dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« iPhone 5S
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: To keep size down?

A novelty? Says the iSheep...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

So angry you.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

So angry you.

No, not really

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I'd be angry too if I were stuck using an Android handset every day. I'd be kicking my dog, beating the gf...I sympathize with your frustration although I have never known it, being that I'm an iPhone owner.
Expand your moderator at work
skeechan

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: To keep size down?

Pot...meet kettle.

Humanoso
join:2010-09-29
Brooklyn, NY

Humanoso to Anon

to Anon
said by skeechan:

No reason to get butthurt because you have a crap handset. You can always step up to an iPhone.

What are the innovations that iPhone is offering? Besides the fact that is thinner and the iTunes what can I do with an iPhone that I cant do right now with android or wp?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

said by Humanoso:

said by skeechan:

No reason to get butthurt because you have a crap handset. You can always step up to an iPhone.

What are the innovations that iPhone is offering? Besides the fact that is thinner and the iTunes what can I do with an iPhone that I cant do right now with android or wp?

Nothing, that's what...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Humanoso

Premium Member

to Humanoso
Better camera optics and processing, faster graphics, better battery life, better connectivity options (like full car integration with my R350 and 535i, not just crappy BT audio)....

After looking at the S3 in store and messing with my friends' for several hours I went through the list of the things I use my iPhone for and the S3 wouldn't fit the bill for a lot of them just as my Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 doesn't. Even Google Play's music manager poses problems in that it ignores high bitrate files rather than re-encode 256 or 320 and go ahead and upload. So with my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi I find my playlists half empty and the S3 would be the same mess. There is more to an handset than hardware, software is just as important or more so and Android just isn't well thought out. I have 3 Android devices, it's not like I don't use them...I use them all the time but I wouldn't pick them over iOS, no way.

I've never used a WP7 handset so I don't know how they are but I do not that there are no OEM connectivity options for my cars for WP.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by skeechan:

Better camera optics and processing, faster graphics, better battery life, better connectivity options (like full car integration with my R350 and 535i, not just crappy BT audio)....

Better camera optics? Nope. The Nokia 808 has you beat.
Processing? Nope. The HTC One X (and soon the Galaxy Note 2) has you beat. Heck, even the S3 has a Quad Core version of itself.
Faster Graphics? Where's the benchmark to prove it?
Better battery life? Nope. The Motorola RAZRMaxx has that beat.
Better connectivity options? Ya, YOU PAY FOR THAT. Do you really know how much that option is? We're talking a few thousand.
said by skeechan:

Even Google Play's music manager poses problems in that it ignores high bitrate files rather than re-encode 256 or 320 and go ahead and upload. So with my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi I find my playlists half empty and the S3 would be the same mess. There is more to an handset than hardware, software is just as important or more so and Android just isn't well thought out. I have 3 Android devices, it's not like I don't use them...I use them all the time but I wouldn't pick them over iOS, no way.

Wow.. Keep drinking that Apple-flavored Koolaid.
I have never had issues with high bitrate files on my CM9 Captivate. As for 256-320kbps, in what format?
So far, the only bad example you have given us was "it won't handle xxx bitrate", which is crap. I can list several things that the iOS doesn't do.. but I won't continuously feed the troll.

Oh, here's the specs of both phones. »common.ziffdavisinternet ··· 9,00.jpg

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Google Play MUSIC MANAGER...the app that uploads songs to the cloud. It doesn't support lossless files like FLAC or ALAC and my library is largely ALAC. So when I go to actually play my playlists, they're 1/2 empty because music manager doesn't attempt re-encode files say to 256K or 320K MP3 that it can't natively upload. I have to create completely separate libraries and manually re-encode my lossless stuff to MP3 if I want to play it off the Google Play cloud service. Given I have 13K tracks, keeping everything on the device is not practical. Given I have 13K tracks, manually duplicating and then maintaining 2 separate libraries satisfy the sorry support provided by Android isn't practical. The music manager should offer to convert to MP3, lossless files it can't upload rather than simply ignore them.

As for the others, you're absolutely right. Yes, the 1/2" thick Nokia has better optics and the RAZR an amazing battery. I had direct competitor handsets in my head like the S3. There are certainly specialty Android handsets that pick one thing and do it spectacularly while doing everything else like crap.

