how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

Google Apps dropping support for IE8

"As we announced last year, we support the latest version of Google Chrome (which automatically updates whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available) as well as the current and prior major release of Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version of one of these browsers is released, we begin supporting the update and stop supporting the third-oldest version.

Internet Explorer 10 launches on 10/26/2012, and as a result, we will discontinue support for Internet Explorer 8 shortly afterwards, on 11/15/2012. After this date users accessing Google Apps services using Internet Explorer 8 will see a message recommending that they upgrade their browser."

»googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2···net.html

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Between the lines:

If you are still on Windows XP, you can no longer access Google Apps with Internet Explorer.

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

They wanna cripple you if you use a older version.
Youtube is already messing stuff up for IE users.

A few things are not working on youtube, including the flag feature.

»productforums.google.com/forum/#···4kz8gehU

It's a shame because I hate IE9

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

reply to lorennerol

said by lorennerol:

If you are still on Windows XP, you can no longer access Google Apps with Internet Explorer.

Good thing I don't (and never will) use Google Apps

Or IE for that matter.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

said by lorennerol:

Or IE for that matter.

I think Google aps means pretty much everything, like youtube and gmail and now virus total

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to evoxllx

I am still using ie 5.0 and happy with it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by silentlooker:

On Windows 3.1?

I have IE 5.x (16-bit) in a Win3.1 VM.
--

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

said by StuartMW:

said by silentlooker:

On Windows 3.1?

I have IE 5.x (16-bit) in a Win3.1 VM.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10
reply to StuartMW

I forgot Internet Explorer 5.0 works with Windows 3.1!!!
I think I installed it on an old Compaq Presario with 5 -8 floppy diskettes.
That's actually amazing itself!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Yep.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_E···irements

It actually "works" in my Win3.1 WfWG 3.11 (with add-on MS TCP/IP stack) VM. That said most sites don't render properly and/or have major JavaScript errors.
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

said by StuartMW:

said by lorennerol:

Or IE for that matter.

I think Google aps means pretty much everything, like youtube and gmail and now virus total

No These are the apps

»googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/s···e%20Apps

»googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/s···Business

»googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/s···ducation
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to evoxllx

stupid google.. IE 8 is the most current version of IE for windows xp (not that i don't consider IE 8 to be garbage, as IE 7 was, before it)..

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to evoxllx

I'm waiting for a Dude111 See Profile post about how good IE6 is
--

Expand your moderator at work

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

Re: Google Apps dropping support for IE8

Click for full size
Hey Dude..youtubbie claims I am running IE7 but it's really IE6.. How about you ?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

. o O (Well that oughta get us an all-caps rant)
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 edit
reply to evoxllx

Well, good...

1. I'm impatiently waiting for the time, when browsers will start updating their versions couple of times per month. That will be real fun

2. At the moment I'm browsing the Internet on WXP computer with hosts file containing:
127.0.0.1 ajax.googleapis.com
So, I guess respect (and the need for each other) is mutual
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Name Game

Click for full size
IE 5.0 (16-bit) in WfWG 3.11
Well I can't get here from there

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Click for full size
At least you got to the front door

DownTheShore
Russia Lies, Ukraine Dies
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to evoxllx

Just checked to see which version I have on the laptop - IE7. The only time I use it now is when I've printed something to a file; the file then always opens up in IE. I suppose there's a way to change the default opening program for .xps files, but I haven't bothered.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to OZO

Click for full size
said by OZO:

Well, good...

1. I'm impatiently waiting for the time, when browsers will start updating their versions couple of times per month. That will be real fun

2. At the moment I'm browsing the Internet on WXP computer with hosts file containing:
So, I guess respect is mutual

cool..that is a great page to block..I don't block it because it's ..Mac people had that problem when..

"Looks like if you have this error you downloaded Parallels from torrent, and added to hosts file one line containing ajax.googleapis.com.
So go to terminal and type:
sudo nano /etc/hosts

inside the editor find for the line

and remove it or comment it out."

ajax.googleapis.com is a CDN repository for the popular jquery javascript functionality plus others that modern websites utilise.
If you block this then you will stop some website's functioning as it was designed to work.

For websites..

