how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA

Are Download Caps In Effect Now?

Just came back from a few months abroad and couldn't find any recent info regarding this. Is the 250GB cap in place now?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
No. ATT's failure to enforce or even track monthly caps is Uverse's saving grace. There is only a broken warning policy for ADSL2+ Uverse, no overages for monthly usage.

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to St0ry
Also the option to check your usage online seems to be non functional at this time as well, at least it is for me when I try to check it.
»www.att.com/olam/loginAction.ola···rget=BBU
High Speed Internet Data Usage Since Last Bill Details

Note: Your usage is not yet available for display. You should not be concerned about your usage for billing purposes. AT&T will keep you informed about your data usage via email.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage.

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA
reply to St0ry
Thanks, that's good to know.

wolfofone

join:2012-02-22
united state
reply to bennor
I remember when I had Uverse Internet+TV that they did not/could not track usage so there was not a cap, but is that still the case if I have Internet only (VDSL)?

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
said by wolfofone:

I remember when I had Uverse Internet+TV that they did not/could not track usage so there was not a cap, but is that still the case if I have Internet only (VDSL)?

Still the case. I also have Internet only.

wolfofone

join:2012-02-22
united state
Oh, awesome I was worried, since I'm transferring from Comcast who isn't enforcing caps in my area right now, that I'd have to watch my usage more closely but I guess not! So the 250GB caps they list during sign up and such is just to cover their butts? heh

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by wolfofone:

So the 250GB caps they list during sign up and such is just to cover their butts? heh

Basically, yes. The Terms of Services makes the statement, and AT&T has the option to enforce the cap, but at this point it has not been enforced.

But as the statement is in the TOS, that could change at any point in the future

Wingless60

join:2009-07-30
Athens, TN
reply to St0ry
I always thought it was odd that I can leave all three of my televisions running HD content 24/7 which takes up several terabytes of data but for some reason there is a cap (not enforced) of 250 gigabytes for data. What's the difference?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Wingless60:

I always thought it was odd that I can leave all three of my televisions running HD content 24/7 which takes up several terabytes of data but for some reason there is a cap (not enforced) of 250 gigabytes for data. What's the difference?

The IPTV traffic never transmits over the public internet -- it is carried over AT&T's internal IP network from Kansas City to your VHO then your VRAD then to your house

Most internet traffic leaves AT&T's IP network at some point and connects to other peers. Depending on peering agreements, there are probably additional costs associated there

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by ILpt4U:

said by Wingless60:

The IPTV traffic never transmits over the public internet -- it is carried over AT&T's internal IP network from Kansas City to your VHO then your VRAD then to your house

Most internet traffic leaves AT&T's IP network at some point and connects to other peers. Depending on peering agreements, there are probably additional costs associated there

Yes, but the 'expensive' bandwidth is that of the last mile which is still utilized.. It seems stupid to me. Bandwidth is so cheap these days once you get past the last mile so there is really no valid reason for them to have pitiful limits like 250GB not to mention what they would want to charge for overages... Its really a joke.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Wingless60
said by Wingless60:

The difference is you are buying their tv service versus not buying and potentially buying competition (Netflix), so they must cap you because that means that suddenly if you use the competition they have no more bandwidth, duh