fashion? You sort of lost and I'm not even sure I have what you accomplished right.
dcb73

dcb73

Sparky, it wasn't so much about a stronger wireless signal, just total functionality.

The Arris box actually has better wireless levels than either of the Linksys APs I now have set up. I will be tinkering with those more as I just upgraded the versions of DD-WRT on both.

When I had Comcast, I used the stock E3200 as my main wireless router for the downstairs of my home, as well as my DynDNS updater. I then had port forwarding turned on to point any traffic coming in on a specific port for SSH to another Linksys device running DD-WRT which is my SSHD server. I also have another Linksys AP for the upstairs of my home as well.

Then I had some UPnP set up with port forwarding for 80, 443, and 4125 to point that traffic to my Windows Home Server.

So, after realizing outgoing traffic from my home will not come back in, my issues were resolved because it was really working the entire time.

But, if you have read other posts, do make sure you turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys device, as well as make your network flat. It will be much easier to support and troubleshoot.