Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

2 recommendations

Thordrune to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

I'd love 305, and I'm within a half mile of our Node (it's between two poles on Vineyard Oaks Dr), but not for 300 bucks, are they kidding? The cable, power and telephone lines run to the corner of Vineyard Oaks Dr and Forsythe Dr, then drop underground at that spot as our development (Forsythe Village) has all underground utilities. This is a very rural area (Mendocino County, NW CA), so I doubt we'll even see this anytime soon.

One way to think about it would be slightly less than one dollar per megabit of downstream bandwidth, versus three times that for Blast up here. Considering the relatively specialized equipment and setup, it seems cheap to me.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
It's FIBER to your home

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE to Beaverbob140

Premium Member

to Beaverbob140
About two months ago they were running fiber optic down our road we stopped and talked to the man and he said that it was for Comcast said that it would be much faster than the regular cable service so this makes sense now that I'm reading it... so we have coax and fiber optic ran on our poles and they are both in the air...
I live in Milan, Michigan

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to Beaverbob140

Premium Member

to Beaverbob140
Sounds like Comcast is creeping to FTTH. Metro-E sounds like an expensive, inefficient way of doing it though. (Clearly working with what they have...)

Still, a Metro-E for only $300, + 500 for Fiber to your home?

$300 is a LOT of money a month, but its pretty amazing the cost can be reduced that much...I wonder how much fiber they will run for that $500 install.

If Comcast switches to IPTV (Theoretically) and devotes all channels in the system to DOCSIS, how much bandwidth could they pull off?
I know the above is unlikely, but its probably cheaper than building a totally new system.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

if they are going fiber
they may as well go all out

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

If Comcast switches to IPTV (Theoretically) and devotes all channels in the system to DOCSIS, how much bandwidth could they pull off?

6 gbps.
38mbps per 256QAM channel x 158 channels in 1000 Mhz bandwidth.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

It's FIBER to your home

Companies here in NorCal like Surewest and and Sonic are offering FTTH for FAR Less than 300 bucks. I doubt we'll see FTTH here in Mendocino County anytime soon, but who knows, I was suprised in 2000 when Adelphia announced they'd upgrade the entire system here for Digital Cable in 2001, and HSI in 2002, they did it and I rejoiced! Adelphia got the system here in Mendocino County from Century Communications, whom they acquired in 1999.

»www.wired.com/techbiz/me ··· 03/18294

Then of course Comcast got us from Adelphia

Edit-They might find a lot of buyers in certain locations in the Bay Area (ie.Palo Alto, Atherton), but I doubt they would for that up here, this is a relatively poor country. I bet they're only targeting areas with existing fiber competition, but 300 seems awfully steep.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Ultibeam

Premium Member

to Ultibeam
said by Ultibeam:

Coax can do higher channel bonding, it's just that the equipment isn't ready nor reliable.

Metro-E can reach 10Gbps for business customers. Comcast could rely on the Ethernet solution for higher speeds.

Some day they will have to abandon their "last mile" hybrid fiber / coax infrastructure... It would eliminate most of the current major maintenance / cost issues for them as well.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad to Beaverbob140

MVM

to Beaverbob140
At the end of an item posted by Cathy Avgiris (Executive VP, Communications and Data Services) to the Comcast Voices blog today announcing the launch of a new Xfinity Wireless Gateway (»blog.comcast.com/2012/09 ··· ifi.html), was also this announcement about the new "Extreme 305 speed tier":

In addition to offering the fastest in-home WiFi, we're also announcing the availability of our Extreme 305 speed tier, which reaffirms our commitment to providing customers with the nation's fastest Internet. Extreme 305 is a new ultra-fast speed tier that offers the most-advanced digital homes download speeds of up to 305 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 65 Mbps. It's currently being offered across most of our Northeast division, which includes major markets such as Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey.

EDIT: Found the press release about it here: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· ome-WiFi
EDIT2: On the Comcast site now: »www.comcast.com/About/Pr ··· RID=1218
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

The Comcast press release today doesn't say how this "Extreme 305" speed tier is to be delivered, so there still seems to be some confusion about that, given what it says in this article on the CED Magazine site today:

Comcast updates wireless gateway; 305 launches in Northeast
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - September 18, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· ortheast

From the article:
Comcast’s Extreme 305 tier uses an 802.11ac wireless router from Netgear, which is paired with a cable modem for an additional $20 per month.
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

And in this article on the Light Reading Cable site today about Hitron submitting their new 24x8 gateway to CableLabs for certification testing, it still talks about Comcast’s 305/65 speed tier being delivered via DOCSIS 3.0:

1-Gig Cable Gateway Gets Ready for Its Close-Up
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - September 25, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

From that article:
But it's unlikely that many cable operators have the channels available or the desire to offer a broadband tier that would fully load a 24x8 modem right away. Hitron believes operators will go for consistency instead, adding channels to the bonding group to stabilize aggregate speeds going for existing tiers, rather than shooting for 1Gbit/s bursts.

Several U.S. MSOs offer D3 tiers that advertise downstream speeds in the range of 50Mbit/s to 100Mbit/s. The extreme case is Comcast Corp., which introduced a new tier that maxes out at 305Mbit/s downstream and 65Mbit/s upstream. (See Comcast Revs Up Pricey 305-Meg Tier: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable )
telcodad

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

OK, this article on Light Reading Cable site this morning should finally clear up any confusion on how this service will be provided. Note that this thread is referenced in the article.

Comcast Gives FTTH a Shot
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - September 27, 2012

EDIT: Also, an article on the FierceTelecom site today: »www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 12-09-28

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

2 recommendations

houkouonchi to Beaverbob140

to Beaverbob140
Wow being FTTH and metro ethernet I would seriously consider this service. Not only should it be way more reliable (and no daytime slowdowns wih DOCSIS) but the latency should be significantly better on metro Ethernet as well under 1ms to the headend.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

1 recommendation

somms to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

Figured each fiber strand can handle 1Gbps each way with ease so 1 strand should be more than good enough per customer.

»nextbigfuture.com/2012/0 ··· ond.html

1Gbps is nothing for fiber since a single fiber strand was used to smoke the 1Pbps barrier just recently. Era of obsolete copper cable has been over for a while now and it is about time that Comcast finally got on board with FTTH!

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

I want a 1 Pbps conenction

now if we go by comcast's 1$ per megabit pricing...
that's about 1 billion dollars per month
that's about typical pricing for comcast.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Beaverbob140

MVM

to Beaverbob140
FYI - Rogers, the largest cable operator in Canada, is now offering their own (250/250) version of "Extreme 305":

Rogers Starts to Get It On With GPON
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - November 26, 2012