uniqs

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

[iO] NFL Free Preview Coming On September 16

We're going to be getting a "free preview" of the NFL Network starting September 16th. Yup, it will be on WPIX channel 11. I suppose that's how we will still get the Giants games on that channel number.

I guess the free "preview" of Style is over.

Itshere
@optonline.net

Itshere

Anon

Cablevision already has the NFL Network and the Red Zone Channel. We got them the last week of August.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Not all tiers get the channel
Just like when they give free preview of Showtime or MLB Extra Innings

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Itshere

MVM

to Itshere
said by Itshere :

Cablevision already has the NFL Network and the Red Zone Channel. We got them the last week of August.

I am aware of this. The point of my posting has to do with the fact that it's where greedy Tribune owned WPIX channel 11 was.

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

No one cares about WPIX. The quality of its programming has deteroriated so much I dont hear anyone complaining that its gone. To me anyway Antenna TV has more value than WPIX. I wouldnt be the least bit sad if WPIX was permanently replaced with something else and based on the lack of outrage from other subscribers I think most would agree. This doesnt rival FOX, Scripps or ABC.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
The heyday of WPIX is long gone; the only good thing was another local news POV.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to ilsno

MVM

to ilsno
said by ilsno :

To me anyway Antenna TV has more value than WPIX.

You're not going to get one without the other, which is why I'd like to see this dispute resolved. I think even Tribune is giving up. Their ads on radio have disappeared and the dispute is slowly being de-emphasized on WPIX's web site.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM

Anon

said by mbernste:

said by ilsno :

You're not going to get one without the other, which is why I'd like to see this dispute resolved. I think even Tribune is giving up. Their ads on radio have disappeared and the dispute is slowly being de-emphasized on WPIX's web site.

Yeah, and meanwhile, channel 114 has been a non-stop looping message without audio advising of the Tribune dispute. A complete wasteful use of a channel. I still maintain Cablevision should do the same thing with 114 as they have with channel 11. For an entire month, Cablevision subscribers have paid the same rate, but have been reduced one channel. Does anyone care about that, or am I being stupid in thinking that is wrong? I'm not suggesting CV bow to Tribune. In fact, I think CV is right on this one, and was right in the beginning of all the other recent disputes. But I do think they owe their paying subscribers more than just the typical, "we apologize for the inconvenience"
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

said by SirQAM :

said by mbernste:

said by ilsno :

Yeah, and meanwhile, channel 114 has been a non-stop looping message without audio advising of the Tribune dispute. A complete wasteful use of a channel. I still maintain Cablevision should do the same thing with 114 as they have with channel 11. For an entire month, Cablevision subscribers have paid the same rate, but have been reduced one channel. Does anyone care about that, or am I being stupid in thinking that is wrong? I'm not suggesting CV bow to Tribune. In fact, I think CV is right on this one, and was right in the beginning of all the other recent disputes. But I do think they owe their paying subscribers more than just the typical, "we apologize for the inconvenience"

I'm sure in several occasions cablevision has added channels without you seeing in increase in your bill for that month or the rest of the year. But you think you deserve some sort of credit for a few channels going black while they actually try and work out a deal that won't require a huge increase in price in the future for you?

What do you want from them? You agree with what they are doing, and you understand the reason they are doing it...but you still want some sort of compensation.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

It looks like they made the switch this morning. I checked at around 5 AM and it was the NFL Network. I assume they must've down the switch at midnight.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM to cabletecht

Anon

to cabletecht
said by cabletecht:

I'm sure in several occasions cablevision has added channels without you seeing in increase in your bill for that month or the rest of the year. But you think you deserve some sort of credit for a few channels going black while they actually try and work out a deal that won't require a huge increase in price in the future for you?

What do you want from them? You agree with what they are doing, and you understand the reason they are doing it...but you still want some sort of compensation.

