dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« iPhone 5S
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to Robert

Anon

to Robert

Re: To keep size down?

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA. iPhone 5 has 2 antennas but a single chip design so the chip can't run 2 parts of itself at the sametime. Better for battery life but this is one of the limitations as a result.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.

AnonFTW
@northstate.net

AnonFTW

Anon

said by swintec:

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Your phone is capable of it, but none of the US CDMA networks support it. See this official answer from Sprint: »community.sprint.com/baw ··· ad/85183
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

The newer Sprint Android phones can do voice/data at same time even on 3G.

Apple is more interested in form (thinnest phone) over function.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I wonder how many people use that function. On AT&T I can Internetz and phone at the same time and over the last 5 years have never done it.

I personally would rather have a thinner lighter phone.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits

Selenia

Premium Member

I am constantly doing it. I almost always use a headset and find myself chatting with people about what I'm reading. Really helps if you run out of topics and the other person wants to keep talking Oh and I'm one of those weird Android users, so this would not affect me. But then it still wouldn't. I am one of those really odd AT&T users, but that's because they give good service in my region. But a third thing is I often use SIP over a tunnel as a VOIP provider. Works well on wifi and hspa+, but would also use lte for voice where it's available. Like it better than the cell line and AT&T has officially allowed voip for awhile. They just try and silently interfere with it, which I have low resource ways of doing something about.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I wonder how many people use that function. On AT&T I can Internetz and phone at the same time and over the last 5 years have never done it.

I personally would rather have a thinner lighter phone.

Half the time you don't realize that it's happening. Back when I had OG Droid I didn't think it would matter, until I was driving somehwere using phone's navigation and while I was on the phone I actually managed to get to a point in my route where the phone needed more data from google to update directions. It wouldn't update until I got off the phone. It was like being in the modem days of, "I'll call you back, my navigation needs to use the phone"

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Cars' got navi. I guess I could conceive of situations where I "could" do it, planets aligned, tides high, cats-dogs living together, but those situations just haven't come up in the last five years.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to AnonFTW

Premium Member

to AnonFTW
said by AnonFTW :

Your phone is capable of it, but none of the US CDMA networks support it. See this official answer from Sprint: »community.sprint.com/baw ··· ad/85183

My phone is capable of it and it DOES do it. It even works on my EVDO Femtocell provided by Sprint. Also works when connected to the Sprint native network.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by SHoTTa35 :

My SGS3 on sprint has two radios, so it can do voice and data at the same time.
AVD

AVD to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by AnonFTW :

My phone is capable of it and it DOES do it. It even works on my EVDO Femtocell provided by Sprint. Also works when connected to the Sprint native network.

How about tethering and talking to someone at the same time? my SGS3 can do it.
« iPhone 5S
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?