how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ltyod

join:2008-08-03
Mississauga, ON

SB6121 modem firmware

I got the SB6121 a few months ago, back when the Teksavvy site said it was supporting the 1.0.5.1.

All was fine for quite awhile. Then it seemed there was issues.

Initially the TSI tech determined it was a line issue being too high so they sent a Rogers tech over. This tech changed the cable wires cause it was too old and set up his own splitters (as there is only one cable connection to the house and it gets split from the tv to the modem). When they left it was working for some time, then it started not working again.

I then called TSI and the tech filed a report for Rogers to look at. The problem went away b/c everything was working again.

However, a few days ago this problem is continuing where the signal levels are too high. The most recent tech I spoke to said the modem was 1.0.5.1 and was not supported. They said the newest firmware update (he thinks) fixes the problem of the signal/modem reboots.

They told me it could not be updated and suggested a/ buy a new modem from them and b/ switch it with someone else to determine if it is indeed the modem or if it is a line. They didn't bother creating a ticket.

My current signal levels (the internet is working but slow):
»i49.tinypic.com/2nu4vmo.jpg

When I first got it it was 4 channels up and down.

I'm wondering what to do next?

a/ Will TSI update the firmware somehow through Rogers?
b/ Get a new modem for $100?
c/ Call Motorola and complain? Not sure what they will do about this. My 30 days have expired so I can't return it, but am still covered by the 1 year warranty.

Please let me know.

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1

Teksavvy should be able to get Rogers to push the new firmware.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to ltyod

If your in the GTA dslr member Teddy Boom does updates for $10 I think

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to ltyod

The upstream is way too high at 58 dBmV. This will cause the modem to reset to try to connect. Generally speaking, if a modem is doing 50 + dBmV it may have problems staying connected.

Get a 10 dBmV reverse cable amp and install it... this should fix the problem with the return.

Edit: The reverse amp would only band-aid the problem.. which is likely somewhere on the cable system in your neighborhood. [Or a few miles down depending on what it is.]

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to ltyod

Def not the firmware, I'm using 1.0.5.0 and it's fine. 4 channel bonded both ways, but my downstream power is higher & upstream is lower.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to ltyod

Definitely a signal issue. That 58dBmV upstream means the modem is screaming towards the head end to be heard. It's curious that it's right on the money for the downstream.

Something definitely wrong somewhere on that cable.

DON'T use a booster. That won't work. in this case.

yyzUnderdog
Premium
join:2001-11-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to ltyod

I agree with HKpolice. I am on SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH and it works fine.

downstream is 4 channels -2 -3 dBmV across them
upstream is 4 channels 36-37 dBmV across them
--
-Tim

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to ltyod

The firmware upgrade isn't going to fix the technical problem, but it will fix the bureaucratic problem.

I'm happy to do it, and I'm available almost any time. Bathurst and College.

mlord in Ottawa can probably do it too, though his equipment is currently tailored to the DCM475.

(Edit: And if anybody hasn't been following progress in the other thread, the DCM475 can now be upgraded too)

--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

ltyod

join:2008-08-03
Mississauga, ON
reply to ltyod

Thanks everyone!

I'll definitely give Teksavvy a call and ask them to check up on the line. I'll also ask if they can push the updated firmware to my router (if they do that, does it void my warranty with Motorola?). If that fails, I'll try the reverse amp option.