MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Triple Helix

MVM

to Triple Helix

Re: hiltron

said by Triple Helix:

I don't really understand your answer? OK wireless is superior how about connection issues or speeds issues with the net? I'm using the SMCD3GN I have no problems as I only use wireless N laptops but my speeds are all over the place with Extreme Plus and I tried Ultimate and got no better downloads then Extreme Plus but got the 2Mbps upload so I called support and they said the Hitron would be much better as it has 8 channels for download and 4 for upload compared to 4 and 4 with the SMC which I paid for as I hate renting so opinions please!

as a cable modem the HITRON performs equally as well as the CISCO DPC 3825. The HITRON and the CISCO as DOCSIS 3.0 Cale modems are superior to the SMC.

YOUR Internet speed are all over the map because the network node you are on is overcrowded so when lots of people on you node are active your speeds will jump all over th place.

The HITRON WIRELESS capabilities are superior to the SMC and the CISCO.

polbox1234
@rogers.com

polbox1234

Anon

How do i set the hitron for 40mhz band so i can get full 300N

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by polbox1234 :

How do i set the hitron for 40mhz band so i can get full 300N

Page 96 of the user Manuel provide the instructions you're looking for to set the channel width for N.

ArthurWinslo
@rogers.com

ArthurWinslo to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
No disrespect to you mozerd as I do see you're trying to help people. I feel almost sad to inform you that the SMC modem you spend a lot of time putting down is in fact made by HITRON.

The only physical difference between the CGN2 and the D3GN is the internal tuner which supports 8 downstream channels. Everything else including the actual firmware compile base is the same and direct from HITRON. This will also explain why users who received the D3GN's 3.1.4.x push are having the same issues as the CGN2 3.1.4.x at the moment.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx

said by ArthurWinslo :

I feel almost sad to inform you that the SMC modem.......is in fact made by HITRON.

Thank you for your valuable insight. I think your info has just ruined Christmas for a huge number of this forum's visitors.

It's actually quite hilarious. Rogers played us like a fiddle. Here's folks thinking they were upgrading to quality hardware and it's the same old thing in a different package.

The joke's on us this time.......I hope you'll be a regular contributor. We've been getting far too much Rogers disinformation posted here by some self-professed Rogers insiders lately. Gotta wonder who's behind that................

polio123
@rogers.com

polio123

Anon

How do i acces the Advanced wierless section

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd to ArthurWinslo

MVM

to ArthurWinslo
said by ArthurWinslo :

The only physical difference between the CGN2 and the D3GN is the internal tuner which supports 8 downstream channels. Everything else including the actual firmware compile base is the same and direct from HITRON. This will also explain why users who received the D3GN's 3.1.4.x push are having the same issues as the CGN2 3.1.4.x at the moment.

There is a very big difference in the wireless mode of the CGN2 and the D3GN --- from a wireless module perspective the CGNE is much more capable than the D3GN --- however, like I have stated before I would only recommend the HITRON be used in BRIDGE mode.

I was not aware that the SMC Rogers provisions is being manufactured by Hitron.
mozerd

mozerd to polio123

MVM

to polio123
said by polio123 :

How do i acces the Advanced wierless section

The user manuel has the answer to your question.

In the MANUEL look for the section that states:
Click Wireless > Advanced. The following screen displays

ArthurWinslo
@rogers.com

ArthurWinslo to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
elitefx: Thank you, I try to share information as I see relevant (and am allowed to share). I do not believe the D3GN or the CGN2 are garbage hardware. The issue is that nearly every update in the 3.x code base for both modems has nothing to do with improving connectivity but improving the internal security. I wish I can say more but it would start a whole sh*t storm. (and there’s the NDA’s too)

moznerd: I appreciate your perspective. I can only speak on my own experience in the internal workings of these devices. I have personally not ran tests between the CGN2 and The D3GN wirelessly. I do know that the CGN2 uses the same ralink sdk as the D3GN (as well as the D3GN2/v. SMC is more of a distribution company than a hardware manufacturer. Hitron also built the SMC 8003/8004 as well. Fun fact, the DLINK DCM202 (also manufactured by Hitron) is internally the same as the SMC 8003 too.
ArthurWinslo

ArthurWinslo to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
to add to my prior post - I do agree with mozerd in that running the CGN2 and D3GN in bridge mode. Heck, even the DPC3825 should be used in bridge mode.

People should do themselves a favor and pair any of the modems listed above with a decent performing wifi router and avoid a majority of the issues they're currently experiencing.

caca
@rogers.com

caca to ArthurWinslo

Anon

to ArthurWinslo
how do you bridge and whats a good router??

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

For the Router I suggest is the Netgear WNDR4500 -- the user manuel provides the information you need to place the Hitron in Bridge mode.

Pay specific attention to the section in the Manuel -- THE CAPABILITY SCREEN and remove all 4 of the checks from the Capabilities Settings Then after you Apply the HITRON will reboot into Bridge Mode. If you do not want to do that yourself call Rodgers and they will put the Hitron into Bridge mode for you.