billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to graej

Re: New to Centurylink - DSL - internet connection issues

Make sure that Every Thing connected to a phone jack, except the modem, has a DSL filter on it. Check the status page in the modem for SNR and Attenuation. Connect the modem directly to the NID and check again to see if there is a significant difference in the numbers. Post the results and we'll go from there.

graej

join:2012-09-14
Garner, NC
The tech that set it all up filtered the whole house because we are getting our house alarm updated to use the new phone line we got. The one wall outlet we have just has one plug and there is a "premier" splitter on it that has a jack for phone and a jack for dsl.

I will take a look at the other items you mentioned. Thank you for the reply by the way, what is the NID? I am new to dsl.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
The NID is the box on the outside of the residence that the line from the pole runs to.

graej

join:2012-09-14
Garner, NC
Okay, Please bare with my confusion. Are we talking about some how directly connecting to the box outside the house, or just removing the splitter at the single phone jack that we have in our house and plugging the modem directly into that? (basically, without the splitter)

As far as the SNR and attenuation stats, please see the ones below for when everything is plugged up with the splitter, phone, and modem.

DSL Power

Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR 16.4 dB 11.0 dB
Attenuation 16.1 dB 8.8 dB

Once I better understand what you are asking as it pertains to plugging directly into the NID, I can get that info and post it.

Thanks

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
Were talking the box that is on the outside of the residence (attached to the side of the house)

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_in···e_device

This link shows a picture of one looks like (or very close).

When you open the main cover, there will be a "phone co side" which will have another cover on it & a "consumer side"

On the consumer side, there might be some wires & usually on the top there will be a retangular cover, that act like a "door", "unclip" this on one side, (so it opens) . Once "open" you will see a phone jack. This is where you would plug in the modem. While you are testing, the phones inside the residence won't work because that little "door" acts like a connector.

Plug the modem in & if possible connect the computer to it (either wireless or long ethernet) and try reduplicating the tasks you've been doing that creates it to drop.

If you get the drop as often then there is problem with the line coming in from the pole. If there is no drop, then the problem is with the wiring inside your residence.

I did find a video on YT, that shows the NIC box. At 1:11, it shows the picture of the rectangular cover, that I'm talking about above (The door is on the top right with two circles on top of each other on the left side of the door, & 3 squares right next to each other on the bottom left

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFCWmjdPC2E

said by graej:

Okay, Please bare with my confusion. Are we talking about some how directly connecting to the box outside the house, or just removing the splitter at the single phone jack that we have in our house and plugging the modem directly into that? (basically, without the splitter)

As far as the SNR and attenuation stats, please see the ones below for when everything is plugged up with the splitter, phone, and modem.

DSL Power

Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR 16.4 dB 11.0 dB
Attenuation 16.1 dB 8.8 dB

Once I better understand what you are asking as it pertains to plugging directly into the NID, I can get that info and post it.

Thanks