Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nemesis158

join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA
reply to retiredqwest

Re: [Qwest] Centurylink upgrades speeds, but service is horrible

Moran CO is where my Internet originates. i did some digging around along time ago and found that. from there my guess would have to be that there is a fiber line running down hatch to 195, then immediately turning off on White rd (or comes down the hill not following hatch, and crosses the highway). it follows white rd until it hits cedar road, and about 100ft down the road it goes into a larger DSLAM at 8101 S Cedar road. my guess would then be that it follows the T1 circuit down cedar until taylor or gibbs (gibbs more likely), then over to sherman and down to my terminal. that route makes the most sense

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to retiredqwest

area map
Ive made a little map here. this is the Wireline download map from Wabroadbandmapping.org, with markers of hardware and lines of cable routes.
red lines are known cable routes, while black and grey are the ones that are unknown, since they aren't marked any better.
I have to say that im 99% sure i am served by the sherman terminal, because NOANET and the Port of Whitman County were laying a fiber line down the road and they tore the whole copper carrier line for my whole neighborhood out of the ground just up the road along that dark red line. there are other terminals up on Cheney-Spokane road, but knowing that Moran CO is where my stuff comes from it just would make sense that the route doesn't follow those.

whats really odd is that centurylink reported to the site that they can serve 10-25 (most likely 12 or 15 max) across the street from me, and my phone line originates on the other side of the road. i dunno.......

retiredqwest

join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA
I'll just say this, I'm not impressed by the accuracy of that website.....

Fiber west on 57th down Hatch and West on White would make more sense to get to Sherman. If you want grab some photos of the boxes at Cedar and White, I'm going to guess the large box on the field side is a Litespan 2000 which is only fiber fed.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to Nemesis158
Hi,

We would be happy to help with your questions on your service if you email us your information talktous@centurylink.com

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
talktous@centurylink.com
Centurylink Help Team

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to retiredqwest
Click for full size
The Terminal at White & cedar
here is a pic of the large terminal on cedar.
code on the main box is:
SPKNWA RPH01
RT S8223 CEDAR

it says Binford 2000 under the code/adress.

I was able to catch a guy working at this terminal when i went to town today, so i told him what was going on and he said he would check it out and see if i needed to be moved to another gateway/dslam

The large box on sherman says Northern Telecom on it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Nemesis158:

The large box on sherman says Northern Telecom on it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Telecom

Equipment manufacturer.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

retiredqwest

Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
Binford 2000 is a local joke..... Tim the Tool Man....anyway.

At Cedar The big cabinet in the back is a Litespan 2000 fiber fed. And looks like the fiber stops there. On the right is a x-connect box. The light green cabinet street side is a splice chamber. And the vented cabinet is the ADSL cabinet fed with fiber. The white cabinet on the left looks like an old N1 analog carrier repeater. Don't know why that is still there.

At Sherman the RPG is a NT DSMUrban. The 3 other vented cabs are ALL ADSL fed from the Cedar Litespan via copper T1's. And they all have 8 T1 feeder capability, don't know if they are all active.

And at Keeney and Paradise is a SLC-96 with no ADSL cabinet.

So, at Sherman you might see if you can get someone to cut your DSL line to a different system since there are 3 of them there. And a outside tech has to redo the jumpers at the x-connect.

One thing I noticed is there is no VDSL2+ node at Cedar, which makes sense since 40M/5M only reaches out about 2000 wire feet from the node. I did some unscientific calculations on my neighborhood since I know the routes of the cabling. Each situation will vary because of cable gauging.

At Cedar I tried an address about 1000 ft south on Cedar Road and it came back 20M/896K. But what caught me off guard is it is ADSL. I only tried the one address since I'm not positive about the cable routing down there.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
what i don't quite get is why there is only one adsl cabinet at the cedar terminal and 3 at the Sherman terminal. is it dependent on what is feeding them?

Also, im not sure but i think the guy may have figured out what was going on, at least partially. im getting almost 3.3 on speetest at 1pm, and that's like unheard off. the samknows graph also started out much more consistent today. time will tell i guess.

retiredqwest

Spokane, WA
said by Nemesis158:

what i don't quite get is why there is only one adsl cabinet at the cedar terminal and 3 at the Sherman terminal. is it dependent on what is feeding them?

Comcast provides service around Cedar and White. I don't know how far south they go. Supply and demand and there is always the ROI......

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
well im not sure if it means anything, but on thursday morning our internet got disconnected, and reconnected a little while later. problem is, currently its stuck at 0.8mbit down / 0.6mbit up.
these values are the same as those we saw during the 4 days before it was upgraded. is this some kind of line test phase or is it just setup incorrectly?

mdrift

join:2003-08-15
Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
Looks like you'll have to wait a few years for more of the infrastructure build out ear marked for the county off I-195. 85% of all growth in Spokane County is ear-marked from I-90 down the I-195 corridor When the overpasses come in on Hatch Rd up to Cheney Rd you can bet fiber will be trenched as all the sub-burbs are getting zoned out.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
Not my ideal solution, but they put us back at 1.5. i would have liked to keep a faster speed, but id rather have something consistent than have faster speed capability but never reach it and go lower than what we had on a daily basis.

