how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dunand

join:2012-09-14

1 edit

Velcom DSL problem in Brossard since friday night

I'm with Velcom and my internet is down since this morning at 3. Any one else is having a problem to connect today in Brossard?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

Re: DSL problem in Brossard since last night

Some tips:

-Powercycle your cpe
-Pull stats from modem and post them here (sync rates, max obtainable rates, noise margin and attenuation)
-Make sure your phone cord is under 7'/2.1m
-Make sure all your phones/faxes are filtered, cordless ones double-filtered (unless you're on a dry loop)
-Try a known-to-work modem at your place or test your modem at a place that has working Internet service - does it sync? does it establish pppoe?

Once we have a bit more info, we will be able to help you
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

dunand

Click for full size
Click for full size
My upstream SNR Margin seems to be low at 7.0?

TheZandrew

join:2011-01-04
That seems strange, it says that you're sync'd, at 4992/800. Perhaps a login issue?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by TheZandrew:

That seems strange, it says that you're sync'd, at 4992/800. Perhaps a login issue?

Most likely. Did the OP push the reset button at any point? Most likely cause of those pesky "my Internet is not working, are your servers down?" service calls

By the way, upgrade to the 89-series, you'll get higher sync rate on the ds and better stability. 8816 and 8616 work under ideal conditions, but are touchy to minor issues. This is the cheapest way to improve your connection quality considering the state of the inside wiring where you live.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

dunand

reply to dunand
Today, I tested with a brand new TP-Link 8960N with the same bad result. I'm now sure the problem is not on my side.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by dunand:

Today, I tested with a brand new TP-Link 8960N with the same bad result. I'm now sure the problem is not on my side.

The 8960 is a great choice, but it won't fix either of the 2 possibilities that you're currently experiencing:

1) You didn't enter your username and password properly (also check that VPI is 0 and VCI 35)

2) Bell timing you out

Please note that #1 is 10x more likely than #2, so troubleshoot accordingly. Call your ISP's tech support and confirm the username and password. Make sure they are in the right case. Type them into a text editor, copy and paste into your modem's web interface (save the text file for future use). If you still can't get PPPoE, your ISP might need to open a timeouts ticket with Bell.
--
—George Bernard Shaw