Both Google and Microsoft host several different versions of jQuery and other JavaScript frameworks. It saves you from having to download and store the jQuery framework, but it has a much bigger advantage: Because the file comes from a common URL that other websites may use as well, chances are that when people reaches your website and their browser requests the jQuery framework, it may already be in the cache, because another website is using the exact same version and file. Besides that, most CDN's will make sure that once a user requests a file from it, it's served from the server closest to them, so your European users won't have to get the file all the way from the US and so on.

You can use jQuery from a CDN just like you would do with the downloaded version, only the URL changes. For instance, to include jQuery 1.5.1 from Google, you would write the following:
»www.jquery-tutorial.net/introduc···started/

jQuery
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JQuery

3 reasons why you should let Google host jQuery for you

»encosia.com/3-reasons-why-you-sh···for-you/
»encosia.com/do-you-know-about-th···feature/
»developers.google.com/speed/libraries/

--
Gladiator Security Forum

Netkeys

join:2000-12-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to evoxllx

Wait for there corporate clients to threaten to leave Google docs and Google will be changing there mind. Most corporations are still using XP and IE 8 is the latest version that runs on XP.

Google is nuts if they thing they can force customers to upgrade when even MS hasn't been able to get most companies to upgrade and you can bet if they haven't gone to windows 7 they will not be going to windows 8.

This time there policy isn't in sink with the real world especially corporations.

OZO
Premium
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

3 reasons why you should let Google host jQuery for you

And I have my million reasons to block that host:
1. JavaScript from that host makes tracking users easier

And, so far, blocking that host working well with all web sites, that I want to visit, including this forum too, BTW.
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Yer Funny..now if you said jQuery was your concern because a site might use it to find out what browser you are using etc. I would understand since your privacy concerns are well known..but blocking google site that hosts the stuff is just fud since you and I both know ways to stop sites from from tracking..and it sure would not be plunking that in a host file.
It just slows down the load and other things in many browsers.
All web site do not even use it from that place..so it can't as you say 'work for all sites".

OZO
Premium

said by Name Game:

It just slows down the load and other things in many browsers.

Really? I'm sure, it's just an opposite. Putting mentioned earlier host name in hosts file speeds up browsing because browser saves time on downloading JQuery library and it doesn't run those scripts on background. Second, to know which particular browser user uses to browse web site there is no need to run JavaScript. That info is part of the header, provided with every request it sends. Third, if you and I both know that we have to stop tracking our web browsing habits by data collecting services, like Google, we also know, that one of the well known and simple ways is to put offending site into the hosts file. That's exactly what and why I do it -- to protect myself from Google, tracking what I'm doing on the Internet. And finally fourth, I said putting the site into my hosts file works for me for all sites I want to visit, not for all sites as you've mentioned. It's a slight, but nevertheless important difference, don't you think?.

BBR site uses JQuery for the sole purpose of tracking its users. If JQuery is blocked here it will not brake any important function on this site, even one. But Google (and you, mentioned in your post the importance of JQuery it in bold) still suggest everyone to use it anyway...
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

The protecting yourself from google is the fud. and your saved time thing is negligible ...beside the fact certain website and pages are going to be slow as molasses without it on some form elements you are screwed.

»encosia.com/dont-let-jquerys-doc···ou-down/

»web.enavu.com/daily-tip/disablin···-jquery/

You better start doing some more blocking

The jQuery library is a single JavaScript file, containing all of its common DOM, event, effects, and Ajax functions. It can be included within a web page by linking to a local copy, or to one of the many copies available from public servers. jQuery has a CDN sponsored by Media Temple[10] (previously at Amazon[11]). Google [12] and Microsoft[13] host it as well.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JQuery

might even be some of the reasons Mele20 has a hard time making a page display correctly beside the font and dpi thing.

When a page is set up correctly the tax is nothing...
»samsaffron.com/archive/2012/02/1···uery-tax
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Cartel

Yes well luckily gmail works FINE on IE6

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to OZO

I dont have that blocked Name Game and i still get a 404 error on ajax.googleapis.com (Nothing good comes from this anyway (Just tracking stuff,etc))

Expand your moderator at work

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Dude111

Re:  

News for you..everyone will get a 404 on ajax.googleapis.com..has nothing to do with blocking it serves up stuff..and not a website you can access with your browser. it is even out with https.