All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« iPhone 5S
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to skeechan

Re: To keep size down?

When you consider the extra top/bottom bezel on iPhone, the SG3 is not much bigger. I surprising Apple still has all that top/bottom bezel.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Width. One handed use on a narrow phone is much easier and faster to type. 1/2" makes a big difference. The SG3 is too small to be a good media player and too big to be a good phone. It's the worst of both worlds. It looked great but when I tried to use it, it was unwieldy to use one handed like by Galaxy WiFi. Fine as a novelty (ohhh, my phone is bigger than your phone) but would be a PITA to deal with on a daily basis.

Form is function in this case.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
This is just your personal preference and not everyone is the same. I'm happy with my HTC Rezound with extended battery. It fits nicely in my pocket, the 4.3" screen looks wonderful with a higher pixel density than any retina display. It works great for me as a media player. I watch Slingbox streams, Netflix, YouTube, and even MLB TV on this phone and it's absolutely fantastic.

4G LTE speeds on the perfect-sized display for on-the-go viewing. Form is definitely function in this case for me. A long-lasting, replaceable extended battery is more important to me than thin and light. To me, every phone is thin and light. Things that matter to me are docking cradles that allow my phone to sit in landscape mode while charging, not whether it is .22 inches thicker or .52 inches longer.

I have an iPod Touch (4th generation), and I find it much harder to hold and especially to type anything.

Isn't the RAZR also .3 inches deep, making it the same as the new iPhone 5 spec?

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to skeechan
I have a Galaxy Nexus. 4.65" screen, 720p display, Super AMOLED screen. 135grams (23 heavier than the iPhone 5)

The screen is no problem. I can type upwards of 40 wpm with two hands. Just because you can't type with two hands doesn't mean everyone can't.

Most phones these days are tiny anyways - it's the case you add on that makes it big.

I like my large screen. Enjoy your puny 4" screen on your iphone with a ton of wasted real estate.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
I don't want to type with two hands with a handset

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
And I don't want to type with one hand (which I can do. Barely, but I can)

Stating that the "size and weight" hint, 21g lighter, is "epic fail" is ridiculous. If 20 grams is that much different for you... lol.

It's also a much more capable phone than the iphone 5 any day. Extra size means more weight, especially when the screen is nearly an inch larger.

It may be a novelty for you, but a lot of us use and enjoy the larger screens. And they are used in our daily work.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
S3 is an oversize toy, a novelty that wears thin with daily use. The S3 is for kids that think "bigger is always better" when that is rarely the case.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Kamus:

said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.

In that case, I'll see if I can find an old Motorola Brickphone for you.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
reply to skeechan
Lol, okay bro.
I'm pretty sure you just have tiny hands.
A bigger screen is better for more than just bragging rights. In fact, nobody cares about how big a screen is. Bigger is better for a lot of us because we prefer the more useful screen estate, we enjoy the occasional video, viewing e-mails, etc. It's just preference.

vp71inet

join:2005-05-12
Englishtown, NJ
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I don't want to type with two hands with a handset

As [Bold]jmn1207[/Bold] says, its your personal preference. Can we agree to disagree? Stop trying to force everyone else to your mold.

I find that sometimes I want to type with a single hand, but mostly with two like when typing txt msgs. I will skip this whiz bang technology and continue with my NOKIA N900, a phone that was ahead of its time and still relevant. Have a problem with that?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Don't worry, I'm not bribing Sammy to narrow up their next handset. U buy what you want or stick with what you have but the same could be said about people crying about the screen size of the iPhone or claiming superiority with the not so superior S3.

I'm with ya on the N900...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to skeechan
that's probably just because you are asian and have small hands? my hands aren't big, but the sgs3 isn't that big

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
I'm not asian and can palm a basketball. That's not the issue. I CAN type with my thumb on the S3 just not quickly. To type fast or use swyping I have to use 2 hands and I don't always have 2 hands free. I don't like skeebobbling with a $200+ handset nor am I going to sport a Hello Kitty lanyard.