dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« iPhone 5S
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller

Re: To keep size down?

I consider size and weight a capability and in that the SG3 is an epic fail. I don't want a fucking mini tab in my pocket. That's stupid.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

When you consider the extra top/bottom bezel on iPhone, the SG3 is not much bigger. I surprising Apple still has all that top/bottom bezel.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

Width. One handed use on a narrow phone is much easier and faster to type. 1/2" makes a big difference. The SG3 is too small to be a good media player and too big to be a good phone. It's the worst of both worlds. It looked great but when I tried to use it, it was unwieldy to use one handed like by Galaxy WiFi. Fine as a novelty (ohhh, my phone is bigger than your phone) but would be a PITA to deal with on a daily basis.

Form is function in this case.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

This is just your personal preference and not everyone is the same. I'm happy with my HTC Rezound with extended battery. It fits nicely in my pocket, the 4.3" screen looks wonderful with a higher pixel density than any retina display. It works great for me as a media player. I watch Slingbox streams, Netflix, YouTube, and even MLB TV on this phone and it's absolutely fantastic.

4G LTE speeds on the perfect-sized display for on-the-go viewing. Form is definitely function in this case for me. A long-lasting, replaceable extended battery is more important to me than thin and light. To me, every phone is thin and light. Things that matter to me are docking cradles that allow my phone to sit in landscape mode while charging, not whether it is .22 inches thicker or .52 inches longer.

I have an iPod Touch (4th generation), and I find it much harder to hold and especially to type anything.

Isn't the RAZR also .3 inches deep, making it the same as the new iPhone 5 spec?
jmn1207

jmn1207 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I consider size and weight a capability and in that the SG3 is an epic fail. I don't want a fucking mini tab in my pocket. That's stupid.

I certainly do want a mini tab in my pocket. That's genius. My new iPad is just too clunky to carry around with me on a daily basis. Since my phone can do everything my iPad is capable of, it is more convenient to just take my phone with me when I leave the house. Having something a little bigger, but still easy enough to slide in my pocket, would be even better.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
I have a Galaxy Nexus. 4.65" screen, 720p display, Super AMOLED screen. 135grams (23 heavier than the iPhone 5)

The screen is no problem. I can type upwards of 40 wpm with two hands. Just because you can't type with two hands doesn't mean everyone can't.

Most phones these days are tiny anyways - it's the case you add on that makes it big.

I like my large screen. Enjoy your puny 4" screen on your iphone with a ton of wasted real estate.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
It's quite apparent you haven't even touched a S3 based on your comments

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS
I don't want to type with two hands with a handset
skeechan

skeechan to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Its quite apparent you made an incorrect assumption. I have used an S3 and while nice looking, it is a novelty, would never use it for my daily work

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

A novelty? Says the iSheep...

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
And I don't want to type with one hand (which I can do. Barely, but I can)

Stating that the "size and weight" hint, 21g lighter, is "epic fail" is ridiculous. If 20 grams is that much different for you... lol.

It's also a much more capable phone than the iphone 5 any day. Extra size means more weight, especially when the screen is nearly an inch larger.

It may be a novelty for you, but a lot of us use and enjoy the larger screens. And they are used in our daily work.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
So angry you.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

So angry you.

No, not really

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to skeechan

to skeechan
Wow.. Epic fail, eh? Doubt it.

..and you'd prefer a "Mini iPad" in your pocket?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

You mean the mini ipad that SJ said no one wanted? But now they are apparently releasing one? LOL

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Its quite apparent you made an incorrect assumption. I have used an S3 and while nice looking, it is a novelty, would never use it for my daily work

like you could use an iDevice in a corporate world ruled by Microsoft.

»i.imgur.com/X4xV8.png
Snapped 2012-09-14 14:47:18

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS
S3 is an oversize toy, a novelty that wears thin with daily use. The S3 is for kids that think "bigger is always better" when that is rarely the case.
skeechan

skeechan to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller
I would long before I'd step down to using a shitty plastic hemorrhoid handset whose main feature is random reboots and force closing apps.

OOooooo but it's bigger. Yay, bigger fail.
skeechan

skeechan to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
I'd be angry too if I were stuck using an Android handset every day. I'd be kicking my dog, beating the gf...I sympathize with your frustration although I have never known it, being that I'm an iPhone owner.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
And as I said earlier, it's quite apparent you haven't used any handset released recently... I have NONE of those issues and neither does anyone I know using Android

Keep spewing your shit iTool...
Expand your moderator at work

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: To keep size down?

Pot...meet kettle.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.

Humanoso
join:2010-09-29
Brooklyn, NY

Humanoso to Anon

to Anon
said by skeechan:

No reason to get butthurt because you have a crap handset. You can always step up to an iPhone.

What are the innovations that iPhone is offering? Besides the fact that is thinner and the iTunes what can I do with an iPhone that I cant do right now with android or wp?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

said by Humanoso:

said by skeechan:

No reason to get butthurt because you have a crap handset. You can always step up to an iPhone.

What are the innovations that iPhone is offering? Besides the fact that is thinner and the iTunes what can I do with an iPhone that I cant do right now with android or wp?

Nothing, that's what...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Humanoso

Premium Member

to Humanoso
Better camera optics and processing, faster graphics, better battery life, better connectivity options (like full car integration with my R350 and 535i, not just crappy BT audio)....

After looking at the S3 in store and messing with my friends' for several hours I went through the list of the things I use my iPhone for and the S3 wouldn't fit the bill for a lot of them just as my Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 doesn't. Even Google Play's music manager poses problems in that it ignores high bitrate files rather than re-encode 256 or 320 and go ahead and upload. So with my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi I find my playlists half empty and the S3 would be the same mess. There is more to an handset than hardware, software is just as important or more so and Android just isn't well thought out. I have 3 Android devices, it's not like I don't use them...I use them all the time but I wouldn't pick them over iOS, no way.

I've never used a WP7 handset so I don't know how they are but I do not that there are no OEM connectivity options for my cars for WP.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Kamus

to Kamus
said by Kamus:

said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.

In that case, I'll see if I can find an old Motorola Brickphone for you.
« iPhone 5S
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?