Richland, WA

2 recommendations

Jerm to JigglyWiggly

to JigglyWiggly

Problem MATH

So lets get this straight:

For rough math sake, say $50/month for 300GB

At overage rates $10GBx300 = $3000!

So they are saying once we hit 300GB data is worth 60X more?!!!
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

said by Jerm:

Yeah, that math doesn't make sense.. that's wireless data prices and crazy for wireline.. I thought the idea was $10 for every 50 additional gb...

Nevertheless, if you're on a plan that pays more than $100 a month for internet there should be NO, ZERO, ZILCH, ZIPPO caps..that would obviously be business class afforability wise, if not in QOS.. and 100 - 150 megabit tier-- currently AFAIK, the 50 megabit tier with Comcast is close to the $100 mark.. which is as I suspected, price collusion with Verizon.. and utter GREED!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Jerm

to Jerm
Nope. Comcast charges $10 per 50GB for overages.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

2 recommendations

nysports4evr to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly

Re: datttt

said by JigglyWiggly:

if no cap on 50+ tiers...
then i will give cumcast a hi five
that wud actually be awesome

Please stop typing like that.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

no
go be an engrish teacher if you care about what people's grammar on the internet is

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

Jerm to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Problem MATH

article has been edited to reflect this now, makes more sense!
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

1 recommendation

etaadmin to Robert

to Robert

said by Robert:

said by JigglyWiggly:

if no cap on 50+ tiers...
then i will give cumcast a hi five
that wud actually be awesome

Que?

No mas caps.

mikeschr
@comcast.net

mikeschr to JigglyWiggly

Anon

to JigglyWiggly
Then fewer people will read and accept the points you're making. In that case, what's the point of posting at all?
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

1 edit

tanzam75 to Jerm

to Jerm

said by Jerm:

If you want to pay $3000 a month, you can pay for a dedicated line. The costs to run the line will either be paid by you up-front, or amortized over a contract period. Nobody will care if you push multiple terabytes through in each month, as you have paid the full costs of the line and are not impacting other customers.
tanzam75

tanzam75 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

Nevertheless, if you're on a plan that pays more than $100 a month for internet there should be NO, ZERO, ZILCH, ZIPPO caps..that would obviously be business class afforability wise, if not in QOS.. and 100 - 150 megabit tier-- currently AFAIK, the 50 megabit tier with Comcast is close to the $100 mark.. which is as I suspected, price collusion with Verizon.. and utter GREED!

Unrealistic.

Metro Ethernet runs in the $1000 per month range. Nobody cares if you max out the line for every second of every day for the full month, because you've paid for that dedicated capacity.

Clearly, then, $100 per month business-class service depends on some degree of statistical multiplexing. You simply cannot max out the line without impacting other customers on the same node.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by tanzam75:

Clearly, then, $100 per month business-class service depends on some degree of statistical multiplexing. You simply cannot max out the line without impacting other customers on the same node.

Well, presumably the higher price of the service would fund infrastructure upgrades to allow them to offer a lower contention ratio than they otherwise could. Business class service can also be prioritized over residential service during times of congestion. I'm not sure if Comcast does this but I know my provider (Frontier) does.

Another consideration is that most businesses care more about latency than they do about sustained transfer rates. They need webpages to load snappily, VoIP to work, VPNs to work, RDP to work, etc, etc. Online backups are about the only thing a typical business would need sustained data transfer speeds for, but even that isn't really a consideration, most online backups are incremental, and they can be scheduled to occur during off-peak times. Additionally, many businesses would care more about the upstream than the downstream, they need it for road warriors and the like. Torrent kiddies notwithstanding, the upstream side of the equation is underutilized in most ISP networks, so the contention ratio is less of a concern there.

My employer shares a connection with 55-60 employees; in the last four weeks we've used 78.21GB down and 26.55GB up. Our 95th percentile is 1.09mbit/s, meaning that 95% of the time we were using less bandwidth than that. Most employers would be even lower on the downstream, we've got classrooms that do a fair amount of video streaming, whereas most business entities really have no need for that.

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

Lowtarget to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly

Even though our area cable service is with TWC. As long the company offers good service and unlimited bandwidth. That's what counts the most for me.

We really don't use that much bandwidth per month. But least it's something we don't have to worry about. We are on 30 Mbps down 5 Mbps up which is good enough for us.
Anon1280
join:2012-10-03

Anon1280 to Jerm

to Jerm

said by Jerm:

You're pretty bad at math pal, it's $10 per 50gb overage, meaning for $60 you get 300gb over...Lrn2Math