I might not have to wait so long for other services though.
Northwest Open Access Network (NOANET) and the Port of Whitman County partnered up on a federal BTOP Grant to lay a Leaseable dark fiber line down through whitman county. This fiber line got laid right past my house. all i gotta do is make sure another ISP is interested in installing access in my area. i already know of several people around my neighborhood who would gladly switch to fiber internet......

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
We are still getting slowdowns during peak times and we cant even play games online if someone is on the internet. pings spike to over 2000 even. i am convinced it is probably more likely that the F/O connection from Moran CO to the Cedar Terminal is overloaded. if they ran more T1 circuits to the Sherman terminal then this could have been overlooked and be the issue.

retiredqwest

Spokane, WA
Litespan's use OC-3 cards that are 155 MB or 100 T-1's. The fiber is not the problem.....

And there is no lack of spare fiber at White and Cedar. It's either a 72 or 144 fiber cable. I caught the company placing fiber down Northwest Blvd a few years ago for VDSL2+ and it was 576 ribbon fiber cable.

At Sherman Remote, there are 2 4 slot bays for T-1 cards that were stenciled as being tied back to Cedar. I didn't look in them to see if they were all plugged.

Have you checked your wan stats lately? The wan stats only measure from the dslam to your modem... but any little thing can affect speed.

A traceroute will tell you more than any ping will.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
I can't check my signal stats as i have my Modem setup in bridged mode so that my router handles everything. i dont think signal is the issue however, since there wasn't any significant change in recorded Packet loss before and after they upgraded the speed and when they dropped it back down ( i read somewhere that very poor signal would lead to lots of packet loss on Dsl connections). here is a traceroute:
1: 192.168.1.1 (router)
2. 67.5.64.194 spok-dsl-gw02-194.spok.qwest.net (terminal sherman or cedar, or Moran CO?)
3. 67.5.65.9 spok-agw1.inet.qwest.net (moran CO or spokane central office?)
4. 67.14.41.62 sea-edge-12.inet.qwest.net (network edge in seattle)

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA

1 edit
reply to retiredqwest
Click for full size
CRC Errors?
Just did another throughput test using wireshark, and it looks like a bunch of CRC errors (graph 6 at the test page). not sure what to think here.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
Caught another Tech parked by the terminal on my way to the PO today. Guess i need to go to the PO more often.

Anyways, he gave me more of a straight answer and actually looked up stats on my line. He informed me that CL is now aware of a very serious problem with congestion. Each Terminal has 8 T1 Feeder capability, but only two of them are wired up for the most part. Box #1 has 139 Users connected to it (i can understand aggregation, but what would happen if all 139 of those people were to try and download something at the same time? 1.5x8=12/139=0.08mbit/s ). the second Box has 69. the third box (the newest one) only has 9 People connected to it (as it only has 1 T1 Feeder wired up). The tech pulled up an Alert warning all techs not to move any users to different DSLAMs.

He said there was a Work order put in for the engineers to allocate more T1 circuits or even possibly to install a new DSLAM box. He was unsure of the details of the project but it is not slated to be completed until the 30th of November. he said he would talk to the engineers and see if he could get a better timeline.

He also informed me that our Bump up to 3.3 was probably a mistake, as they do have a program which bumps users on 1.5mbit connections to whatever their line can handle, but said program is only suppose to be active on terminals which are Fiber-fed, not T1.

What i dont understand is, Barring Distance, Why is a 4 strand Copper T1 line Limited to 1.5Mbit/s? If i can get 3.3 on 2 strand with an operating Phone line, then theoretically shouldn't a 4 strand dedicated line be able to push more like 10Mbit?

Another thing the tech mentioned was that the T1 feeder lines might be coming Directly from the Moran CO and not the cedar terminal.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
A common story unfortunately. My DSL lines can support 14 Mbps.
Our DSLAM-1 is also fed by 8 T1s, used for hundreds of houses for voice and data. When 3 T1 lines were broken last year, what a mess, took CL months to fix them.

I just got rid of my SamKnows router, as it really is a waste of time. It doesn't log data when the DSL is down for days at a time.

All you can do is contact the FCC, the WA PUC, the WA attorney general office and complain about false advertising practices.

I for one am not voting for the current attorney general for the governor position. He just protects big businesses and ignores the citizens who pay the taxes.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
Ive got a bit of an update here, Still no details though.
I just looked up the Latest Meeting Minutes on the Port of Whitman County's website, from november 1st, and i found that
CenturyLink is Going to be Leasing Fiber Optic cable on the route past my house.

What im hoping this means is that they will be able to put Fiber-Fed DSLAMs closer to my house, and depending on where they put them, we should be able to get 7-12Mb/s

The Meeting minutes stated that the Fiber line is nearly complete (so it could be finished by now) which means that CenturyLink should be able to do their work quickly, since the cable is already all laid. all they have to do is Put DSLAMs near the Access holes and run the existing phone line bundles through them.