As far as processing, the iPhone 5 runs a dual core A15 in it (supposedly the first handset to sport it), Samsung isn't rolling out their A15 based handsets until Q4. The few benchmarks we have seen for A15 (like the Ti OMAP5 video) show it eats the A9 for breakfast, even with 2 fewer cores. Not merely beats it...owns it.

Faster graphics, I saw console quality graphics, something not even my 12 core GPU TF700T can do and certainly no A9 based handset can do. Real Racing 3 makes Shadow Gun, Riptide and Dead Space, 3 great looking Android games look like total ass. Nothing definitive but it certainly looks like Apple stepped up to the PVR 6 when moving to the A15.

The iPhone 5 WILL undoubtedly rule the handset processing roost until at least the 4Q when other A15 handsets start appearing from manufacturers who don't care about battery life and will overclock the snot out of them. But 'tis the way with technology. Wait 6 months and something faster comes out. 6 more months something still faster. 6 more months...faster yet.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Are you sure that Google Play music manager can't upload FLAC files and transcode them to 320kbps mp3 files?

»support.google.com/googl ··· tx=topic

Why not just drag and drop lossless .flac tracks right from your computer to your phone and use an app that can play these files without having to compress the format? SD cards are cheap, and you could keep tons of great quality music with you.

If you're just going to use 320kbps bit rates, you may as well sign up for MOG or Spotify (or both, cheap at $10/month each) and stream using LTE or WiFi while only keeping a small library of songs on the device that these services don't have licenses to provide?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

I have too many tracks to keep track of manually. Since Apple is butthurt over FLAC that is what I have to do now with FLAC files on iOS, 3rd party app it.

The bigger hurdle is my library has a truckload of ALACs which while open source is not supported by the music manager. But even the FLACs I had in a test folder for Music Manager didn't upload. MP3's no problem, regular m4a's, no problem but MM didn't grab the FLACs. I don't know anything about FLAC, these were files my friend ripped from my import discs a long time ago. I think they were done with EAC on his Windows box. They've since been converted to ALAC (using Max) but I still had the FLACs on my NAS so I tried them. Not knowing anything about FLAC I thought maybe not all FLAC files are created equal, like it's a container or something.

I don't need lossless files in the cloud...I just want every track in some form and more importantly cataloged so I can find it (eg in my regular playlists). I was hoping the MM would transcode files it couldn't upload.

Spotify has an annoying bug where I get an "i'm not connected to social media" error unless I log in with Facebook, even when I disable the social media setting...so I don't use Spotify.

iTunes Match + Cloud works perfect for me. I was just messing with my Galaxy S and Google Music's cloud service and ran into these quirks. I still have it turned on and monitoring my iTunes media folder, it's just that my Google cloud is missing a crap load of my stuff and my favorite stuff in ALAC.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Skeechan, have you tried dbPowerAmp? You can convert in between formats. It works rather well.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

As a Mac user I use Max and it batch converts from everything to everything and had tag and art editing. I was hoping to not maintain 2 separate libraries...one feeding iTunes cloud and one feeding the Google cloud, especially since Google Music Manager does a good job at getting the "regular" tracks from iTunes and preserving playlists. If only Music Manager would transcode the lossless files it can't upload on the fly, it would solve it. But now I get back to a mess that 5000-something tracks couldn't be uploaded.

If it were just a handful of tracks I wouldn't care so much about having a few duplicates but 5K is too much work for too little benefit especially since those 5K tracks are spread across multiple artists and playlists.

iTunes can easily find them and create AAC versions and keep them in the same folder but I'm not sure if it would keep them in the same playlist as they would be a duplicate just in a transcoded format. I also don't want to increase my library size by 10-15% adding 5K m4a files.

Since Google has done such in depth iTunes integration I'm hoping that support for the open source ALAC would get added some time in the future.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Exactly, but you forgot to mention that Android has been, in fact, able to sync with iTunes for awhile via an app. That is, if you really want that hemorrhoid of a program called iTunes on your computer. The app is called doubletwist. I use it because it's a good audio player with a wide range of codecs(though I like Xiaalive for radio via wifi and Yourmuze for cellular(works well even on 2G)), not to sync with crappy iTunes.
« iPhone 5S
This is a sub-selection from To keep size down?