You're right. Cablevision added Disney Junior, Telicare, and Jewelry Television. After those adds, I saw no increase in the bill

CV demonstrated they can substitute programming in these disputes by doing so on channel 11. I don't see why they couldn't do the same thing on channel 114.

Likely the dispute will end when CW starts putting pressure on WPIX. But right now that is speculation and not a guarantee. I have said before that CV demonstrated good-will by substituting programming on channel 11, and I think they would demonstrate even more by replicating their action with respect to channel 114.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
this free preview is currently not encrypted in eastern suffolk county.

StudioTech
Off The Air
join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

StudioTech

Since it's being shown as a free preview, there's no reason it should be encrypted.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by StudioTech:

Since it's being shown as a free preview, there's no reason it should be encrypted.

ive seen other "free previews" encrypted when they shouldnt be.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

said by EliteData:

said by StudioTech:

ive seen other "free previews" encrypted when they shouldnt be.

Well i'm still getting a subscription required screen on my htpc. Unless I also need SDV. I don't have one of those. If that's the case you all know where CV can stick this.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
I get the syle channel and nfl network free already, maybe this is just for basic subscribers. it's a repeat of the channels i already get for me.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164
addressable cable boxes have two types of content authorization, content encryption and display authorization.
the QAM channel may be clear and non-encrypted but the addressable box display may not be authorized.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

said by EliteData:

addressable cable boxes have two types of content authorization, content encryption and display authorization.
the QAM channel may be clear and non-encrypted but the addressable box display may not be authorized.

I agree except that's why I have the cable card in it. It should have taken care of that.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

not until the next sub expiry of 10/3 for powerkey (the expiry date for you may be different)

mech1164
I'll Be Back
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to mbernste

to mbernste
Ok update.

I called yesterday and CV tried remotely to force an update. That was a no go. Told have to have a tech roll, ok. That was from 11-2 today. Had to call at 1:30 see where they were. Got call back from tech at 2:15. He came in looked for the tivo wondered where it was. Had to explain I had a ceton card with the CC in it. He never saw one before. Long story short he couldn't do anything either.

I now have a choice of paying more and getting IO preferred and get NFL network with the sports package. Or trek to a service center and get a free box. Oh and he said I need to talk to Cust Service to see what can be done. Meanwhile the Game is hrs away.

WAY TO GO CABLEVISION.....NOT!!!

I'm going to try and get a amped antenna to see if I can get 11 tonight. Wish me luck.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht to mbernste

to mbernste
dont have an ipad or laptop by any chance? if so you can get the optimum app and watch it there for the time being.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

2nd update.

CV did a solid for me. I called and they did an offsetting credit for nfl network. Have to say was a lil shocked that they did it so fast. Must really be taking heat for this squabble with PIX.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

Cablevision can send updates to the cable cards that will make the channels work.

In the past I have had my card "expire" and they just authorize it again. It does not happen right away though, for some reason the Cable Cards can take nearly 10 minutes to get their authorization... its a weird system.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to mbernste

to mbernste
NFL net on ch 11 pix has subtle audio drop outs while ch 150 does not. This has been happening since the preview started.
oolcableusr
join:2010-02-17
Centereach, NY

oolcableusr

said by dm145:

NFL net on ch 11 pix has subtle audio drop outs while ch 150 does not. This has been happening since the preview started.

Noticed the occasional dropouts on Ch11 during the Giants game Thursday night. At one point it was actually synchronized with the seconds timer of the game clock- a dropout every second.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to mbernste

to mbernste
The NFL Network free preview is over, it has been replaced by a free preview of OWN.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by RemyM:

The NFL Network free preview is over, it has been replaced by a free preview of OWN.

good thing that stupid channel was not put in place of channel 11.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

I wish they'd put something instead of the blue notice on 114.
mbernste

mbernste

MVM

Click for full size
Someone must've forgotten to tell the Optimum.net web team that the NFL free preview is over.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

Yeah, the OWN notice is on the generic screen, but once I sign in I get the NFL notice too.