Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Wheel-drive vs Track-drive vs Tractor-mounted Snow Blowers

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by iknow:

the track drive will have a lot more rubber on the ground, so better traction. that's why snowmobiles use a track instead of wheels.

That's what I've been thinking too. I am tempted by the snow blower for the AWD rider, but without chains, I just don't know if a 16.5% slope will be too much when trying to throw snow while going uphill. The track-drive standalone snow blower is probably the best guaranteed traction of the choices on the table.

In comparing the 1827EXLT vs 1830EXLT, the 1830 has 3 more inches of width, but also the 1830 has a 12" diameter auger, and the 1827 has a 4.7" diameter auger. Here is the direct comparison:
»www.husqvarna.com/us/pro ··· 2,551530

Why the massive difference in auger size? What implications does that have for each machine's performance?

the larger auger will enable you to move deeper snow faster. btw, the AWD rider is not meant for snow(no weights or chains). now if you had a tractor with a hard cab, wheel weights, and chains, that would be worth getting the snow blower for. you'd stay warm and dry too.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by iknow:

btw, the AWD rider is not meant for snow(no weights or chains).

I would have to beg to differ on that:
Snow Thrower:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0yl3dbQ0

Snow Thrower:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· z1_525Os

Snow Blade:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· NvGeZtEk

Snow Blade:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AC76bsfc

Broom:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· M6lPMOo0

I think the dual transmissions in AWD models don't need chains or weights for snow removal but are available/needed for the 2wd Riders. Question is... could AWD do as well moving snow on sloped surfaces as it does on flat surfaces?