how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xfinity_Tech

join:2012-08-31
reply to Beaverbob140

Re: Extreme 305

*Where and when will you be offering Extreme 305 Internet Service?

** The Extreme 305 Internet Service will be launched across our Northeast division in major markets, including Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey. Currently, we’re launching these offerings in this set of initial markets and will be determining future roll-out plans at a later date.

Eligibility:
*Customer must be Metro-E serviceable. Then, fiber site survey must be completed prior to installation to qualify the home/address.

*The site must meet the following criteria:

*Single Dwelling Unit

*Located less than 1/3 of a mile from Fiber Access Node

*Aerial fiber build only (Aerial or Underground drop)

*Serviced by Metro-E capable Head-end (SUR/1G-E Port Available)

Additional Eligibility Guidelines:

*Dwelling with aerial or underground service access must be within 150 feet of the Comcast infrastructure and:

*Either have no obstructions such as hardscaping, paved or unpaved driveways, sidewalks or retaining walls
- Or -

*If these obstructions exist, intact underground conduit readily available for Comcast use must already be in place

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
so does it wind up being a dedicated pair (2 strands) of fiber from the customer back to the CMTS?

I know that the build out they did out here (yes, this is west coast, not eligible for extreme 305 right now.. thats besides the point), there is a fiber splice case near every node.. but judging by the size of the fiber cable they ran, it cant be more than 96-strand fiber to the node (and that's being extremely generous, considering the small splice cases i see).

So how many customers, on average, would comcast be able to serve the extreme 305? is it first-come first-serve until they run out of free fiber?

Obviously i'm thinking about this in the terms that each endpoint requires a pair of fiber (you know, your standard networking layout.. switchrouter, etc)

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
there is a splice enclosure at every node, no matter where you are located....if there isnt a contractor needs to be fired. how else you going to splice into the main fiber run?

also you dont need separate fiber back to the head end, you can just mux the wavelengths together.
--
I'm better than you!

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
so this sounds like a FTTH setup, correct? if a lot of people on a given node sign up, there is the possibility of comcast having to size up the splice case at the node to handle the growth?

or, like in my area i know of a couple businesses that have metro-e (100Mbps symmetric...my wife works for said business) off the splice case off my node. my node is about a mile (cable length) from my house, but these businesses that had fiber ran to them from comcast are much closer (from the splice case at the node), would comcast build from me back to the to the node (mile away) or from me back to the business they already ran fiber to (less than 1/2 mile away...)

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to gar187er
Figured each fiber strand can handle 1Gbps each way with ease so 1 strand should be more than good enough per customer.

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
said by SHoTTa35 :

Figured each fiber strand can handle 1Gbps each way with ease so 1 strand should be more than good enough per customer.

»nextbigfuture.com/2012/09/world-···ond.html

1Gbps is nothing for fiber since a single fiber strand was used to smoke the 1Pbps barrier just recently. Era of obsolete copper cable has been over for a while now and it is about time that Comcast finally got on board with FTTH!

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
I want a 1 Pbps conenction

now if we go by comcast's 1$ per megabit pricing...
that's about 1 billion dollars per month
that's about typical pricing for comcast.