how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

How important is this feature?

I have an AT&T iphone, and yes I have used this ability once or twice, but overall I hate talking on the phone, and so do most people I know. Majority of communication is TXT/Email/Heytell, and my goal while on any phone call is trying to figure out how to end the call.

With that said I do think this is one of those stupid Apple things because they are always trying to make the device smaller. I don't want a smaller device, my iPhone4 is just fine. I want longer battery life, and more features, and this could be one feature that may have fit if they wouldn't waste time shrinking a device that already fits in the pocket just fine.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

Re: How important is this feature?

Nothing personal... but in my opinion, here we have some fine fanboi rationalization followed by a moment of personal clarity.

said by Phatty:

Re: How important is this feature?...

overall I hate talking on the phone, and so do most people I know....

All hail apple! They can do no wrong! I mean who the heck buys a phone to use it to communicate by voice right?

said by Phatty:

With that said I do think this is one of those stupid Apple things because they are always trying to make the device smaller. I don't want a smaller device, my iPhone4 is just fine. I want longer battery life, and more features, and this could be one feature that may have fit if they wouldn't waste time shrinking a device that already fits in the pocket just fine.

Yes... keep going... you are moving toward the light, keep going!!!

All joking aside, I find it very refreshing when an apple consumer has the honesty to admit that apple does stupid stuff... it seems rare but I think this time around we will hear more of it. Simultaneous voice and data was something I personally waited for a LONG time... this is clearly not the age to ignore such a feature yet apple just unilaterally does what they do so well... they tell people what to buy.

This is hilarious stuff

--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!
Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

said by Veloslave:

Nothing personal... but in my opinion, here we have some fine fanboi rationalization followed by a moment of personal clarity.

Actually anything but a fanboi, my iPhone is provided through my work and I am hoping that when the time comes to replace this phone the company will let me go Android. Hopefully rumors of a new phone in November from Google come true. I actually dislike Apple as a company and what they stand for, but when work offered to upgrade me from an iPhone 3G to 4, I determined no quality Androids existed on AT&T at that time and stuck with it.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
While they did want to shrink the device, I have a feeling that battery life was a bigger concern for them, having CDMA on at all times plus LTE is a big part of why most Verizon LTE phones have subpar battery life.

On AT&T you'll still get data and voice, I myself use an AT&T mvno, I am one of the few people who still like to talk on the phone, I use a bluetooth handset when I'm home and I talk and surf the web quite a lot, it's an important feature for me. I was on Verizon for awhile but the horrid battery life of their LTE phones plus the every increasing costs for very little service, caused me to leave not only Verizon but post-paid.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

The iPhone will still be using CDMA + LTE simultaneously, but for receive-only purposes. CDMA has to stay on all the time in order to accept phone calls and receive text messages. You just can't transmit on both techs at the same time.

As for subpar battery life, that has for the most part been solved, at least with higher-end phones. By "solved" I mean that you can be in an LTE area and still make it through the day with your phone, while doing a fair amount of stuff on the phone.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Still at 78 percent on my S3 since 7 this morning.

delusion ftl

@comcast.net
Tell me how many iphone users said that their phone was too thick? (not talking about weight)

Pretty much none. What apple should have done if they cared about the best experience for their users was to leave it the same thickness and doubled the battery life. But you have to understand. With Apple the look of the device, the form. It will always come ahead of functionality.

The other jerky thing Apple did was not go to the microusb standard that every other smartphone on the planet has used for 3+ years now. There's no reason other than having a patented connector that drives additional revenue from accessory sales.

By the way, by some estimates Apple may make billions of dollars on adapters alone from their old dock to the new lightning port. Only have to sell 33 million of them for each billion of practically free cash.