Premium
join:2001-12-27
Rocky River, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

better then duct tape

Click for full size
I guess a Windstream Field tech thinks its ok to mount routers with string to a peg board. Funny thing the wiring closet is on the other side of that wall.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

I've done that with zip ties and a small ATA, but never with a big enterprise switch like that. (I also don't butcher my cables like that...)

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state
reply to quaker

Man this does have wind stream written all over it! Just the quality shit work we've come to expect.

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to quaker

I'm a windstream rep and this is just appalling! Going to forward this to a senior rep for action. There is no reason to install a router like that. If you PM your contact info I can pass that along also.

quaker
Premium
Rocky River, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I have all ready passed this on to my project manager for this MPLS build. Also sent a stern email stating they need to come back out and install in the wiring closet properly. The tech's excuse was the router didn't come with the arms so he couldn't mount it in the closet. The other 5 sites that i have turned up the hardware install was pretty decent, this was the odd ball one. Another funny comment the tech told my people is apparently he does this a lot. The one engineer said my email has made its travel through the company all ready, but the internet does a better job at it.

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state

You should link this in the public windstream Internet forum here...

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to quaker

I have several hundred Windstream (CLEC Side) circuits across the southeast that we manage for our customers. I would have to say that this is not a normal install for them and that I have never seen anything like it.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to quaker

Did he at least use waxed lacing string?
Nice to see another northeast Ohio guy. Even at&t would not do that!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to quaker

As soon as the string deteriorates enough that thing is hitting the deck in a bad way.

Also, is that ... cable ... for ethernet, or some other kind of circuit?

battleop

My guess is that it's for 2 T1s in a Multilink Bundle. I wonder if this was done by a Windstream tech or a contractor.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

quaker
Premium
Rocky River, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to quaker

to update, windstream has came out to fix the install now its correctly mounted in my wiring closet. Mind you it took the tech 2 times to finally get it put in the wiring closet but its there now.

This was 1 of many 3Mb MPLS turn ups and the worst hardware install of them all. I have 2 more locations to go and my Columbus location is proving to be a pain in the butt in dealing with the (LEC) AT&T bringing in (7) T1's. They installed 4 of the 7 and then it dawns on them that they have to install repeaters to get the others installed. So far we have had about 7 AT&T tech's come to do a site survey.

quaker
Premium
Rocky River, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

My guess is that it's for 2 T1s in a Multilink Bundle. I wonder if this was done by a Windstream tech or a contractor.

Tech

battleop

Maybe he had a winning lottery ticket in his pocket.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by battleop:

Maybe he had a winning lottery ticket in his pocket.

Or expected to be fired anyways. I have to say, this is a first.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to quaker

Why 7 T1's?

for that cost I'd expect a T3 to be considered.

quaker
Premium
Rocky River, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by DarkLogix:

Why 7 T1's?

for that cost I'd expect a T3 to be considered.

Because of the build out that would have to be done. I was trying to go for fiber to the the building because i'm not a fan of that many bonded T's. The cost was the determining factor. If i remember correctly it was ~2 grand a month difference. I guess Windstream just signed a contract with AT&T for fiber build out were those T's are being installed at so its only a matter of time before i convert those T1's over to fiber.

AT&T owns pretty much all of the last mile everywhere in ohio except a few locations. So getting them to update there dated copper lines usually never happens unless you pay the inflated rate.

battleop

reply to DarkLogix

8 T1s is much cheaper than a DS3/T3 by at least half the price. In most places you can get 8 T1s in a couple of weeks where it would be months for a DS3 or T3. Even a Metro E product will take around 90 days to install.
--