Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

Speed

I switched to Sonic at the end of last year because I couldn't get satisfaction from AT&T customer support. Because I am out of Sonic's area they still have to use AT&T infrastructure to provide their service but I have a much more stable connection.

My OS is Ubuntu 12.04 and today I downloaded the latest and greatest Chromium browser (Version 23.0.1262.0). I have been using Chromium since last November and today's version marks a measurable difference in speed and performance. I just thought I would alert people to this positive development and see if there are others that experience the same thing.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by unibroker:

I switched to Sonic at the end of last year because I couldn't get satisfaction from AT&T customer support. Because I am out of Sonic's area they still have to use AT&T infrastructure to provide their service but I have a much more stable connection.

I am pretty sure nobody outside of Sonic.net's "area" can get Sonic.net service.

Sonic.net does offer their own product ("Fusion") where they have their own ADSL2+ equipment in an AT&T CO.

Where "Fusion" isn't available within the AT&T footprint, Sonic.net resells AT&T ADSL service.

Even where "Fusion" is available, Sonic.net still uses AT&T copper from the CO to the premises.

Only in the limited area of FTTH deployment does Sonic.net have there own infrastructure.

My OS is Ubuntu 12.04 and today I downloaded the latest and greatest Chromium browser (Version 23.0.1262.0). I have been using Chromium since last November and today's version marks a measurable difference in speed and performance. I just thought I would alert people to this positive development and see if there are others that experience the same thing.

I have set up two Sonic.net "Fusion" lines; one at a premises which formerly had AT&T ADSL service. Performance is, indeed improved; due to the fact that Sonic.net does not sell tiered profiles.

I am not certain I can explain improved performance on a resold AT&T line, where Sonic.net resells AT&T tiered ADSL profiles.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to unibroker

Have you just not updated your profile to show a new location?

Sonic.net is only available in the Northern California Bay area, and not in the Los Angeles area, such as Altadena (at least as far as I know )

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

Profile is current. Sonic is my ISP. I have to provide dial tone from AT&T.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Tobester

said by Tobester:

Sonic.net is only available in the Northern California Bay area, and not in the Los Angeles area, such as Altadena (at least as far as I know )

"Fusion" is, I believe, only available in the S.F. Bay Area. Resold AT&T DSL should be available anywhere in the AT&T footprint in California.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
reply to unibroker

Hate to jinx myself but has any other Sonic customer experienced improved reliability with respect to stability of their connection? I used to have minor disconnects (lose sync) during the day lasting 1 to 2 minutes and one major disconnect. Over the last couple of weeks I have had no disconnects and that's with some major area power issues.

If I should have started a new post let me know