Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

4 recommendations

iPhone 5S

Stay tuned for the all new revolutionary iPhone 5S, new features include simultaneous data on Verizon and Sprint, Facetime over LTE on AT&T and a collectible leatherbound edition of the Apple v Samsung lawsuit.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
Pretty sure they don't include this stuff, to later "release it" and act as if they accomplished something phenomenal.

A great example would be MMS...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by LightS:

I'm pretty sure it's just basic stupidity to exclude functionality that is common of other phones of the same generation.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
I'm so glad that other people agree with me. Everywhere else I post, it's full of rabid apple sheep.

Granted, I like their products, but some of the stuff they do... is just ridiculous... I like them, but I don't see myself ever owning an iphone. I am getting an iphone 5 in a month or two as a work phone, so we'll see..

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
reply to LightS
I always thought the lack of MMS was due to AT&T's network not being prepared to handle the load.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
The iPhone that was released at that time didn't even have 3G. It only had edge connectivity, if you recall. It wasn't until the second iPhone, one that actually used data, that their network really started having major issues - shortly remedied by widespread 3G deployment. Now that data usage is increasing again, 3G will soon be obsolete and then 4G will be required.. and it goes on and on.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Yea, IMO, many of these "data" dependent features were left out due to pressure from AT&T.

IMO, I still feel that the iPhone 4S lacked LTE because of AT&T's LTE coverage was very poor.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to LightS
said by LightS:

Pretty sure they don't include this stuff, to later "release it" and act as if they accomplished something phenomenal.

You forgot the sleaziest part - Apple made MMS an exclusive to the (at the time) new iPhone 3G. Apple then intentionally excluded this feature for original iPhone users in firmware updates.

Apple's doing this same trick with Mountain Lion and their original Mac Pro desktops. The original Mac Pros are perfectly capable of running the new OS, they simply don't want them to have it - to encourage them to buy new hardware.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
reply to LightS
said by LightS:

The iPhone that was released at that time didn't even have 3G. It only had edge connectivity, if you recall. It wasn't until the second iPhone, one that actually used data, that their network really started having major issues - shortly remedied by widespread 3G deployment. Now that data usage is increasing again, 3G will soon be obsolete and then 4G will be required.. and it goes on and on.

The difference between then and now was that the original iPhone was still head and shoulders above all other phones at the time, even despite the glaring features it lacked like 3G, MMS, copy and paste etc(I never realized how essential copy and paste is to computing until I got an original iPod Touch XD).

But an iPhone lacking group-standard features now is just stupid, because there are so many equal or better competing phones and OSes.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
The sad thing is, people will still buy them. Whether it's because they're used to the OS, they already have a ton of purchases on iTunes, or they're just retarded & follow the sheep mentality...

But eh, agreed esp. on the last part. No reason for them to not have simultaneous voice & data with Verizon/Sprint. I bet in the future that somehow a 'new technology' will emerge & it will be revolutionary. Guessing it now, that it will be a "feature" of a future iphone.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to djrobx
The victory by numbers of android over iPhone is entirely due to the numbers of models made and offered free and the availability on every network. Any network who didn't offer an android they can load with their own proprietary software would be a fool. The iPhone is still the Porche of the market. Everyone wants one or wants to at least imitate one.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Actually it seems like the other way around.

LTE? Catch up to Android.
Low light camera enhancements? Catch up to Android and Nokia.
Increase screen size? Catch up to Android.
Increase SOC to ~1.6 ghz? Catch up to Android.

Those are the headline features of the iPhone 5(except for the cable, oh my gosh the cable!). Who is imitating who?

vp71inet

join:2005-05-12
Englishtown, NJ
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by LightS:

I'm pretty sure it's just basic stupidity to exclude functionality that is common of other phones of the same generation.

Look man, the isheep lets them get away with it. Remember Apple is king of the roost for people who do not care what a byte means, or the difference between retina and amoled display, or the benefit of either, etc. The only way to solve this is through continued education of the populace so they can make more objective decisions. Until then ... be prepared for more Apple.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to DrModem
"LTE? Catch up to Android." -- Which until recently had VERY limited deployment (LTE came to my town only months ago and the Piedmont Triad is one of the higher population metropolitan statistical areas in the US!) AND was accomplished at the expense of increased device size and poor battery life by requiring separate LTE and 3G/CDMA radios. All of my friends who have Android LTE phones keep the LTE turned off so they can make it through a day without having to carry a charger around. Sounds super useful to me.

"Low light camera enhancements? Catch up to Android and Nokia." -- the iPhone 4S had a better camera than any droid I saw when it was released, this is the natural cycle.

"Increase screen size? Catch up to Android." -- Hardly! I've held an S3 and my brother has a motorola with a 4.x inch screen. They're too bulky to put in your pocket comfortably. The iPhone 5's screen is a good compromise between the larger (but obnoxiously large to carry) Android screens as well as developers not having to rewrite their UIs.

"Increase SOC to ~1.6 ghz? Catch up to Android." -- The iPhone 4S was, again, blazing fast and this just is the natural cycle of each iteration leap-frogging the last. The A6 is also the first mass production ARM A15 processor.

And Android is still imitating iOS and the phones are all trying to replicate the look and feel of the iPhone as much as possible. So get over it.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
This is the first iPhone release that is woefully underwhelming. Advertising a slightly larger screen and LTE availability is news from 2010 and 2011 in the android world. Leaving off NFC is also such an odd decision that it's difficult to understand their motivation for doing so. The biggest improvement is the new connector that solves the age old problem of plugging in and being wrong 50% of the time.

Apple is usually a clear innovator, but this model iPhone has no innovation. Time for Apple to play catch-up to Android...

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
Where can you use NFC today?

morbo

Reviews:
·Charter
NFC payments available at more than 140,000 merchants, today: »www.mastercard.us/cardholder-ser···tor.html

It is mostly larger companies, but as credit card terminals are replaced over time wireless capability will be rolled out.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
Well since I exclusively use AMEX that list may not apply to me. NFC definitely has a future, but I'm not missing it for now.

morbo

All the major credit cards can be used on Google Wallet: »www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#p···in-store

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
What brick and mortar stores accept google wallet? Just haven't seen signa for it.

My grocery store and gas station don't as far as I know. My favorite restaurants don't have anything to indicate they do either.

Out of curiosity would I still get my 1-5% cash back that AMEX gives me now?